Edurance Racing Group Build (Official Thread)

• You cannot reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic

#21 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Scadden

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the intro Misha, look forward to seeing this progress :)

#22 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Full Name:James Tarver

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Too late to join this? I just randomly started a Tamiya R89C kit that had been previously started by someone else. I spent yesterday removing paint so I can start fresh.

20140714_135842-XL.jpg

Edited by Project510, 14 July 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#23 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

You're more than welcome to join in James, this build is pretty much open-ended.

The photoetch parts have arrived for my Audi, so I hope to start soon.

#24 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Thanks Paul should be fun. Already seeing some great detail. Look forward to seeing even more.

#25 Misha

Misha

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Full Name:Misha Koslovsky

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:32 AM

Porsche 907 LH / Fitting the pieces together...

With summer at its height it's hard to get to the workbench. Been busy with fitting the parts, constructing sub assemblies, and detailing major body parts. The simple approach by Heller to the interior spaces has required the addition of bulkheads between the leading edge of the doors to the front wheel well. This area is very visible thru the huge expanse of glass and provides mounting surfaces for electrics, hose connections, fluid bag and fire extinguisher. I scratch built the bulkheads into the upper portion of the front body shell. Also hollowed out the small instrument dash to accept a panel with tach and engine vitals. The moulded in front grill was removed to be replaced with a PE piece. Pedal detail has been enhanced with PE as well. Still need to construct the shifter assembly to fit between the driver seat and right side bulkhead. The left gas cap was removed and the resulting hole in the rear body piece was filled.

The front suspension was dry fit, it's toy like workings being very apparent. The addition of brake callipers and brake lines will help as will detailed painting. The wheels require air valves and come unplated saving a step. Looking ahead at the engine assembly, Heller has provided a delicate injector assembly with stacks, a rack and injector pump with pulleys, top, two part cooling fan and two angled distributor bodies. Keeping the stacks on the sprue as they require small holes to be drilled into each one, at the same angle, to accommodate the fuel lines from the pump.

Going to begin prepping for the primer coats to go on. Then sorting the parts for Alclad finishing. Still have a few fit issues to solve, main one is the huge gap between the firewall and front body when it's fitted to the belly pan.

Progress is a bit slow now, yet the forecast is for clouds and rain, so that means more workbench time!
Cheers Misha

Attached Files

#26 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Nice work Misha

#27 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

Been so busy with work I have not done much. I am finding harder than expected to find detailed interior shots of the car, and they also never match so I am just going with what I think looks cool haha

20140830_223745-X2.jpg

20140830_223807-X2.jpg

#28 Misha

Misha

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

It's been a busy summer, yet with September in swing it's time to get back to the workbench! Spent the long weekend getting the body ready for primer. The first task was enclosing the rear wheel wells by filling in the top of the arch. Another item was to construct the small wells for the rear body latches. Using the razor saw I made cuts in the body sides followed by installing small pieces of plastic channel to provide the well depth. A major problem was the gap between the front body shell and rear firewall. The solution was to place a thin piece of styrene halfway up the firewall and using a file card template to cut the curve and window opening. To complete the basic interior structure, I detailed the small instrument housing, the switch panel to the left, and positioning the steering wheel column. To complete the body shell the wonky hinge arrangement, completely wrong and out of scale, was eliminated by cutting and filling. Other body imperfections were also filled and sanded in perpetration for the primer.

Did a mockup of the pancake engine with the existing kit parts which illustrated the lack of detail when compared to photos of the actual engine. The instructions provide for a 907 or a 908, neither of which was accurate. Using a combination of parts I fitted the injection pump and scratchbuilt the pulley attachments. The two part fan and housing lacked a proper base that was solved with a shaped piece of plastic. The fan was detailed with Grandt bolts and nuts. This assembly will be finished in raw fiberglass. The dual distributors are very basic, lacking the engine housing running in between them; this was easily replicated with bits of plastic.

Finally, after a quick wash and scrub, the parts were ready for primer!

So here are the top body parts in primer!!! Still have a couple of sink holes in the nose section, having filled it with Tamiya putty. Otherwise it has turned out well, and leaving the coat to cure for a couple of days will allow me to begin masking in preparation for applying the white top coat. It's fortunate that most of the inside of the Porsche were sprayed a grey primer over top of the raw brown fiberglass, as the colour matches my primer. There are a few smaller parts that will be in that fiberglass colour.
Thanx for looking,
Cheers Misha

Sorry got the snapshots out of order...

Attached File  image.jpg   146.51KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   117.6KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   116.42KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   47.89KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   80.05KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

#29 Misha

Misha

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

Creative gizmology and scratch building!

Sun is shining so workbench doesn't get as much attention. Been carving and cutting plastic to have the Porsche 907 resemble more closely the prototype. After priming the body tub and good portion of the engine I've added detail to the crankcase shroud horizontal joint, and have begun the fuel pump and pickup arrangement on the starboard side and the fuel filler pipe opposite (need to pick up some heavier gauge solder). Inside I've added the drivers heat shield on the floor and up the side (these cockpits were notoriously hot, with the first "cool suits" being used here first!), a more accurate shifter arrangement with linkage running to the back, and a floor supporting brace. Later will come the fire extinguisher, windshield fluid bag, fuse panel, plumbing and driver's harness.
Cheers Misha

Attached Files

#30 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

^^ Looking good Misha.

Work is very busy so I have been real tired. Getting an hour here, 30 mins there..

Also, I have come to realize I have super shaky hands. I can not keep still for nothing. Lots of little goof ups in the painting tiny details. Its ok I can fix it all. Also, tried dry brushing the Nissan lettering on valve covers but didnt do to well. will fix this also.

20140904_210544_LLS-X2.jpg