#41 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,743 posts
  • Full Name:^^^^

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

^My neighbor has that same way of thinking... but weirdly he doesn't seem to mind the Kawasaki engine in his John Deere, or his Honda Rancher ATV, or the fact the Duramax diesel in his beloved GMC is an Isuzu design. I don't know if he knows his Impala was assembled in Canada...

Personally, I don't care who built it, or where- I'm not going to waste my hard earned money on junk. And I don't believe in the "Just because it's made in America/Japan/Germany/Narnia that alone automaticallly makes it superior to all else" school of thought. It has more to do with the manufacturer's dedication to producing a quality product than the country of origin.

#42 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Brown

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

^My neighbor has that same way of thinking... but weirdly he doesn't seem to mind the Kawasaki engine in his John Deere, or his Honda Rancher ATV, or the fact the Duramax diesel in his beloved GMC is an Isuzu design. I don't know if he knows his Impala was assembled in Canada...

Personally, I don't care who built it, or where- I'm not going to waste my hard earned money on junk. And I don't believe in the "Just because it's made in America/Japan/Germany/Narnia that alone automaticallly makes it superior to all else" school of thought. It has more to do with the manufacturer's dedication to producing a quality product than the country of origin.

exactly my point. but through my eyes since i can fix cars i want to own and maintain a car thats easy to maintain. idc if the parts are expensive because thats what i use anyway. brand new from the dealer. i don't trust auto zone,advance,car quest or whoever else there is to make good parts because I've gotten BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH parts from them all. i love the technology is my supra. to me its still advanced for its age. and it can keep up with a lot of modern cars ;)

#43 DirtModeler

DirtModeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Full Name:Michael S. Crowley

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Agreed. I drive a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek that I hear was built in Tennessee. And I love my subie.
I have a ford truck too, but its just for hauling and dump runs now.

#44 DirtModeler

DirtModeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

You miss my point, govt. involvement means troubles. Look at our wonderful usps, another govt debacle.

I don't really know why anyone would knock the USPS.

I can tell you from a LOT of experience that it is an incredible organization.

I have literally sent thousands of shipments via the USPS over the years, and i think MAYBE one of them was lost.  Maybe one, i question it to this day... and the shipping cost of my box is $3.25.

About a month ago, i had a package that needed to go out, and i happened to be at FedEX mailing some packages for the corporation i work for, and thought "hey, i'll just send it FedEX instead of driving to the Post Office".  The same box that cost me $3.25 to mail First Class USPS, cost me... ~$12!! and it shipped ground.. even SLOWER then the USPS would have taken.

I'll take the USPS any day of the week over FedEX,  unless i need it there tomorrow.

#45 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Steen

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

They may need another loan 😊

#46 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

Agreed. I drive a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek that I hear was built in Tennessee. And I love my subie.
I have a ford truck too, but its just for hauling and dump runs now.

Your Subaru Crosstrek was built right here in my hometown, Lafayette, IN.

Art

#47 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

If it's true that GM sales are up despite this huge, ongoing mess, what does that say about the smarts of the American consumer?  :blink:

I bet if one manufactures cell phones had 14 million recalls and they all had to be sent back to the factory to be reset.....that company would be out of business the next day........but consumers today are not a smart lot.

Dad has a 1012 FLEX....top of the line. Only issue??? A squirrel ate some of his under hood insulation!!!

It's all wheel drive with 22" wheels with twin turbo's.......The first time I drove it I was truly shocked......

It was the best vehicle I had ever driven.

A seven passenger plus luggage hot rod......wow!

#48 DirtModeler

DirtModeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

I bet if one manufactures cell phones had 14 million recalls and they all had to be sent back to the factory to be reset.....that company would be out of business the next day........but consumers today are not a smart lot.

Dad has a 1012 FLEX....top of the line. Only issue??? A squirrel ate some of his under hood insulation!!!
It's all wheel drive with 22" wheels with twin turbo's.......The first time I drove it I was truly shocked......

Those Flex's are super nice. Thought about one for myself.

Your Subaru Crosstrek was built right here in my hometown, Lafayette, IN.

Art

Well I gotta hand it to Indiana Craftsman, they build a great car.

#49 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

At this point, which GM vehicle hasn't been recalled for one problem or another?

My 2011 GMC Terrain is still chugging along recall free.  B)

*knock on wood*  :blink:

#50 MsDano85gt

MsDano85gt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Conway

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

my  saturn  Redline  Ion is  now  ten  years old and   now   recalled!! still  waiting on the  call my  parts  came in!!.....  I already  took in the  wifes  08'  chevy  cobalt to ha ve her   ignition switch  changed they  must be  getting  fast  at  it  i don't think we were  there  an  hour at the  dealership for  her  car....

