#1 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:17 AM

Yeah, hobby cars can become a hobby keeping them alive. As mentioned in another post, the timing chain cover on the Barracuda has developed a serious coolant leak. I figured I could tear it down and order parts in advance hoping to get her back together by the weekend. My Sister is visiting for 5 days next weekend from Florida and I was hoping to hit a cruise night while she's here.

Besides the timing chain cover, she's getting a new updated MSD 6AL ignition box, heat wrap for the fuel lines, and I'm going with an electric cooling fan set-up with sensor and related relay/harness installation. Looks like some late nights coming in the garage……  <_<

Image-vi.jpg

Image1-vi.jpg

Image2-vi.jpg

#2 scale trucker

scale trucker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Full Name:gordon berry

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

i wish they made that 6 pak intake to fit a magnum style motor

#3 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

i wish they made that 6 pak intake to fit a magnum style motor

Various rebuilders can drill your heads to make it work IIRC

#4 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

I had a similar problem with the timing chain cover on my 67 Tempest, it was trying to strand me on a hot day in Arizona (yeah, I know...all days are hot in Arizona).  I had to create a bandaid with left over radiator hose and some sheet metal screws to get it home, but made it okay and got the new cover on with no problem.

tempst2.jpg

#5 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

I just finally got the cover on this afternoon. I still have to wire the cooling fan, relay, & sensor. I made a shroud (one of the benefits of working where I do….) and installed the fan. Now to install a few hoses and get it going!

Being resourceful on the road is a gift. My sister used a band-aid and a pebble to give her a super high idle on her VW bug to get home when the throttle cable snapped! I still love telling that story 30 yrs. later….  BTW: Neat Tempest. Never seen those Mini Lite style wheels though.

#6 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

the Mini Lite wheels were a 1980's purchase, most likely won't see them again unless in a salvage yard.

I had a similar cable problem on my 68 Firebird, popped it up unto the fast idle cam...was still a slow trip home.

#7 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

After much cussing & swapping, I decided on abandoning the electric-only idea and added an auxiliary fan in addition to the stocker. I modified the shroud I made for use with the stock fan and bought a SPAL pusher fan and will return the puller I had bought initially.

Image16-vi.jpg

Stck fan with shroud.

Image15-vi.jpg

I'll finish up the fan relay/sensor wiring and we'll be at cruise night tonight.

Image14-vi.jpg

So far this season I had her out for 2 hours before disaster struck. Looking forward to tonight!