For any of you that still believe 3-D printing is a far-off dream...

• You cannot reply to this topic
48 replies to this topic

#21 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

how many hours do you figure he has in smoothing that mombomb body?

could we see a close up of the raw 3D printed fuel injection intake manifold or cam cover?

jb

#22 MustangGuy23

MustangGuy23

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Taylor

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

well here is the other end of the hobbyist equation: where exactly do you get your source files from? do  you have a 3D scanner which is what it would seem to me to need? and then of course the endless interfaces and software possibilities.

or do maybe these printers come with some point and click design software?

so I mean, how easy is it going to be to produce a simple small block chevy finned valve cover for example?

jb

3D Scanners are also becoming much much cheaper and common. Every XBox Kinect has one built in, of course it wouldn't work in this instance. But there are small desktop scanners out there. Just like with the printers they may not be completely ready for modeling, but they will be here very very soon.

#23 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:49 AM

Here's another story about how fast things are moving with 3D printing, complete buildings:

http://cwonline.comp...8458/679223/23/ 

#24 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

http://www.slashgear...tores-14337237/

For all of those that want one (Harry 3 stores in by you)here  is your store, Home Depot. 

Different MakerBot offerings have been made available. Both the Replicator Mini Compact 3D printer and the Replicator Desktop are available ($1,375 and $2,899, respectively), the Replicator 2 Desktop ($1,999), as well as the Digitizer Desktop 3D scanner ($799) and a roll of filament ($48).

For those living in California, Illinois, or New York, you may be able to pick one up at your local Home Depot store, with the following cities stocking the printers: Emeryville, East Palo Alto, San Carlos, Los Angeles, West Hills, Huntington Beach, Chicago (three stores), Naperville, and two locations in New York.

Edited by 1930fordpickup, 14 July 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#25 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Why?

Well, having seen several tooling mockups for 1/25 scale model car kits, 3D is still pretty rough, layered.  While the layered printing process isn't all that noticeable on straight, flat or vertical surfaces, on the compound surfaces of a model car body, or certainly on suspension components, the layered process often leaves those parts looking as if they were sanded to shape from some sort of wood with very pronouced hard & soft rings of woodgrain.

Just my view, of course--but one of these days?  Who knows?

Art

#26 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,382 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Well, having seen several tooling mockups for 1/25 scale model car kits, 3D is still pretty rough, layered.  While the layered printing process isn't all that noticeable on straight, flat or vertical surfaces, on the compound surfaces of a model car body, or certainly on suspension components, the layered process often leaves those parts looking as if they were sanded to shape from some sort of wood with very pronouced hard & soft rings of woodgrain.

Just my view, of course--but one of these days?  Who knows?

Art

The resolution that 3-D printers can output at is like megapixels in digital cameras... it will continue to increase at a very fast pace. Just a few scant years ago, a digital camera that had a 3 megapixel limit was state of the art. Today it's several times that. Why would you assume that 3-D printer technology isn't going to advance just as fast, if not faster?

Seriously... given where 3-D printing technology was just 2-3 years ago compared to where it is today, I can't understand those of you that still think it's some sort of far-off fantasy that might come true "some day."

#27 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,382 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

They figured out how to increase the storage capacity of CDs... went to DVD... now Blu-Ray, each a step forward in how much information can be stored on a disk.

They figured out how to dramatically increase the megapixels on digital cameras, and it's still going on...

They figured out how to increase the size of a TV screen... then they figured out HDTV and how to dramatically increase the amount of information a screen can deliver.

Do you seriously believe they're not going to figure out how to increase a 3-D printer's resolution?

Come on!  :lol:

#28 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

The resolution that 3-D printers can output at is like megapixels in digital cameras... it will continue to increase at a very fast pace. Just a few scant years ago, a digital camera that had a 3 megapixel limit was state of the art. Today it's several times that. Why would you assume that 3-D printer technology isn't going to advance just as fast, if not faster?

Seriously... given where 3-D printing technology was just 2-3 years ago compared to where it is today, I can't understand those of you that still think it's some sort of far-off fantasy that might come true "some day."

