27 replies to this topic

#21 iBorg

iBorg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

I think the original issue had spy parts. My Dad and I built it. While I've got a couple of other models we built that one seems to have vanished. I'd love to get the spy parts and recreate my memory.

#22 rasafyff

rasafyff

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Full Name:Raymond Glen Campbell

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

I think the MPC 66 Bonneville had the spy parts.

There's one on eBay for sale.

#23 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,569 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

I know of a few people who have taken the body/interior and trim from the MPC kit and stuck it on the chassis and running gear of the Revell kit. Looks pretty good.

Three words of caution:

1. It's my understanding that most of the recent reissues of the '67 actually has the 1970 seats in it, which are quite different. Several resin-casting operations, including The Modelhaus have the correct seats at reasonable prices- about $3.

2. The '66 Rally I wheels are wrong for a '67. You could use the Hurst mags in the '66, though, or possibly adapt the MPC wheels.

3. The Tri-Power was last used in '66. While I wouldn't be shocked if a few '67s had that installed at the dealer, you might want to adapt the single 4-BBL '67 intake/carb/air-cleaner onto the otherwise very nice Revell engine.

But yes, the MPC kit can be built with patience and care. Think of it this way- your skills aren't there- YET. As I always used to tell my students when I taught, just because you can't do something now doesn't mean you can't learn to to do it now. This hobby is about the learning experience as much as it is anything else. That said, if you want to tackle another kit of two until you're more comfortable with this, go for it.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie was there much modifying to the 66 chassis to get it under the 67 AMT body.?? That sounds great and I have never seen or thought of this..

#24 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

On the Drastic Plastic Fotki instruction site you see instructions and box for many old kits. Including MPC's 60's Pontiac kits. I see no spy stuff with MPC's GTO kits. The MPC '66 Bonneville kit had extra spy equipment.

Scott

#25 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

If you look at the chrome and other parts sprue, you will notice all the reissued 67 70 and 72 GTOs used common parts. It appears, from some of the parts I bought have mixed or last version parts.

#26 Dale W. Verts

Dale W. Verts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Full Name:D.W. Verts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

I'm about 90% done with this kit (molded in white). Although I haven't been back to modeling long this is the worst kit I've done out of the ten or so I've started. The flash and junk I can work around, but this kit lacks a lot of detail too. Anyway, my .02 worth. I wouldn't build another.

Dale

#27 Terminator-Fox

Terminator-Fox

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Smiley

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

I do have a Revell 66 GTO kit. Some day I may kit bash and build my dads car.

#28 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,555 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Charlie was there much modifying to the 66 chassis to get it under the 67 AMT body.?? That sounds great and I have never seen or thought of this..

From what I remember seeing, it was a matter of fitting and trial-and-error.

Alternately, you might want to consider the AMT 1966 Olds 4-4-2s, as well or one of the Lindberg 1966-67 A-bodes (4-4-2 or Chevelle.) Just remember to install the Pontiac engine/transmission and make sure the rear axles are the same, as each division also had its own rear axles, although sometimes, the carriers (differential) were shared on similar cars.

Charlie Larkin