#1 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Does anyone have a Revell/Monogram '59 Chevy convertible raised top they could measure? Thinking of using one for an AMT '59 Pontiac convertible but I'd need to know the width across the header and at the bottom of the C-pillars, and the overall length. Thanks!

#2 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

http://www.gmheritag...9-Chevrolet.pdf

Check on page 86 for the dimensions.

#3 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Does anyone have a Revell/Monogram '59 Chevy convertible raised top they could measure? Thinking of using one for an AMT '59 Pontiac convertible but I'd need to know the width across the header and at the bottom of the C-pillars, and the overall length. Thanks!

In real life, every GM division used the same body shell, including convertibles--so the raised top from a Revell/Monogram Chevy convertible should fit the old AMT '59 Bonneville convertible IF both cars are scaled correctly!

Art

#4 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

In real life, every GM division used the same body shell, including convertibles--so the raised top from a Revell/Monogram Chevy convertible should fit the old AMT '59 Bonneville convertible IF both cars are scaled correctly!

Art

That's the big "if"! And IF the dimensions are off and I have to modify it, it'll be nearly impossible to match the grain. Anybody have those measurements?

#5 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:43 AM

Hey Chris, I have that top and here's what I'm getting............

Overall length = 3 and 1/4"

Width from side to side = About 2 and 3/16"

Length at the base of the sail panels = About 1 and 7/32"

Now mind you as Art said, that's provided that both kits are scaled the same, AND that IMO the contours are the right shape between both of them. I have a '59 Pontiac built-up, and it looks as though the header contours are not quite the same as the convertible top you want to use. I always thought that the windshield header/frame in the Revell '59 Impala convertible was a little "flat" (like the hardtop), which is the reason I swapped roofs on the '59 kit I was building using the more correct '60 instead.

I'd take pics of them, but I'm about to leave the house for the day and won't be back until late this evening. I did a quick check of the measurements as I see you'd like to know what they were.

As far as keeping the top "pattern"-------you can always take a sanding block with 220 grit sandpaper, and do a criss-cross sanding of the area to get the cross weave pattern that you want. I did this years ago on an up-top and it turned out pretty well.

Hope this helps you out!

#6 Toner283

Toner283

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Tone

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

You could always use the windshield and windshield frame out of the Impala kit as well. Then you might only have to slightly modify the quarters on the Pontiac to have the top mate properly.

You could try placing a post in the wanted section, that kit is the donor required for either a modelhaus 59 Brookwood wagon or Sedan Delivery resin conversion and I know there were a couple of guys on the forum that were doing the conversion. One of the resin kits requires the Revell 59 Impala convertible and the other requires the AMT 59 El Camino, I just cannot remember which is which. I have the conversion and it does not require the body, the top, the interior or the windshield and frame from the convertible kit. I have already traded mine to someone on here that needed them or I would send them to you.

#7 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Belated thanks to all for the info!