#41 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,189 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:38 AM

There's no stock height rear springs since they're on the tree with the shaker hood and scoop.  You've got the makings of a pretty mean Street Machine with this kit, though.   

I have something like that in mind, maybe using the wide rear tires and Centerline mags from the MPC '74 (I have a bunch of the '80s blue street machine issue)..

#42 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

I also ran across this picture of a 71 Cuda in what looks like 70 trim. It might be the converted 70 Cuda:

www.pinterest.com.jpg

I have the add that this picture is in,( no idea where right now )  and IMO, the grille and ft  valance are airbrushed on. In print something just doesn't look right  . And this is the only picture I have ever seen of the 1971 car with the sixpack style scoop. So in my gut I think it is the 1970 car just airbrushed to show the all new 1971 ft end

Edited by gtx6970, 23 June 2014 - 06:55 AM.

#43 caine440

caine440

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Full Name:Roger

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

I always thought the same thing about that photo. Looks altered.

Great thread guys and thanks for all the info.

Very near and dear to my heart.

#44 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

It definitely has been airbrushed, but it might just be that the front was in shadow and they airbrushed it to pop it out a little. Might be something they threw together for the photo shoot.  Who knows?  

#45 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

OK guys, as requested, here are 25 images and commentary on the new kit.  

Thanks for all your input (some of which is included in my review).    Best regards...TIM 

http://public.fotki....evell-70-sox-a/

DSC_0654-vi.jpg

#46 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

No photos of even the new parts????

#47 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Sipes

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Awesome. Much anticipated kit for me. Didn't know it was to be out just yet. I just ordered mine. Can't wait for it to hit my workbench,

#48 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

No photos of even the new parts????

It's all at the link....25 photos and text....TIM 

#49 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Great job, Tim. I just walked in the door with mine about 5 minutes ago.

One thing I noticed was the slicks are almost EXACTLY like the new AMT Parts Pack M&H Racemaster 10.50-15" slicks except they're made from a stiffer, shinier material and the "step" in the bead has been removed since the Revell wheels are a tick bigger than AMT's typical size. Same thing applies to the stock front tires and the AMT Pack Pack Goodyear Polyglas GTs. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if these came out of the same molds. Can't say that I blame them if they did, they're nice tires. I don't have any of the larger size "Jumbo" AMT Racemasters on hand, but I imagine they'd work if someone would like a little bigger slick. But these look fine to me at first glance.

#50 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,944 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

that was a great review and pictorial, Tim. One thing I really don't fathom is that deep sump oil pan...but with the proverbial axle hole in it (ok in this case I guess its for the tie rod but come on son!). maybe that gets hidden somehow?

even though this car is pretty far from my interests, its still nice to be able to get a good look and historical perspective on these new releases.

jb

#51 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,189 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

That seems weird that a tie rod would go through an oil pan..how would that work?  Doesn't the tie rod need clearance to move when turning the left or right? 

#52 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

that was a great review and pictorial, Tim. One thing I really don't fathom is that deep sump oil pan...but with the proverbial axle hole in it (ok in this case I guess its for the tie rod but come on son!). maybe that gets hidden somehow?

even though this car is pretty far from my interests, its still nice to be able to get a good look and historical perspective on these new releases.

jb

jb and Rob - I kind of wondered the same thing.  But as I thought it through...the stock oil pan clears the tie rod and there is enough room inside for the rotating crank/rods et al.

So if the new deep sump pan extends below the tie rod, it doesn't change the basic architecture of the engine above including the centerline of the crank rotation et al relative to the tie rod location.  

I checked the reference article but unfortunately there is no shot of the underside to further clarify this, but i expect the real car probably has an open-air tubular passageway that the tie rod inserts into from one side and comes out the other side, while the oil circulates inside the pan.  

The one low-angle action shots posted in the prior forum page by Brett and Scott seems to coincide at least theoretically with this approach.  Can anyone who is more familiar with the subject add any info here?  TIM 

Edited by tim boyd, 23 June 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#53 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

I've seen pictures of the tie-rod-through-the-oil-pan setup and basically it's just a tube welded inside the oil pan and the tie rod passes through it. The ID of the tube is probably 3-4 times larger than the OD of the tie rod so there's some wiggle room.  I've been trying to find a picture of it, but no luck.

#54 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

I've seen pictures of the tie-rod-through-the-oil-pan setup and basically it's just a tube welded inside the oil pan and the tie rod passes through it. The ID of the tube is probably 3-4 times larger than the OD of the tie rod so there's some wiggle room.  I've been trying to find a picture of it, but no luck.

Can't find a pic of an OEM pan from back in the day, but here's a new aftermarket:

31420_small.gif

383-440 & HEMI - 81/4" DEEP, REAR SUMP

Originally designed for Super Stock campaigners and today used on all Super Comp, Super Gas and bracket classes as well, this design moves the sump completely to the rear, where it should have been in the first place, and where the oil wants to go! Fits '65 and later chassis for all Wedge and Hemi engines. Pan and a Milodon oiling system will allow the 8500 RPM plus range. Uses a tie rod tube through which the drag link is inserted after engine installation. Minor drag link modification may be necessary due to frame, steering and engine mount misplacement or movement from stock.  

#55 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the great review , Tim !

Regarding the steering linkage through the oil pan sump ; Dandy Dick Landy had this exact setup on his A/MP 1970 Hemi Charger . I  can only imagine that other Hemi-powered B & E Body MoPars had similar --if not exact-- arrangements .

Apparently , the lifespan of these custom 10 qt pans wasn't too long , as the welds would fatigue in short order .

Good call on the shifter for the Slick-Shift 4-speed !

I *believe* that the Reverse-Lockout was mandated for the 1968 or 1969 season (at least through NHRA's Super Stock class ...) . I was honestly expecting to see a Verti-Gate or Ram Rod shifter ; perhaps those didn't come along until c.1971 ?

I , along with many others , welcome this edition of the 1970 Hemi'Cuda ! Kudos to Revell for working within the parametres of the existing tooling's technological-limitations (e.g. , the hood's integral scoop) to bring the huddled masses a much-needed kit !

Here's a gorgeous looking '70 'Cuda in race livery :

Attached File  imagejpeg_0_zps3b67f02a.jpg   181.66KB   1 downloads

Edited by 1972coronet, 23 June 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#56 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

Courtesy of out beloved forum ; details of Landy's customised oil pan :

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=59278

Edited by 1972coronet, 23 June 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#57 Bowtienutz

Bowtienutz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Full Name:Vinnie
    I'm trying to be good
    0 warning points whatever that means.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

many years ago my friend Frank Kokosza built an the must accurate 70 barracuda you can imagine. The Revell kit won't hold a candle to it. you can find lots of pictures and a description of what he did and what you might want to fix with the help of Frank's extensive research here.

http://public.fotki....70_cuda/engine/

http://public.fotki....martin_70_cuda/

#58 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

edit - I didn't see Jeff's earlier response, I was busy scouring the Google looking for homemade versions!

Milodon makes deep sump oil pans with centerlink tubes already in there.  Theirs have square tubes, but I've seen the homemade versions with round tube.   Appears to be something necessary for Mopars with the stock K-member.  

MIL-31390_ml.jpg

I did find a pic of a homemade version on a Ford.  You get the idea...

S3000145-1.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow, 23 June 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#59 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

One bit of good news is the 7-cylinder distributor has been corrected...

DSC_5194-vi.jpg

#60 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

Courtesy of out beloved forum ; details of Landy's customised oil pan :

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=59278

Excellent!  That's exactly what I had envisioned.  Thanks John...TB