People hate change, people are afraid of new technology ,  I think part of the reason is this,  and this isnt a slam to anyone,  but with 3D printing, its not something that everyone may have knowledge on how to do it,  it not like say resin casting, which is something anyone can do for the most part,  if you want to do your own stuff with 3D printing,  there is going to be a very steep learning curve for many.

I am sure that software will come along that will make it more user friendly, but I feel that could one reason why

#29 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

>The resolution that 3-D printers can output at is like megapixels in digital cameras... it will continue to increase at a very fast pace.

that's true in a way but actually not. the problem is the physical size of the medium used to create the piece, and the nozzles needed to shoot that medium. while pixels exist only on an electronic tube, 3D printing is a physical piece in three dimensions and so is the material that makes up that physical piece. so not only must the resolution of the images become better but so must the hardware used to actually spray the resin as well as the resin itself.

probably million dollar machines are approaching a good standard currently but certainly anything you buy at home depot is not going to satisify the needs of a 24th scale modeler.

jb

jb

#30 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hey, I just today learned to use a MP3 player and load music to it. I'm gonna be really stocked to learn how to use a 3D copier.

#31 imatt88

imatt88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Full Name:Ian Matthews

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

This is some really cool stuff!!!!

Hey!  I need some parts for my Tamiya 1/12th scale Brabham  BT44B, any takers........? :lol: :P

#32 paul44224

paul44224

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Hudspath

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

I'm sure there will be a "3-D Printing For Dummies" book out soon...

Paul

#33 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

3D printed cage masts for 1/700 Pearl Harbor Battleships...     Can't make accurate versions from rolled PE because they have an hourglass shape.  In 1/700 these would be about the diameter of a ball-point pen.

brm71018__62509.1393276369.1280.1280.jpg

http://www.modelwars...BRM-review.html

#34 astroracer

astroracer

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

It doesn't matter how fine of a resolution printer you have sitting on your desk, if you can't build the 3D model that is needed to make a print there is no reason to have the printer. Designing and building the 3D model is the real show stopper here, everyone seems to forget that.

Mark

#35 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

This mornings news said Home Depot will now be carrying 3d printers in their stores. That should boost sales and get prices lower.

#36 cartpix

cartpix

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Davidson

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

It doesn't matter how fine of a resolution printer you have sitting on your desk, if you can't build the 3D model that is needed to make a print there is no reason to have the printer. Designing and building the 3D model is the real show stopper here, everyone seems to forget that.

Mark

I've been saying the same thing, since the 3D printers for modelers topics started. CAD programs are not easy to master & I doubt they will get much easier. Files will be available but at what price? What if you want something obscure?

#37 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

>Designing and building the 3D model is the real show stopper here, everyone seems to forget that.

I didn't...look at my post above.

jb

#38 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,382 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Believe me, as 3-D printers continue to advance in resolution capability and decrease in price, it will create a HUGE market for 3-D printable files of all sorts of things, including model cars. I have absolutely no doubt that one day very soon, owning a 3-D printer will be as common as owning a microwave oven, and there will be thousands of 3-D printable files available everywhere. It's inevitable. The technology exists. You can't put toothpaste back into the tube.

It's like telling Edison, ok, big deal, so you've invented the light bulb. But it's not as if we'll ever be able to buy them everywhere and use them to light our homes! That's just crazy talk!  :lol:  :lol:  

#39 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,382 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Alexander Graham Bell and his best buddy, circa late 1800s:

So Alex... you've invented this so-called "telephone" and you just called your assistant Watson in the next room? And you say that one day we will be able to use this "telephone" and actually talk to someone on the other side of the world?

HA!

Al. Dude. Seriously. It'll never happen! You're talking nonsense! Pie in the sky! Lay off the whiskey, my friend. This "telephone" of yours may be an interesting experiment... but surely it can't possibly develop into anything more.

#40 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

uh harry:

>But it's not as if we'll ever be able to buy them everywhere and use them to light our homes!

guess what?  you cant buy them anywhere anymore (at least not in California), not in their original design anyway.

but I think you're arguing with yourself, I don't think anyone thinks it wont happen, its just not happened yet

jb