#51 stang_crazy

stang_crazy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Davis

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

I'm a tech as a profession so I've seen all makes and models and touched a lot of cars. But there's a reason I daily drive a 1990 Toyota supra. I am partial to my imports but I was only driven to that side because of how crappy the "American" cars are built. Half aren't even built in the us. If you want to support American buy a Japanese car. Toyotas, nissans, and Hondas are mostly made here in the us. Excluding a few models from each company (frs, gtr's, nsx etc. because those are flagship models. Doing most maintence items like oil changes now really suck on modern cars. Nothing is easy to fix and there's a computer for everything! 

Just cause some of the imports are made here means nothing. Where do you think a lot of the money goes back to?  Also look into what the foreign company's pay for taxes in the US or should I say what they dont pay. Saying how crappy American cars are built?? Yes there are some crappy ones but all??? Far from it, There are just as many crappy "Import cars" made every year to.

I am also a technician as a profession. Ive worked for private garages & dealerships and I have seen enough stuff that makes me shake my head. For instance a Honda Pilot that had bad universal joints on the driveshaft. Do you think the joints were able to be serviced on it heeeeeell no you had to buy the entire drive shaft.

I am a big ford guy for sure but ill give credit to dodge/Chrysler & to GM they do have some good cars/trucks and some good engines to boot. But when I was working private garages I always told my coworker there that if it wasn't for GM we would be out of a job & he was a GM as that was prolly 65% of what came through the door. ( And he agreed even being a big GM guy. 20% was foreign and the other 15% ford/dodge.

Edited by stang_crazy, 13 June 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#52 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,986 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

1012??

A very early model, I see.

I actually wouldn't mind one of those either, problem is even used they're nearly as expensive as new ones.

Charlie Larkin

#53 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

Here is a story from a few weeks ago, GM has decided to save everybody the trouble of having to check to see if their vehicle has been recalled by recalling every vehicle they ever made.

http://autoblopnik.c...eyve-ever-made/

#54 stang_crazy

stang_crazy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Davis

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

Here is a story from a few weeks ago, GM has decided to save everybody the trouble of having to check to see if their vehicle has been recalled by recalling every vehicle they ever made.

LMAO even as a joke (as that's what its ment to be) is pretty BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH funny.

#55 bad0210

bad0210

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Full Name:brandon dove

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

joe brown. what maintenance problems do you have with the modern cars. I work on all of mine and they are pretty easy. only vehicles I have problems with is the compacts because its hard to get big hands in the tight spaces. I hate changing the back spark plugs on the newer hemi's in the rams.

#56 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Wow, they're finally going to address that trans issue I had in my 1979 El Camino. Whew, I feel better now. 

#57 Ridge Rider

Ridge Rider

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Clancy

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

This is a problem of bankruptcy, or rather  a company that should have gone through it .  Chrysler did this  and produced a lot of junk through the eighties with there fair share of recalls.  Economic turmoil effects the quality of the product and the people producing it.  Without getting into politics, there is no such thing as to big to fail.  Failure is just that, time to restructure or cease to exist,

#58 MsDano85gt

MsDano85gt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Conway

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

joe brown. what maintenance problems do you have with the modern cars. I work on all of mine and they are pretty easy. only vehicles I have problems with is the compacts because its hard to get big hands in the tight spaces. I hate changing the back spark plugs on the newer hemi's in the rams.

I have  no  problems  with  my  saturn  forsay  just  typical stuff that needed  replacement,  I love how I watched A Certified  Dealership scratch their  heads and  3  (what were   supposed to be  mechanics)  scratched their  heads and   stared  under my  hood   lookin like  monkeys  humpin  hyena's

30 minutes  later  only to  come  back and  tell me they  could  not  change  the  oil on my  supercharged  car   because they would have to  remove things and the  supercharger,  I Told  him  and his   service  guys they were a  bunch of   idiots then!

Needless to say  I had to  change  my own  oil  !!  I will from now  on too!! all that  had to be  done  was  remove (2) 10  mm screws that  held a  waterneck,    to move it  out of the  way  to  gain  access to  get under the   eaton  supercharger to  change the  cartridge  oil filter.

Did i  also mention the  people at the   service  counter   kept  stalling  my   standard  shift  saturn the  guy had  to have  me  pull the  car around

know  exactly  what  your  talking  about with  big  hands in  tight  spaces  B)

#59 metalhead

metalhead

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Full Name:Ryan Caudle

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

I had a 96 Chevy Corsica. Just something to go back and forth to school with.  During the year that I had it, the transmission went out, three window switches quit working, and it overheated a lot. I had to keep two gallons of coolent in the backseat just in case. Later that year, I bought a 96 Chevy C1500 as that was my favorite body style. Well, the transmission went out on it as well. A few weeks later, both door handles broke and the passenger window switch quit working. I seem to recall that the 96 models that were coming out that year had the same problems. I can't remember if there was a recall for these particular year models or not. I ended up giving the truck to my brother as an early birthday present as I was fed up with trying to fix the blasted thing almost every week.

#60 metalhead

metalhead

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Full Name:Ryan Caudle

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

I just looked it up. Both models were recalled in 2006, 2007 for fuel-related problems as well as the transmission problems.