#101 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

No matter how you spin the facts, 24 different recalls involving 35 different models and 14 million cars within a six month period is NOT GOOD. In fact, it's unprecedented.

Issues that widespread point to systemic, multilevel incompetence and poor quality control.    Though I do wish the best for GM, I've been happy w/ my Cadillac experiences so far and would buy another.

#102 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Ford's cruise control recall ended up affecting more than 14 million cars. Go to any manufacturer's website and you'll find dozens of active recalls. Right now GM's going through it. A few years ago it was Ford, Toyota, or whoever, they all go through it at some time. Next year it'll be somebody different. Make enough cars, you're bound to have a few lousy ones in there. Learn from it, and make them better in the future. GM certainly doesn't have the market cornered on $&@/+#! cars...  

Edited by Brett Barrow, 15 June 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#103 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

At 165,000 miles, no problems that are not wear related with my 2000 Saturn SL.

#104 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:34 AM

It's not so much that the cars are... problematic; it's how and why they get to be that way.  Then, there is the additional problem of inept management that seems prevalent in our corporate society these days, on all levels.  It'$ all about the $$$- the more $$$ $saved, the more in their pocket$ and more $$$ for the $shareholder$, too.

#105 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

A chevy salesman asked his ford salesman friend 'hows business?" Ford salesman answers "I don't recall"

#106 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,270 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

A chevy salesman asked his ford salesman friend 'hows business?" Ford salesman answers "I don't recall"

:D 

#107 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

At 165,000 miles, no problems that are not wear related with my 2000 Saturn SL.

Saturn's are a real GM anomaly.......some outside the box engineering was done on those cars. The spin on trans filter on many models was a FANTASTIC idea!!! Not a hater but I think Saturn, as it was started, was too good for GM. 

#108 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

http://www.clarksvil...ing-crash-risk/

http://www.thecarcon...ulty-floor-mats

http://www.autoblog....-434k-vehicles/

#109 vairnut

vairnut

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Shreve

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

The large amount of recalls have really nothing to do with any quality issues or problems with the product. It is a direct result of the ignition switch controversy.  All of these recalls are completely internal, none are Govt. driven safety related. Every minute issue is being reviewed and corrected as a public perception initiative. Some of these that have involved hundreds of thousands of vehicles - are for issues found on 2 vehicles. None of these recalls involve large numbers of problem vehicles or components found. If ANY other manufacturer applied this same scrutiny to their vehicles there would be millions of recalls weekly.

Even the ignition switch issue was not a mandated recall. Things tend to get quite skewed when lawyers get involved.  Don't expect air bags to save you if you refuse to put on a seatbelt.

#110 dieseldawg142

dieseldawg142

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Full Name:dan smith

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

thats right, they dont, they let the customer suck it up. ford is infamous for issuing TSB's. check out the laundry list for just super duty's.

http://www.ford-truc.../tsbs/fulltext/

4x4 diesel super duty's & death wobble, look it up. my dad has had 5 sd's from 03-011 100% stock with nasty DW. ford-every lame excuse in the book right down to "bad air" (??!!) in the tires. i have a 8" lift with 39's on my truck with no DW at all. telling me a huge corporation cant figure it out?

beefier, better aftermarket trac-bar solved it, something ford should have done 10 yrs ago when it surfaced, should have been a recall as a major safety issue, but wasn't. gm doesn't have a monopoly on shoddy products or the way it operates

#111 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

"Bad air in the tires" :lol:  :lol: I haven't heard that one before! does that file along with having "low flicker fluid" for the turn signals? :D

The Dodge/Ram trucks and the Jeep Wranglers are known for death wobble, too. They have a similar front end to the Ford SD.

#112 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Another day, another massive recall announced today...

General Motors said it will recall 3.16 million mid-size and large cars to modify their ignition keys to prevent the same problem that has been blamed for 13 deaths and 54 crashes in small cars that GM recalled earlier this year. Along with five other smaller recalls for other matters that GM announced simultaneously today, GM now has announced 44 recalls this year covering 17 million U.S. vehicles.

Wow.

#113 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

A detailed timeline of the whole GM mess here if you're interested:

http://money.cnn.com...ecall-timeline/

Maybe the most embarrassing part:

June 5: GM’s internal probe into the delayed ignition switch recall finds "a pattern of incompetence and neglect" throughout the company. (GM CEO Mary) Barra says she has dismissed 15 employees and disciplined 5 more for their handling of the matter.

The automaker also says the number of deaths tied to its flawed ignition switch may be more than the total of 13 it has disclosed publicly.

#114 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,078 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Another day, another massive recall announced today...

General Motors said it will recall 3.16 million mid-size and large cars to modify their ignition keys to prevent the same problem that has been blamed for 13 deaths and 54 crashes in small cars that GM recalled earlier this year. Along with five other smaller recalls for other matters that GM announced simultaneously today, GM now has announced 44 recalls this year covering 17 million U.S. vehicles.

Wow.

It seem at this point , GM is going to recall every vehicle they made in last decade

#115 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

My sister's '00 DTS is in today's recall.. I don't think my '11 STS will be recalled for this issue, since it has push button start.

Edited by Rob Hall, 16 June 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#116 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

I don't think my '11 STS will recalled for this issue, since it has push button start.

Give it a day or two... they'll find something wrong!  :lol:

#117 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

It seem at this point , GM is going to recall every vehicle they made in last decade

If I worked as a GM PR/advertising guy, I'd be looking for a bridge to jump off of right about now...  :lol:

#118 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

If I worked as a GM PR/advertising guy, I'd be looking for a bridge to jump off of right about now...  :lol:

I'm glad they didn't take the approach of not recalling anything from before the bankruptcy--by saying that those vehicles are the responsibility of the old GM (the one that went bankrupt--General Motors Corporation), since technically, post-bankruptcy GM is a different corporate entity---General Motors Company.  Imagine the outrage and bad publicity if they had gone down that path.

Edited by Rob Hall, 16 June 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#119 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

I'm glad they didn't take the approach of not recalling anything from before the bankruptcy--by saying that those vehicles are the responsibility of the old GM (the one that went bankrupt--General Motors Corporation), since technically, post-bankruptcy GM is a different corporate entity---General Motors Company.  Imagine the outrage and bad publicity if they had gone down that path.

I don't think it's possible for GM to look any worse than they do right now. I mean, today alone, SIX separate recalls. Today alone!

That's several years worth of bad publicity... in one day! On top of all the other recalls already! And all the ones to come.

I wish I had the Maalox concession at GM HQ!  :lol:

#120 tbill

tbill

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Full Name:tom billings

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

in the 25 years I have been a wrench in GM dealerships, I don't know as if I have ever seen a car NOT have a recall of some sort.

biggest problem as of late is getting enough parts to fix the affected vehicles.