For any of you that still believe 3-D printing is a far-off dream...

• You cannot reply to this topic
48 replies to this topic

#41 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

uh harry:

>But it's not as if we'll ever be able to buy them everywhere and use them to light our homes!

guess what?  you cant buy them anywhere anymore (at least not in California), not in their original design anyway.

but I think you're arguing with yourself, I don't think anyone thinks it wont happen, its just not happened yet

jb

of course you cant it gives you cancer

#42 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

maybe I missed something...what gives you cancer? (besides everything I mean)

the issue with incandescent light bulbs is electrical usage. not a problem in Edison's day

jb

#43 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

maybe I missed something...what gives you cancer? (besides everything I mean)

the issue with incandescent light bulbs is electrical usage. not a problem in Edison's day

jb

its a jab at california 

#44 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

yes well there is plenty to jab at!  :lol:

jb

#45 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

Just saw on the news this morning that Staples is going to sell 3D printers.

#46 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

A new thread on this site:

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=91721

#47 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

I just don't see the 3D printing thing becoming "household". The technically adept will adopt it and use it but most people are not that adept at using CAD or CAM programs, scanning, getting different pieces of hardware and software to work with each other.  Also, I don't think the finished products will be as good as molded products. They won't have the same integrity. It may be fine for Christmas ornaments and knick-knacks but not a lot else.

It isn't the "light bulb". The advantages of the light bulb were quite obvious. It is more like the "paperless office" and everyone working online from home. Great idea but probably won't happen for most people. It does however remind me of Steve Jobs mom - "Why would I ever need a computer in my home?"

Speaking of the light bulb - did you know that the first electrical generating plant only operated at night? The only electrical devices were lights and you only needed them at night. The future is unpredictable.

#48 S. Svendsen

S. Svendsen

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Full Name:Sean Svendsen

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

I agree with Harry on this one. I work in the product development world as an industrial designer. We've been working with 3d printed parts for about 20 years now but in the last 5 or so the technology has rapidly become cheaper, faster and better. But the tech is still just in its infancy. It's where PC computing was in the late 70's. People then thought computers only had uses for business and hobbyists. By the 90's though everybody had one. And now you can do the same things plus more from your phone. As people figure out how to leverage 3d printing technology and make it more accessible, durable and practical, its going to invade every aspect of your life even in ways you cant imagine now.... printing your food, your products, your home, even living tissue. Sound crazy? Check it out. All is being done right now. Within the next two decades 3d printing is going to explode. It's not going to be a manner of whether or not you have a 3d printer in your home. The question is how many styles of 3d printers will you have and what can't be printed?

Edited by S. Svendsen, 22 July 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#49 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Full Name:Steven

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

What Sean said is probably true. Having said that, I haven't seen any product from this type of 3 - D printing currently viable for hobby use, without a LOT of finish prep work...Not yet, anyway, IMHO.....'Z'