Well as I said on my '61 Impala thread I wanted to build a fast and simple & easy (?) build that I could relax with a little. The other projects I have going right now (Like the Don Nicholson Impala or Grumpy Jenkins' Nova) require a lot of modifying and scratchbuilding, which means they will take a lot of time and work to complete. The idea with this is to get it done pretty fast without huge modifications.
There is also a little Challenge for myself: I must post at least one update in one week until this build is completed. I hope this, along with your comments will keep me going with this one without any delays.
As I was choosing a subject for my Summer Project I came across the Monogram (Or nowadays Revell) '55 Chevrolet Bel Air StreetMachine kit that I got in a trade last year. It's a pretty simple kit with not too many parts, but still it's possible to turn out into a very nice model. My plan is to keep it pretty simple, but to do a couple of little modifications to make it a bit better. I'm going to build something that could Race nowadays in Nostalgia Events with Chevy Big Block and a Straight Axle. I will swap the kit's tires and maybe wheels too. I will use 9" Slicks on the rear and white walls in the front.
When I opened the box I saw immediately that the kit will need some work, but not anything impossible. I've built one of these before and there are no big fit issues, only problems are with the mold lines and that kind of stuff. The body alone has pretty much mold lines and other stuff to clean up. That will be no problem, but as seen on the third picture, part of the door line is missing. That is a problem as I've never re-scribed them...What should I use and how should I do it to get it right?
Sanding is required between the door handle and side trim, too...
...Then there are regular mold lines to be cleaned.
This is the basis of the engine. A Glue Bomb BBC from some Monogram kit. It had a single 4bbl carburetor with original steel intake manifold, so I decided to replace that with a Blower from another version of the same Monogram engine. Now the engine is in paint stripping,
The chassis is nice otherwise, but it has molded in exhaust pipes. A Drag Car should not have them so I decided to get rid of them. First, I cut the mufflers away with a saw and then using knives and other tools which names I don't know in English, I removed the actual pipes. Here in the pictures I have rough sanded the areas with 400 grit sandpaper. I also filled other muffler hole with styrene, other one still to go. Then I can start the putty work...
Comments and Ideas are welcomed!
Here We Go!