#1 zaina

zaina

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Full Name:andy lesiak

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

Trains aren't my thing but my 18 month old boy loves them so I decides to build this for him. Got half the track painted so far.

5B7B2FF3-F99D-4A06-8233-BE542F572300_zps
32887113-1EAE-4086-AFD6-29AE265A3E86_zps

#2 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,097 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

Great Project!

B)

#3 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

I've done trains three times in my life and now with a new grandson I purchased a Lionel train set to go around the Christmas tree. Of course I had to try it out when I bought it and I can't wait to set it up again. I've also bought more track for it and a tunnel too. As well as building model cars I'm working on an airplane kit which is something I haven't done since the 50's. So far I'm enjoyin' the trains and planes along with the cars.

#4 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

That's a great kit. I built two of them for static display on my model rail layout.....before I switched to O scale (1/48)

Maybe I can dig them out and photo them.

#5 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

I don't know if you are aware of this or not but I thought I would add it to the discussion.  Big Boy 4014 has been moved from the Pomona fairgrounds in LA to Cheyenne for a complete restoration.  You will once again get a chance to see this beast in it's full glory running the rails of America.  I remember it well.  My uncle was a yard master in Cheyenne for many years when these ran over Sherman hill and I remember seeing them head out of town or coming into town.  Here is a link to the restoration web site. http://www.up.com/ab.../2014_may.shtml  Until you see people standing next to the behemoth you really have no concept of how huge this thing really is!  It will be a fitting companion to the Challenger that the UP takes on tour from time to time.  A real part of American history!

#6 Biggie

Biggie

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Full Name:Rok Britovsek

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

I built two of them for static display on my model rail layout.....

Me too ! Really a great kit... also love the european series. Good luck with the project.

#7 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

I don't know if you are aware of this or not but I thought I would add it to the discussion.  Big Boy 4014 has been moved from the Pomona fairgrounds in LA to Cheyenne for a complete restoration.  You will once again get a chance to see this beast in it's full glory running the rails of America.  I remember it well.  My uncle was a yard master in Cheyenne for many years when these ran over Sherman hill and I remember seeing them head out of town or coming into town.  Here is a link to the restoration web site. http://www.up.com/ab.../2014_may.shtml  Until you see people standing next to the behemoth you really have no concept of how huge this thing really is!  It will be a fitting companion to the Challenger that the UP takes on tour from time to time.  A real part of American history!

Saw her in Pamona during my 2011 visit to So Cal.......I want to see her and 611 J both run someday. I have ridden behind 611 and been in her cab......seeing Big Boy would be great!

#8 Old Nasty

Old Nasty

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Barta

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

I live near the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin & they have Big Boy #4017 on display in it's own special building.  It's an awsome piece of machinery up close.  They have quite a collection including Eisenhower's war train that he used in Europe.  We do have other things to see & do besides the Packers.  

#9 zaina

zaina

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

I live in central Nebraska right on the UP line and see the challenger quite often. There is also a big boy on display in Omaha right on the Iowa border.

#10 The70judgeman

The70judgeman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Shoberg

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

@Steve- The firebox bricks were taken out of that Big Boy and were reused in the Milwaukee Road 261 when it was first restored...which is recently back on the rails after a couple of years off for a boiler rebuild and other mandatory work. Just a bit of useless trivia on the fire bricks. But anyway, I guess the big question is...is Big Boy 4014 going to be restored as a coal burner, or converted to oil burning? UP tried the oil burning conversion on 1 or 2 Big Boy's way back when, but it was too inefficient and converted it/them back to coal. I know UP Challenger 3985 is oil burning and it works, so maybe with the same newer technology they'll do the same on the Big Boy.

#11 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Dug mine out....a bit beat up and dusty. This is the DM&I version of the kit....issued only once. Different boiler front etc. Wish I had a mint kit now.

BIGBOYHO-vi.jpgBIGBOYHO1-vi.jpg

#12 Old Nasty

Old Nasty

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Barta

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

@Steve- The firebox bricks were taken out of that Big Boy and were reused in the Milwaukee Road 261 when it was first restored...which is recently back on the rails after a couple of years off for a boiler rebuild and other mandatory work. Just a bit of useless trivia on the fire bricks.  

Thanx for the tidbit.  I knew it wasn't operational.  

#13 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:40 AM

I live in central Nebraska right on the UP line and see the challenger quite often. There is also a big boy on display in Omaha right on the Iowa border.

Andy, I grew up in Sidney and am old enough to remember when the Challengers were still the main engines for the UP. My Mother was from Vermont and I remember traveling on the train to go visit her parents. Nothing like the old passenger service. I can still remember the smell of the trains from the steam engines. Very unique and not at all unpleasant.

Edited by Pete J., 29 June 2014 - 06:40 AM.

#14 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,524 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Dug mine out....a bit beat up and dusty...

You mean "weathered!"  ;)

Very nicely done model, it looks real.

#15 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

Dug mine out....a bit beat up and dusty. This is the DM&I version of the kit....issued only once. Different boiler front etc. Wish I had a mint kit now.

What scale is that Dave? Beautiful build and weathering.

I have the HO Rivarossi in mint condition but would like a larger scale.

I love these monsters-the GG-1 also a fave.

Edit: pardon my ignorance but who was DM&I?

Edited by Cato, 29 June 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#16 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range

the model is HO scale Monogram kit

Thanks

#17 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Dave.

#18 Belugawrx

Belugawrx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Coy

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Love the 1:87th scale cobwebs :D  :lol:

So Andy

hows it coming along??

#19 zaina

zaina

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

So Andy
hows it coming along??

No progress. Busy weekend doing home projects.

#20 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

So Andy

hows it coming along??

Like I said....just pulled it from the garage and photoed!!! :D  And with it broken up some wish I could find another DM&I verson.