#41 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,801 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:00 AM

Harry, that Chicago deep dish pizza does look pretty darn good. 

Here ya go, Rich...

http://giordanos.com/shop/

#42 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:42 AM

Chili with no beans? That's like mac and cheese with no cheese!  :lol:

Or worse yet a hot dog with no ketchup !  : )

#43 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Chili with no beans? That's like mac and cheese with no cheese!  :lol:

It's a "personal taste" thing......  I like an all meat chili.

#44 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Or worse yet a hot dog with no ketchup !  : )

How's this sound to ya Ray... as a Ketchup lover...?   

My grandson likes chicken with ketchup on it   :unsure: , but he's only 3 and will hopefully grow out of that.

One of my daughter's girl friends will only eat spaghetti with ketchup on it...  She is 32 and she doesn't like tomato sauce...... now that is just downright disgusting..!!!

#45 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Oh no Rich. I likes my ketchup but not on that stuff !  My sister, when she was much younger put ketchup on .................... ready for this ? ...................... mashed potato's !  Talk about a disgusting mess. I couldn't even look at it.

#46 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

We once had a fancy family affair with the best prime rib!  Some old Irish relatives needed theirs well done and then covered it with Ketchup!  Yuk!

Edited by Tom Geiger, 07 June 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#47 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Is that a Giordano's ad?

You just had to mention Giordano's. Ate there once a few years ago, 2009 IRRC. I know we went there after we left the Chicago Auto Show. Quite possibly the best pizza I ever had.

As far as chili goes, if I'm putting it on a dog or fries, no beans. If I'm eating straight, then I like beans in it.

#48 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

We once had a fancy family affair with the best prime rib!  Some old Irish relatives needed theirs well done and then covered it with Ketchup!  Yuk!

Tom,  you got that YUK part right.  Absolutely NO KETCHUP goes on a good, rare to medium rare steak, prime rib, or filet mignon.   Burgers fries and meatloaf OK.  Filet Mignon with a little salt & pepper and some Bearnaise Sauce... Heaven..!!

#49 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

I'm spending the weekend at Fell's Point, a waterfront tourist area in Baltimore.  I was at Max's Taphouse http://www.maxs.com/ that has 140 rotating drafts, 5 hand pumped cask ales and over 1200 bottles. 

And for lunch I had:

MAX’S TATER BOWL

Crunchy Tater Tots smothered in our own pulled pork BBQ Topped with melted cheddar jack cheese, a heathy dose of sour cream and bacon...Just what the doctor ordered...Or maybe not

Amazing! 

#50 uncle potts

uncle potts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Full Name:paul cowell

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

"Hawaiian pizza" is not pizza.

You may like it, but please don't call it "pizza." Once there is fruit on a pizza (and yes I know that a tomato is technically a fruit... :rolleyes: ), it ceases to be a pizza. It might taste good, but it aint no pizza!  ^_^

Acceptable pizza toppings (besides cheese and sauce, which are a given):

Pepperoni

Italian sausage

Mushrooms

Peppers

Onions

Tomato slices

Heck, even anchovies...  :lol:

Unacceptable pizza toppings: Anything else!  :P  

So I take it you're not a  fan of taco pizza?

#51 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,801 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

So I take it you're not a  fan of taco pizza?

A taco is a taco.

A pizza is a pizza.

A "taco pizza" is neither one. It's a train wreck.  ^_^

#52 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

A taco is a taco.

A pizza is a pizza.

A "taco pizza" is neither one. It's a train wreck.  ^_^

There was a little pizza shop in the north-central-west corner of the state (now gone, unfortunately,) that had a taco pizza that sounded awful, but it was absolutely delectable.

Don't knock it 'till you try it.

Charlie Larkin

#53 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

Neon relish is just regular relish (what you call piccalilli), but they put green food coloring in it. I have no idea why, but is is bright green!

Actually, piccalilli, while a relish, is actually green tomatoes and a little bit of pimento, relish is relish- diced pickles, peppers, etc. Slightly different.

If you have the opportunity, look up Howard's Foods in Danvers, Mass., I believe they'll ship anywhere.

Deep dish pizza- when I was in Chicago in 2000, my friend who was living there and I went to Lou Maniatti's (sp.?) and I'll say this....it beat the pants off of Uno. Don't get me wrong, Uno's is good, but that was phenomenal.

Harry- do I even want to know what you think of Greek pizza??? (The way my shop here makes it- and the way I like it, white sauce, ground lamb formed into strips and sliced thin, feta, lettuce and diced tomatoes.

Charlie Larkin

#54 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

Sacrilige! One of my friends used to put ketchup on her steaks. I broke her of that (and a lot of other) culinary bad practices. Still need to get her to stop adding salt to everything- woman will put half a shaker on her already salted french fries.

Prime rib for me- rare, horseradish, maybe a little pepper or a very small amount of A-1. Serve with green beans, carrots, and a baked potato.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575, 08 June 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#55 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,801 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

Deep dish pizza- when I was in Chicago in 2000, my friend who was living there and I went to Lou Maniatti's (sp.?) and I'll say this....it beat the pants off of Uno. Don't get me wrong, Uno's is good, but that was phenomenal.

Lou Malnati's.

Harry- do I even want to know what you think of Greek pizza??? (The way my shop here makes it- and the way I like it, white sauce, ground lamb formed into strips and sliced thin, feta, lettuce and diced tomatoes.

That may be tasty, but it's just not "pizza." I don't know where this trend of calling all sorts of things that aren't pizza "pizza" came from, but it makes no sense to me. So we take a pizza crust, top it with corned beef slices and cabbage, and we have an "Irish pizza?" Top it with sauerkraut and dumplings and we have a "German pizza?" Top it with rice and beans and we have a "Mexican pizza?"

I don't think so...

#56 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

That may be tasty, but it's just not "pizza." I don't know where this trend of calling all sorts of things that aren't pizza "pizza" came from, but it makes no sense to me. So we take a pizza crust, top it with corned beef slices and cabbage, and we have an "Irish pizza?" Top it with sauerkraut and dumplings and we have a "German pizza?" Top it with rice and beans and we have a "Mexican pizza?"

I don't think so...

The Irish and Mexican pizzas- not so appetizing.

The German pizza: add some sausage, perhaps replace the tomato sauce with brown gravy to go with the spaetzle, and you might be on to something.

Charlie Larkin

#57 webestang

webestang

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Garascia

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Here in St. Louis the best hot dogs are at Woofie's............ http://oneguysstl.bl...03/woofies.html

#58 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,801 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

The German pizza: add some sausage, perhaps replace the tomato sauce with brown gravy to go with the spaetzle, and you might be on to something.

Maybe. But it wouldn't be pizza.  ;) 

#59 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Here, slightly west of Philly, we have "ovals".  These look like pizza, but I'm told it's more of a stromboli / calzone that they didn't bother to fold over and left open face. It's oval in shape like a football, but still cut into slices. It's a personal pizza size  and you can order a mess of usual and odd things on it. You have to specify if you want pizza sauce or cheese on it.  I guess technically they haven't broken any pizza laws. My wife usually orders the cheese steak oval, with sauce on the side.  Pretty good... being my wife she only eats about half of it, so I eat the other half after my meal.  Kinda why I married her!

#60 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

It's NOT pizza Tom. anyway you look at it or order it.