Model Cars Magazine Forum

43 Willys Gasser Pickup

This build is a combination of the Revell/Model King 43 Willys Gasser Pickup and the Revell 41 Willys Stone, Woods & Cook Gasser. Since the chassis, engine, drivetrain and just about everything in the 41 kit is so much nicer, I'm using all of it for my pickup.

Here are a couple pics of the engine and chassis detail:

43WillysPickup02-vi.jpg

43WillysPickup03-vi.jpg

43WillysPickup07-vi.jpg

I was going to use one of the Aluminum moon tanks, but after seeing how little of it shows once the body is on the chassis, i decided to just strip the chrome off of the kit tank and paint it with Rub & Buff Aluminum. I'll save the Aluminum tank for a model where it can be seen better...

43WillysPickup09-vi.jpg

I need to repaint the scoop. Too much handling while I was adding some of the details rubbed just a bit too much of the Rub & Buff Aluminum off of it... I still need to add the throttle linkage to the rear of the Hilborn 4 port injector base.

43WillysPickup10-vi.jpg

43WillysPickup12-vi.jpg

The engine and chassis in the 41 Revell Willys drag kits is so nice that I bought several "spares" for other projects!!

43WillysPickup14-vi.jpg

Here's a pic of the body and hood after a base coat of paint. I reshaped the hood opening to match the shape of the scoop from the Stone, Woods & Cook Willys, and I opened the headlamp openings to fit 41 Willys headlamp assemblies.

43WillysPickup17-vi.jpg

I'm thinking of painting the top portion of the truck bright yellow, just above the beltline molding. If I do, I'll also paint the bed cover the same color. Suggestions?

RJP

Edited by Raul_Perez

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pics of the body parts with the base coat of clear. Once it dries I'll get the decals on it, give it a final coat of clear and finish putting it together. I'm hoping to have this one ready for the NNL West on March 1st. The theme this year is Modern Muscle and Gassers!

Instead of yellow on the top like I'd planned, I went with AMC Big Bad Blue and a yellow strip to separate the colors.

DSC03895-vi.jpg

DSC03896-vi.jpg

DSC03898-vi.jpg

Yep, I really like using the Testors rattle can lacquer paints!!

Edited by Raul_Perez

Nice! Excellent choice and I'm happy you reduced the yellow content. Yellow and blue go together, but one must use restraint. My brother keeps using yellow accents in inappropriate places on the small fleet of 1:1's in our care. I just wanna smack him! :lol: He definitely got mom's taste.... bad! :)

Nice! Excellent choice and I'm happy you reduced the yellow content. Yellow and blue go together, but one must use restraint. My brother keeps using yellow accents in inappropriate places on the small fleet of 1:1's in our care. I just wanna smack him! :P He definitely got mom's taste.... bad! ;)

Thanks, Jonathan!! And, the decal set that I've picked out for it has very little yellow in it, too!! Mostly various shades of blue, silver letters with dark-blue outlines for the name "HEMI-FIED", with some purple and yellow sponsor stuff thrown in for accents. Here's a quick pic of the body parts temporarily taped together and sitting on the chassis with the decal set that I'll be using.

DSC03915-vi.jpg

Any chance that you or any of the other guys on the other coast are going to make it to the NNL West?! We had nearly 1,000 models on display last year!! This year should be just as big!!

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...