fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Full Name:robert sharp

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:44 PM

Hey Guys.

Having sorted out the taillights I have started work on the rear part of the body. The first thing I needed to do was a construct a contour gauge and due to the size I decided to only do one side, measured from the petrol cap in the centre.

P1010475_zpsdef46979.jpg

#442 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:47 PM

I decided I needed a better perspective with the contour guage so I photographed it from the roof of the shed. 

P1010479_zps024d4f83.jpg

Edited by fractalign, 20 December 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#443 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:53 PM

After getting the outside measurement of the gauge I used my set square to get the inside measurement. One thing that surprised me when putting the contour gauge together was the fact the the rear of the body is not flat. This would would not have been apparent had I not decided to put the gauge together. The curve is very gentle so it would be very easy to miss.

P1010480_zpsbd688786.jpg

#444 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:01 AM

Here is the first half of the gauge completed. I will be using the images of the 1:1 to cross reference the shape of this one. Once I am happy with the shape of this one I will use it as a template to create the other half, join the two halves together and then I will have a contour gauge for the rear of the body. This is necessary because once I have completed this gauge I can begin to start putting the body together. I was originally going to join it from the roof but I have decided that this will be a more logical way to do it. That will be the next task once the gauge is a complete.

P1010483_zps013d0cc3.jpg

Edited by fractalign, 20 December 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#445 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • Full Name:Jake Bridges

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:00 AM

you have my attention

#446 Rrrrrrumps

Rrrrrrumps

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Full Name:memysel fandi

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:27 PM

Change your name to Gulliver. Nice work, I love your attention to detail, but it's never ending. Do you ever go outside?

#447 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

It might sound strange but I actually don't put that many hours into this project. It tends to be more of an afternoon evening task, so I get plenty of fresh air.

Like many modellers, I have several other project on the go at the same time. I would like to get them completed so I can really put the hours into this one because I want have this finished some time next year...........fingers crossed !

#448 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:04 AM

Hey Guys.

Today I was able finish off the contour gauge but in order to do so I need to find the centre point in the 1:1 gauge. This was a straight forward task.

P1010484_zps38c21a57.jpg

#449 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:06 AM

Here is the completed contour gauge. The two pieces are attached to a length of balsa wood for rigidity. 

P1010487_zps3db90bfe.jpg

#450 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

With the gauge finished the boot which was rounded to match.

P1010489_zpse8162055.jpg

#451 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:20 AM

The rear end of the body was also shaped to match as well. I won't be re attaching the boot to this section just yet. There is a more pressing task and that involves finding the centre of the body itself.

P1010490_zps89db5660.jpgBecause I am putting the body together from the rear and not the roof i will need to have everything perfectly aligned. I pulled out the jig I made months ago to make some additions. I will complete the rear wheel arch columns, these will lock the body in place. This is the first one done. With these complete I will add to the section at the back. I have already marked out the centre point on the raised piece at the front. With the back section complete I can run a spine from one end to the other. At this stage I am thinking of using string but I will construct the rest of the jig first before I determine the spine. That will be thee next task.

P1010491_zps66f8f276.jpg

Edited by fractalign, 21 December 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#452 1 bad55 stan

1 bad55 stan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • Full Name:stan ponting

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:14 AM

Its getting there mate,

#453 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:30 AM

Hey Guys.

Its been a very slow evening. I have had to stop working on the body to get the jig in order. After adding the third wheel arch column, i cut out the fourth one and clamped it next to the third one to make sure the shape was the same.

P1010495_zpscd6167fd.jpg

#454 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:39 AM

With the final wheel arch column in place I ran a piece of balsa wood between the two columns. The purpose of this beam is to keep the two body halves apart. The body halves will need to be locked firmly in place when I begin assembling the body. As I mentioned last time I need to find the centre point in the jig because this where the rear part of the body will need to positioned for the sides to be attached. I anticipate at a least a couple of days more to finish the jig. Once I have the jig finished then i can finally start putting the body together.

P1010497_zpsdae00faa.jpg

Edited by fractalign, 22 December 2014 - 01:40 AM.

#455 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:59 PM

Hey Guys.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been taking a break to focus on some other projects.  I wish to thank you for all the positive feedback, and look I look forward to recommencing the project in early January.

Season Greeting !

Edited by fractalign, 24 December 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#456 rsxse240

rsxse240

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Reed

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

I've been watching this thread for a while now. There is some very good work going on in your hobby room.

I was looking on eBay.au and happened across something you may be interested in. A Holden LJ Torana resin body. I thought it was yours at first, but you don't seem to be quite done yet.

#457 fractalign

fractalign

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Yeah I know about that body. It was made by a friend of a friend of mine. It was one of the first bodies he cast but he stopped making them many years ago.

Cheers !