Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, so much for THAT job

I got a call yesterday (Monday) morning from the temp place I had my job thru saying that the company I was at had a numbers reduction and I was a victim. :(

It was a lousy job with a very lousy company, but still it helped pay the bills. I was actively looking to leave it, but it would have been nice to have another job ready to go first.

Good news is that I am renting a house from my brother and he said not to worry about paying rent until I get another job. He has lots of contacts and is checking to see if any of them can help with that.

So between my wife's disability payment and my mother in law's help we can still afford to eat and pay the other bills. But this sucks. I haven't had much luck with getting interviews in my field of work since we moved back here to Phoenix.

And to top it all off, I still can't get to my workbench to build models. It has my wife's craft stuff stacked on it, she has run out of room to unpack any more boxes. Going to try to work on that this week, but there are also some house related things I need to do that are more important. :unsure:

Russ

in the olden days (five or ten years ago) companies would bring you on as a temp to see if you were worth keeping and would then convert you to permanent worker. Now companies seem to use contract labor (IT'S STILL A FREAKING TEMP!!!!) so they can drop you any time some stock analyst's sphincter starts to pucker...all in the name of quarterly profits.

good luck in your job search.

I'm currently working a job that barely relates to my field of experience/expertise but at least the pay is not an insult.

Thanks, all.

Yeah, family is the reason we moved back here to Phoenix. I just wasn't expecting something like this. :huh: Fortunately my brother is financially able to do this. I know if he wasn't he would still try, but at least his family isn't starving because we can't pay the rent. :)

One nice thing about this is that my best friend's mom is not doing well and is in a rehab place. She has always been like a second mom to me, and at least for now I can go visit her every day. It's sad, sometimes I am her only visitor. My best friend isn't handling this well at all.

Edited by russosborne

Hang in there Russ, when I was 20 and I was always eager to work lost a job I was very good at. I ended up for 3 years helping manage a convenience store and car wash. I went to school for a mechanic and never worked at it again..

maybe ______________ (fill in mystical power of your choice) is presenting you with this time to do just the things which you are. like visiting your friend's mom.

we spend time running and then it's gone. enjoy when you are able.

and go build something!

Thanks, all.

Yeah, family is the reason we moved back here to Phoenix. I just wasn't expecting something like this. :huh: Fortunately my brother is financially able to do this. I know if he wasn't he would still try, but at least his family isn't starving because we can't pay the rent. :)

One nice thing about this is that my best friend's mom is not doing well and is in a rehab place. She has always been like a second mom to me, and at least for now I can go visit her every day. It's sad, sometimes I am her only visitor. My best friend isn't handling this well at all.

My Mom was in a place like that for a couple weeks last month and Dad was there every day, nearly all day with her. My Kid Sister and I went out for at least 30min to visit her on nearly every day (work got in the way twice, third time was when Lil' Sis decided to find a Challenger and I met her at the dealer) even though the drive took anywhere from 30min to 60+ minutes depending on where you were going from and the time of day. There were a number of people I never saw visitors for, including Mom's room mate, and one of the few I saw more than once was complaining about the long drive, yet lives closer than we do......how you can complain about something like that when your parent is basically in a nursing home, I just don't know.................