Here is the unit being test fitted.
Jump to content
Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:49 PM
After some undercoat and trimming, here is how it looks. I am still to determine where the roof will sit in relation to the rest of the body. That will be easy enough though because I took measurement from the leading edge of the hood to the leading edge of the roof to determine the exact position.
Once I do that I will be able to adjust the rear of the body to suit. The b pillars in particular will need to be lengthened and once that is done I can begin the task of attaching the roof and finishing the front and rear edges in preparation for the fitting of the front and rear windscreens. That will be the next task.
Edited by fractalign, 20 September 2014 - 03:58 PM.
Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:03 AM
I spent time preparing the body for the roof. The first thing I did was cut back the sides, this roof sections will basically cover the whole area a lost up to the drip rails. Because the roof was longer than the roof sides on the body, I thickened the b pillar to bring it into line with the roof.
Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:06 AM
I also bevelled the roof sides because there is a slight drop where the roof meets the drip rails.
Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:14 AM
I am not ready to attach the roof just yet because I need to position it. I got the measurements yesterday by running the tape measure in a straight line from the front tip of the hood to the top front of the windscreen housing, the leading edge of the roof. To do the same thing on the model I will need to re attach the hood. In order for the hood to sit evenly I have created the channels along the top of the fenders.
Edited by fractalign, 21 September 2014 - 01:14 AM.
Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:20 AM
Here is how the roof sits at the moment, I will need to raise up the height of the b pillars slightly. They taper off too early which is why the plastic strip is holding up the roof. The next task will be to re - attach the hood and lock in the exact position for the roof.
Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:30 PM
I was planning to re attach the hood today to bring the body back together but I realised I would need a slight gap between the hood and the fender sides. In order to do this I was going to add the side braces on the underside of the hood so I checked the 1:1 hood and realised that there was a 10 mm wide crease that ran around the perimeter of the hood. I knew that I would have to add this detail sooner rather than later so I did. There is still a little clean up on the lower edge and I will need to trace the perimeter around the front edge but that will be a later task. There was something else that I wanted to finish off first.
Edited by fractalign, 21 September 2014 - 11:35 PM.
Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:43 PM
What I really wanted to get sorted out though was the roof namely the contour at the front. I was racking my brain trying to work out how to get this contour. Then it dawned me. I would get the angle of the A pillars in the 1:1 and angle the windscreen to the same position. Needless to say the contour gauge proved very useful in this task, I will let the photos do the rest of the talking.
Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:50 PM
With the contour of the front edge worked out, I was able to reproduce it in the 1:25 scale version with out too much trouble.
With that out of the way I will finally be able to focus on attaching the roof and finally bringing the two body sides together hopefully permanently. The next task will be to complete the roof section and get it ready for attachment.
Edited by fractalign, 21 September 2014 - 11:53 PM.
Posted Yesterday, 12:00 AM
Posted Yesterday, 12:24 AM
I will definitely be casting this one, you must have read my thoughts.
Posted Today, 01:57 AM
Having finished the top of the roof, I am now turning my attention to the underside. Before I even think about attaching it I will need to get all the details correct including the bracing and inside shape of the pillars. This is what the 1:1 roof looks like, you will notice the cross beam that extends from b pillar to b pillar. Also notice how the inside wall of the pillars are rounded.
Posted Today, 02:02 AM
The underside of the upper part of the front windscreen area will need to be recreated.
Posted Today, 02:08 AM
The upper part of the windscreen sits inside this recessed area. This will also need to be recreated. While most models feature a built in windscreen frame and glass that attaches from the inside, this one will have a separate windscreen frame and the windscreen will attach from the front just like the 1:1. There is a very good reason for this extra detail and that will be revealed later in the build.
Posted Today, 02:13 AM
The steel inner pressing in the C pillar will also be included. Next task will be to recreate all the elements in the roof and then begin the task of attaching it.