#1 Russell C

Russell C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Full Name:Russell Cook

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

Don't know if other modelers do this with customs, but for me, when I get an idea for a one, I can usually see it reasonably clear in my mind's eye. I always feel more confident to butcher some kits after I create an illustration, though.  My avatar 911 woody wagon is one such example, but since that one dates to B.C. time (before computers, for me anyway) I had to sketch it out using pencil tracings from a Porsche brochure.

Trained graphic artist that I am these days, I swipe various photos off the internet and hack them up in my CorelDRAW program. Visualize having multiple copies of a photograph and using a virtual scissors to cut 'em into pieces, layering the pieces on until the desired look is achieved. I used to do this stuff in PhotoShop, but I can't afford the upgrade that would make my old version 7 work on my newer iMac.

Since Dan Palatnik is showing off his original 3D drawings in his own thread in this forum, I thought I'd start off mine here with a hat tip to two of his pieces. The first one was purely for my own satisfaction, to see if a 3-wheeled '49 Ford could be done to keep up my running joke of such vehicles for the GSL "Group" category. It worked, as can be seen here, Dan's original is at this link, and right below is my alteration of it. Dan had a good laugh at it when I emailed it to him in 2013.

23wso69.jpg

Next is a more recent alteration of Dan's set that was a '54 Pontiac, where I tortured bits from his '57 wagon to fit on it (the passenger side headlight is out-of-perspective).  I believe the overall idea would work out reasonably well using parts from most any '57 kit and the Monogram '53 Chevy (or whatever else is out there that I'm not aware of), but at the rate I'm going, this is a project I most likely will never have time to get to. Dan is a good sport about my alterations of his work.

34y9o2a.jpg

Then there's this one, where I snagged some photos of a 1:1 Robertsham LLC custom kit car version of the Daytona Coupe (originals are the small inset pics). Much as I love the original Daytona Coupe, the kammback always looked like such an unsightly afterthought, to I grafted on a regular Cobra roadster back end, and then did various other proportional tweaks, as in shortening the hood just a bit while lengthening the cabin just a bit. No offense to the Shelby designers, but maybe it sorta evens out the whole car a bit better. However, this is a project I'll never probably get around to building.....

2rw117b.jpg

My stuff isn't all that crisp or professional compared to others, and pro photo alteration guys will easily see the flaws in my work, but then again it's just a kind of virtual sketching exercise to see if some of my wacko ideas work or not. Trust me on this, some of 'em just obviously do not work, and I toss 'em into the virtual trashcan. But some are keepers since they seem like they are maybe 90% on the way to being an actually worthwhile idea. Stay tuned, I have a small stack of those to share.

#2 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

Those look pretty good, Russell. 

The Cobra is very subtle but a good blend of the coupe and roadster elements. 

I really like that Cheviac!  That would be a fun build!

#3 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:31 AM

I've been doing the same thing for years. It's a lot of fun...

charger3after.jpg

61impalaafter.jpg

67gtoafter.jpg

#4 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,589 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

Don't nomally like any changes to Cobra's but that Daytona looks killer !

#5 Russell C

Russell C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

'31 Cadillac Flatterphaeton

Another model - at least of this particular vehicle - that I won't get to, basically because I've chosen a different and potentially more interesting classic touring car. What prompted this idea was a little thumbnail I saw of this particular photo which somebody's computer scan file must have accidentally compressed vertically, giving it the look of the much flatter Ruxton phaeton… or the appearance of being sectioned.

So I took that photo along with two others and erased the section from the top of the rear fenders up to the interior openings. I've lowered the windshield / top on the last two photos, but never got around to lowering the windshield height on the first photo (oops, also cut the top off the front fender light). The last two photos have the vertical strip between the front and rear doors almost completely removed. The rear tires & wheels are wider in all three. Naturally, the kit to use is the Jo-Han '31 Caddy, which begs for either hand-laced wire wheels as in Jürgen Kowalski's thread here, or the alternate method like what Bob Steinbrunn is doing here.

Sure takes a lot of the top-heaviness out of the original car, I'll say that.

3521x13.jpg

1ysp51.jpg

e1aphs.jpg

#6 Russell C

Russell C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Another idea I had been kicking around after seeing a widebody Datsun 240Z was to take this Fujimi Fairlady kit and graft a 930 backend onto it, ditch the Porsche engine, but drop something spiffy in the front like a Ferrari V12, for a really weird mashup. Might keep folks guessing where the engine is 'till the front hood is popped open. Problem is, after doing this photo alteration, I really think those two cars don't go together...... So, I put this one in the no-go project pile, more for visible infeasibility.

21l32mb.jpg

Edited by Russell C, 09 June 2014 - 05:19 PM.