Porsche 917 LH
Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:00 AM
Note the bonnet is a separate piece.
The engine is very well rendered especially for its diminutive size. Heres five pieces to make up the block, cylinders and transaxle, also all white metal.
Here is a bit more added including a translucent cast resin piece for the shroud.
Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:25 AM
That's going to be nice. I'm surprised with your talent you didn't build it from scratch. : )
Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:38 AM
Hi Mark, im guessing the engine parts you posted are 1/43rd,(im not that good @ guessing scale sizes,even with the measure stick ya got there?) looks pretty fun!. Shaun.s
Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:07 AM
The internal frame sections are 3D grown, not molded or cast; first time I’ve built a production kit that has that material from the factory. The thicker areas have to be cut away, but they were packed very safely and the material is very similar to resin, about the same effort to work with it.
Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:37 PM
Also, why a metal body? Did they do it for fun or just to shoot the production costs to the roof? Any clear reasons that I'm missing?
Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:11 AM
Yes, it is 1/43rd.
The internal frame sections are 3D grown, not molded or cast; first time I’ve built a production kit that has that material from the factory.
Very interesting. I'm told 3D printed parts tend to have a texture. Any issue with that?
Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:29 AM
Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:38 AM
Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:14 AM
I will be curious to see what you think of this kit as it goes through final assembly. MFH kits have a rep for assembly issues. Do you know what the price was for the 1/43rd? I know the 1/24 of this car is about $350.00.
I do have to say that I am very impressed with how those frame sections look. How thin are the frame tubes? How sturdy?
Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:42 AM
The frame tubes are very thin, but not too brittle. When I was removing the support "sprues" a couple tubes broke, but I just glued them together before proceeding to remove the excess areas.
Since I have been test fitting as I build, I have not had any fit issues that were surprises or not correctable. But I did have to do some moderate adjusting to get a few of the parts to fit correctly.
Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:53 AM
Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:09 AM
After I did most of the body work and fitting of the top body sections I taped the body and chassis together making sure the resin pan was aligned properly to the rear body. Again I hit it with the hair dryer to soften the pan, and then I let it cool before removing the tape.
Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:47 AM
Here it is after the silver base coat is applied.
Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:28 AM