#41 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,847 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:28 AM

What has worked for me to avoid pooling is to turn my pressure up to 25-30 psi, and spray from about 10 inches away or so. And keep it moving!!

#42 my66s55

my66s55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:25 AM

Some people even dip the parts in it. A guy on the SA board did a tutorial how to.

#43 rickd13

rickd13

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Dattalo

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:45 AM

Can you apply Future over everything including bare metal foil? You can apply Future to your windshield and chrome also?

#44 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Yes, but there is no reason to clear over BMF.

#45 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

I just use a foam "brush" to apply it to the parts. Great thing is since there are no bristles, it provides a smooth coat as soon as it's applied.

#46 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,815 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

Does anyone know if future "goes bad"?

Only if hooked on drugs or if growing up in a bad neighborhood.

B)

:)

#47 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,815 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

Yes, but there is no reason to clear over BMF.

Actually, it can help 'anchor' BMF - by coating over gaps and overlaps thereby reducing the potential for snags that might peal BMF off.

#48 robdot

robdot

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Full Name:rob dotson

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

whats the best way to get future off my brush? anyone know? )

#49 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

whats the best way to get future off my brush? anyone know? )

Ammonia should take it right off------------just like it will take the shine off your floors. B)

#50 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

Actually, it can help 'anchor' BMF - by coating over gaps and overlaps thereby reducing the potential for snags that might peal BMF off.

Perhaps, but I have builds from 14+ years ago, the foil is not coming off at all. Just a simple observation, not trying to argue with you Dan. :D

Edited by midnightprowler, 14 March 2011 - 12:50 PM.

#51 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

While I have never tried it, a friend gets remarkable results by dipping his painted bodies in a container of Future.

I airbrush it as a clear coat when I use enamel on armor models. I am partial to using oils as washes so Future protects the enamel, and helps the oils flow into recesses and seams. I let the enamel cure for a week or so, then let the Future cure for a few days.

It makes a good clear parts adhesive, as well as making windshields sparkle.

Decal setting solution will fog Future if is not completely cured. If you polish a paint job with Novus, Future will bead up and be repelled from the surface. :)

G

#52 walt francis

walt francis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Full Name:Walt

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

I have only used Future for my clear and to clean it I just use windex works great and you can thin it with windex check out my glass repair in the tips .

#53 Ddms

Ddms

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kelly

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

YES! recently a bottle of it held -up a convenience store in New York ;) :D

It had been hanging around with model builders and was led astray. Who knows what the kid holds for this poor Future?

Edited by Ddms, 15 March 2011 - 05:39 PM.

#54 Ddms

Ddms

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kelly

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

Actually, Future makes a pretty good base for Spaz Stix. I've been using Alclad black basecoat until recently. I assume Future would work equally well under Alclad - and it's a lot cheaper and easier to apply than Alclad black basecoat. The thing is, it has a very high gloss, and I'm starting to realize that that's the key to nice looking sprayed-on chrome - IF the chrome will stick to it, which is not the case with a polished/compounded finish.

#55 asco

asco

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

Asking stupid questions here I guess, but I am pretty new with this Future -thingy, and I have to ask something. I have understood that I can use it to seal for example bigger body customizations etc., stright to the plastic. Then You could be able to primer the body and perhaps sand it and primer it again.

Am I wrong, I just didn't got the thingy working. Paint didn't stay on the waxed body. Quite a frustrating... It might have been the problem on primer too, cheap paints probably ain't the best ones...

But just to ask, am I on right track? I'm searching a way to keep the shaved handles and trims away.

Thanks. :D

#56 935k3

935k3

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Asking stupid questions here I guess, but I am pretty new with this Future -thingy, and I have to ask something. I have understood that I can use it to seal for example bigger body customizations etc., stright to the plastic. Then You could be able to primer the body and perhaps sand it and primer it again.

Am I wrong, I just didn't got the thingy working. Paint didn't stay on the waxed body. Quite a frustrating... It might have been the problem on primer too, cheap paints probably ain't the best ones...

But just to ask, am I on right track? I'm searching a way to keep the shaved handles and trims away.

Thanks. :P

Future will seal putty and body work and you can just about any paint over it but I would avoid waterbased acrylics like Tamiya in the bottle as it can crack.

#57 asco

asco

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

Future will seal putty and body work and you can just about any paint over it but I would avoid waterbased acrylics like Tamiya in the bottle as it can crack.

Thanks, I will continue testing different type of primers - that one really wasn't working properly, it was like I would have been painting over the wet soap or something, it just didn't stay on the surface.

#58 W117monte

W117monte

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Werley

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

I painted my interior tub flat black, then i brushed the console, rear seat and door panels with future. I thought this gave a realistic look. Not as glossy as gloss paint and a good look for the interior.

#59 charlzrocks

charlzrocks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

THANKS I will have to try that with my next build!

#60 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

Here's where I ask for some help from those who have used Future before, I'm at my wits end with this stuff. I got it tinted nicely, but can't get it applied evenly to save my life.

I tried dipping the windows in it....FAIL

I tried dipping just one side in it....FAIL

I tried brushing it on....FAIL

I tried airbrushing it (6 light mist coats @ 30psi)....FAIL

Here's a picture of what they look like, ignore the little black dots and lines, that's on the lamp base itself. They'll be making a trip into some fresh Future for stripping in a few minutes. I'm going to bash my head into the oak tree in the backyard.... :banghead:

Posted Image