#1 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Full Name:Jake Bridges

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

Well This will start in a week or so when i get back from vacation. I want to convert all to 4x4 but may need pointers, all will be orange(like a team) but im missing 1. the chevy luv... the kits all seem way to steep...  But here are the kits, also smoothside beds would be nice too, may have to hunt em down. All 1/25 scale hoping all will have thier stock 4cyl engines. The dodge and ford will sport mazda and mitsubishi logos on their windshields even though they are the american versions. 

Datsun 620 (needs original 4 cyl not chevy v8 and smoothside bed)

_57_zpsec90d813.jpg

Toyota Hilux

_573_zpsf94945aa.jpg

Ford Courier(want smoothside bed)

_571_zps6ea8d353.jpg

Dodge D50

_572_zps502fa782.jpg

#2 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Something change? I always though you were more of a full size truck guy. Anyway these trucks can be a lot of fun and have a ton of possibilities. Someday I need to get around to making a trugie and a pre-runner.

#3 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Something change? I always though you were more of a full size truck guy. Anyway these trucks can be a lot of fun and have a ton of possibilities. Someday I need to get around to making a trugie and a pre-runner.

i am and still prefer the american trucks, if i stay owning a truck itll always be a ford f150 best 2 vehicles ive had wait the only 2... My full size truck kits will taunt these little guys(well if it were the world of toy story). Don't forget i only drive 4x4. These were just to change up the muscle cars and big us trucks, these are all of foreign design.

Edited by Platerpants, 20 June 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#4 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

2010-08-06085014.jpg

#5 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,336 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

Jake, I don't know how plentiful the parts will be for the Datsun. I checked out some of them and the guy who buys vintage kits and parts them out had most everything I was researching...

#6 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

any input on where i might come up with 4x4 parts for these trucks?

#7 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Try Steve over at Calnaga castings. In the case of my datsun in the pic, the transfer case and front axle came from a 76 cj5 jeep. Front axle is a dana 30 on custom made leaf springs. I can show pics of how they did it if you need for reference. Mind you this is an original conversion on a pick up thats been in the family since new so i know all the history behind its conversion. Diversified did my truck, HiLo was another company back then also. HiLo (Spenser Low) sold kits and many small garages were converting trucks to 4x4. I think all of your conversions used the jeep axles due to width compared to the mini trucks track. Couriers, datsuns, luv pick ups were all common conversions back until 1980 or so iirc. Most of them were pretty much the same so do one and copy it for the others. There isnt much that comes up on the web for reference so anything goes pretty much as long as its leaf/solid axle configuration. Probably more than you wanted to know but I hope the info helps if your trying to make period correct looking conversions.
Paul

Edited by mr68gts, 21 June 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#8 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

last but not least i finally won an auction on ebay this time the chevy luv, although the chopped top and custom front end dont fit the offroad look itll have to do.

_57_zps57f76168.jpg

Edited by Platerpants, 22 June 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#9 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

last but not least i finally won an auction on ebay this time the chevy luv, although the chopped top and custom front end dont fit the offroad look itll have to do.

_57_zps57f76168.jpg

Monogram kitted one with a stock height roof. Should not be too hard to find.

#10 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

Monogram kitted one with a stock height roof. Should not be too hard to find.

Yes but its 1/24 i was strictly looking for 1/25, i'm going to mod the roof on this to be stock height, will have to make windshield. according to my ebay account all my models have arrived except the Toyota and Luv. Cant wait to start my new collection, might follow up this collection with a ranger and S-10 i already have a Dakota. again i see 1/25 superior to 1/24 scale(don't ask i'm weird that way....)

#11 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Little input needed, im thinking about seeing if the toyota front axle will work for all of them since its already 4x4. But if it is ill need to learn resin casting at a cheaper price seeing how i spent my money on models. Best way to mold and all. if not ill spend money on axles over time, after all i did invest in 5 kits plus i work 40 hours a week. 

#12 Pim

Pim

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Full Name:Brayden

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

Maybe look into the aoshima hilux off roader it's a curbside but could provide some very useful parts I am currently putting one under a London taxi

#13 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

Well im back from vacation, and have started the luv and datsun, but my 1:1 F150 is having brake problems so that is getting fixed tomorrow. Autozone here i come.... Pictures of the luv and datsun will come

#14 MikeBoyle

MikeBoyle

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Boyle

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

The Toyota axle was a common swap under all the trucks. Other than the Jeep axle mentioned earlier, it was the only other axle used by conversion companies. 

#15 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:25 AM

Got the courier converted to 4x4 with an old dif i found, lowering leaf springs from a ford truck and some round plastic. Also slowly working on Un-Chopping the roof on the chevy. The pictures are bad i know...

gggggg_zps3123fd59.jpgfffffff_zpsf8a5d8ba.jpg

Thanks for watching.

#16 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

Toyota got some paint. This is the color they will all sport.

securedownload_zps2bac4bed.jpg

#17 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

ford and datsun converted to 4x4 succesfully. datsun is half painted. Dont worry the chevy and dodge aint been forgotten just workin on ford and datsun first.securedownload_zpsb308a858.jpg

#18 BLOODBANE

BLOODBANE

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Full Name:S.M. Wills

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Watching this one. I did the Courier a few years ago. I went 4x4 with mine as well....

DSC00962.jpg

my "helper" (it seemed like I did all the work though)...

DSC00966.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

I did a mix of model and RC (Losi micro crawler). Had a lot of fun with the courier and its still going strong...

#19 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,336 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Looking good Jake...

#20 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana