#61 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:36 PM

Looks like it's reacting with the tint. Do the windows really need future on them? If you tint them from the inside,you shouldn't need it.

#62 Art Laski

Art Laski

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Full Name:Art Laski

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

Mike,

On this windscreen, I dipped it in future, then after it dried, I masked off the outer surface and sprayed Tamiya smoke through an airbrush to the inside. I may have been able to smoke it first, as I think some guys do that, but I didn't. I only wish I had put on a few less coats on the smoke so it was a little lighter, but I was generally pleased with it and it's still translucent.

Good Luck,

-Art

Posted Image

#63 customsrus

customsrus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Full Name:John Smiley

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

Hello, I know this has been asked before, I have never used this product and needed to know how to use it. Do you spray it diluted or straight out of the bottle. And does anyone have a tutorial on how to use future. Also what do you use to clean your airbrush after use. Any help would be appreciated Thanks John

Edited by customsrus, 26 March 2011 - 10:46 AM.

#64 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

This should tell you more than you want to know:

The Complete Future

#65 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

i have applied it both with a brush (straight future) and through an airbrush (mixed with some blue paint for tinting) and both ways worked fine for me

it appears to me you are putting on too much at once
especially with the airbrush you want to run a high air/future ratio (specially if you have a dual action brush, press it down all the way but only pull it back a little)
this stuff takes a while to dry and if you apply a wet coat over a not completly dry coat it will puddle

#66 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

Every one has a favorite method-here's how I did all the glass on my 1/12 GT. I did not tint it but food coloring should work or RIT Dye.
Round up some (almost) free materials:
Future.
A baking tin about 4" x 6" and 3" deep.
Clamp type wooden clothespins.
A shoebox or similar.
Four small jars of paint or similar.
A piece of paper towel.
Pick a dry, clean area to work with good light-no dust if possible. Lay the paper towel out flat.
Fill the baking tin nearly to the top with Future.
Clean the glass with a soft brush to get fine 'hairs' off-don't worry if it has minute scratches. Clamp the clothespin on the very corner of the glass so that the glass will touch down on the other corner and use the pin as a 'leg'.
Holding the clothespin, slowly dip the glass into the Future and remove it when completely immersed.
Lay the pin on it's side on the towel with just the corner of the glass touching the towel. You want the glass to touch down on just a corner, to wick off the Future. Get the glass as vertical as possible so the Future does not dry in 'waves'.
Slowly place the four jars around the glass in the shape of the shoebox's dimensions. Clean the inside of the box with a damp towel. Place the shoebox on the jars so it covers the glass but lets air in the sides. I like to let dry 6 to 12 hours. You can do all the pieces at once if they fit under the box. DO NOT touch when installing-use tweezers or clamps and the glass will be crystal clear. The Future will fill very minor scuffs if you had any. Good luck.

Edited by Cato, 28 March 2011 - 01:30 PM.

#67 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

I did not tint it but food coloring should work or RIT Dye..

I can tell you, RIT dye just clumps up badly, I tried that one first, made a heck of a mess to boot! :P

Eelco, I went with light mist coats about 10 inches from the pieces of glass, but apparently it was too much still. Cato's idea of "wicking" the excess Future off the glass sounds like a winner, the next time I try doing this, I'll give that a shot. I got the windows tinted using tint film, but modified my application method. I submerged the film in soapy water, then stuck the glass to the submerged film, eliminating any dust or hairs in the process. We'll see how they look tomorrow once the film has set up good and solidly!

Thanks for the help guys, now get back to the benches, these things don't build themselves you know! :D

#68 Jamez

Jamez

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Full Name:James

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:11 AM

A layer of future over a flat colour has a tendency to turn it into a satin..... looks decent too

#69 ronnie

ronnie

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Labiche

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:20 AM

Hi guys and gails of this great hobby
Im having trouble with appling future to my ford T roadster windowshield and I can't get a new one because revell stop production on the kit,any way ever time I dip it in a container of future I see tiny specs on the glass even after wicking it,could the future be contaminated
and now I see streechs on the glass and what is a good cleaning cloth any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

#70 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

...ever time I dip it in a container of future I see tiny specs on the glass even after wicking it,could the future be contaminated
...and now I see streechs on the glass and what is a good cleaning cloth

Yes, the glass is contaminated or the Future may be bad. My Future bottle is 10 years old and it's still fine. Don't use any chemicals on the glass. Sand with sanding cloths, 6000 to 12,000 grit. Clean your fingers with isopropyl. Then rinse glass in water without touching. Blow dry and dip in Future as above.
You can also easily make a 'T' windshield out of acetate from a package because it's dead flat.

#71 ronnie

ronnie

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Labiche

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

Yes, the glass is contaminated or the Future may be bad. My Future bottle is 10 years old and it's still fine. Don't use any chemicals on the glass. Sand with sanding cloths, 6000 to 12,000 grit. Clean your fingers with isopropyl. Then rinse glass in water without touching. Blow dry and dip in Future as above.
You can also easily make a 'T' windshield out of acetate from a package because it's dead flat.

that is good to hear about the remidy that is and I was also thinking about using acetate thank you for the information

#72 RobH

RobH

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Full Name:Robert hathaway

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

i would buy a roll of real window tint and try that! autozone ,walmart normally have it pretty cheap!

its like a sticker!

#73 LOBBS

LOBBS

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle "LOBBS" Laubscher

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

Was at the store after work and needed to pick up a new bottle of Future. Saw that it's now Pledge(?) with Future shine. To further complicate things there was a wood floor and also a tile and vinyl formula. What's the right stuff for clearcoating called nowadays?

#74 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:09 PM

Kyle, I do believe the one you want is the Pledge with Future Shine. As for which one, don't hold me to it, but I would guess the vinyl one would be the right one, since I believe the old Future before the name change was for vinyl floors.

#75 LOBBS

LOBBS

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

Thanks Matthew, that was the one I was leaning towards but didn't buy until I checked it out first.

#76 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

Thanks Matthew, that was the one I was leaning towards but didn't buy until I checked it out first.

Kyle, that's just my best guess, I've never actually used Future for clearcoating!! I'm just going on what I've read about it here, so you might want to wait until someone who actually uses it conforms it to make sure I'm correct. B)

#77 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:29 AM

To the best of my knowledge, it's Pledge with Future shine, and would be the vinyl one. I dont know about the other ones. In fact, I cant find it at Cub anymore. I'm gonna have to check out Wally world, Menards, or Home depot and hope they have it, I use it almost exclusevly now, and now I cant find it! B)

#78 Drake69

Drake69

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Full Name:Allen Manley

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:02 AM

To the best of my knowledge, it's Pledge with Future shine, and would be the vinyl one. I dont know about the other ones. In fact, I cant find it at Cub anymore. I'm gonna have to check out Wally world, Menards, or Home depot and hope they have it, I use it almost exclusevly now, and now I cant find it! :D

This is correct. I use it for just about every model kit I build, and it's worth it.

Posted Image

#79 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:10 AM

Was at the store after work and needed to pick up a new bottle of Future. Saw that it's now Pledge(?) with Future shine. To further complicate things there was a wood floor and also a tile and vinyl formula. What's the right stuff for clearcoating called nowadays?

Pledge Wood Floor and Pledge Tile and Vinyl are cleaners.

Pledge with Future Shine is what you want.

http://www.floorcare...inish/index.asp

#80 LOBBS

LOBBS

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

Thanks all, back to the store for me today.