#41 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

I would agree. Which makes lists like this a little iffy... some of the cars on this list have nothing in common over the years but the model name, so some of them really don't belong on the Top Ten best-seller list. Too many changes over the years to be considered the "same" car. This list is definitely a list of best-selling nameplates of all time... not necessarily best-selling cars of all time.

That's what sales numbers are about..best selling 'nameplates' or 'model names'...not a specific version of the product.   All cars evolve over time--the Mustang today isn't the Mustang of 50 years ago.  Nor is the Ford F series.  It's just that some nameplates have had very slow/few changes like the Beetle did or the Model T did while others are heavily changed every 4-6 years or so.

The list is valid as it is of what models have been the best selling over time, not what version or generation of a model.  One could dissect the #s for the Ford F series pickups--what is the total # sold since '48 or whenever they first made an F-series vs what's the total number of the '80-96 generation (the longest running IIRC), or the total # of the 67-72 generation, etc. 

Edited by Rob Hall, 09 July 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#42 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,469 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

A 1967 Impala with V8 and RWD is not the same car as a FWD V6 "Impala," other than the name.

#43 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

A 1967 Impala with V8 and RWD is not the same car as a FWD V6 "Impala," other than the name.

Yes, but the sales of the model count the same.   Same with the Mustang, a '65 is not the same car as a '15.  Same model, though.

#44 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

The list is valid as it is of what models have been the best selling over time, not what version or generation of a model.

Except for the fact that it was called the list of best selling cars of all time. It gets a little messy when a car like the Model T, which really was the same car throughout its life is on the same list with the Impala, which was definitely not the same car over its existence.

#45 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

Except for the fact that it was called the list of best selling cars of all time. It gets a little messy when a car like the Model T, which really was the same car throughout its life is on the same list with the Impala, which was definitely not the same car over its existence.

This is devolving into pointless trivia... based on the models on the list, best selling 'cars' in the context of this list means best selling 'model names'.  Not physical implementation of the product.  Very few examples are like the original Mini, original Beetle, or Model T...most models change (often radically) every 4-6 years or so with a new generation.

Edited by Rob Hall, 09 July 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#46 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,818 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Harry!   Your thoughts are pointless trivia.  :o   Who knew? 

#47 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

to add my pointless point of view...  I'll give it to them IF the car was continuously in production, and evolved over time.  As in Ford F150 or even the Mustang.  The vehicles changed greatly, but never went out of production.

Corolla counts since it's been constantly in production. Cars like the Olds Cutlass is a US market only car, so it couldn't have made the needed numbers.  Although Buicks are quite the rage in China these days.

What I wouldn't count is retreads. Cars like Impala that went out of production, and many years later they dusted off the name again. Add Dodge Dart and Challenger,  Camaro, New Beetle, New Mini, Chrysler Town & Country and a bunch of others.

#48 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Harry!   Your thoughts are pointless trivia.  :o   Who knew? 

I know, right? Apparently I've been relegated to the "doddering fool" category. On my own thread!  :lol:

#49 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

to add my pointless point of view...  I'll give it to them IF the car was continuously in production, and evolved over time.  As in Ford F150 or even the Mustang.  The vehicles changed greatly, but never went out of production.

Corolla counts since it's been constantly in production. Cars like the Olds Cutlass is a US market only car, so it couldn't have made the needed numbers.  Although Buicks are quite the rage in China these days.

What I wouldn't count is retreads. Cars like Impala that went out of production, and many years later they dusted off the name again. Add Dodge Dart and Challenger,  Camaro, New Beetle, New Mini, Chrysler Town & Country and a bunch of others.

I agree with you in principle, but hasn't the Beetle/New Beetle been in continuous production (at least somewhere in the world) since 1938?

#50 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

I agree with you in principle, but hasn't the Beetle/New Beetle been in continuous production (at least somewhere in the world) since 1938?

Argh! You are right, old Beetle production didn't end until new Beetle was being produced. You just wanted company in  the "doddering fool" category.    :lol: 

#51 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

Argh! You are right, old Beetle production didn't end until new Beetle was being produced. You just wanted company in  the "doddering fool" category.    :lol: 

Welcome aboard!  :lol:

#52 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

Doesn't really matter if there is a production gap...the Camaro is still the Camaro.  The New Mini started the year after the original Mini ended, but I probably would count it and the original as distinct because of the branding..

Edited by Rob Hall, 09 July 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#53 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Hmm..the edit feature isn't working.  As far as the Beetle, I'd consider the original (which was never named Beetle), the New Beetle and the Beetle (New New current car) as 3 distinct models because of the 3 distinct names.   Though the New Beetle and New New could be argued as 2 generations rather than distinct.  But I'd consider the Challenger 1 model w/ 3 generations, the Charger 1 model w/ 7 generations (the gaps don't matter, IMO).

Edited by Rob Hall, 09 July 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#54 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

As far as the Beetle, I'd consider the original (which was never named Beetle)

Volkswagen factory brochure from 1976...

http://www.auto-broc...Beetle_1976.pdf

Welcome to the Doddering Fool's Club. We've been saving you a seat.

#55 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

Volkswagen factory brochure from 1976...

Interesting...always thought 'Beetle' was a nickname on the old models and was officially named the VW 1600 or similar..

#56 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

As far as the Beetle, I'd consider the original (which was never named Beetle), 

Hmmm... maybe the first time a manufacturer adapted the slang name for their product.. (oh, I know someone will post something earlier, this is just bait for that)

The next time is White Castle  "Sliders".   The burgers became sliders in slang because they slid right through your digestive tract, often exiting unexpectedly and rapidly.   I thought it was very funny when I first heard their commercial, kinda like admiting the anti-medicinal value of their product.  Now "Slider" is generic slang for any small burger... beef, chicken, barbecue beef  etc. no doubt accepted by folks too young or ignorant to understand the origins.

Edited by Tom Geiger, 09 July 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#57 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

The next time is White Castle  "Sliders".   The burgers became sliders in slang because they slid right through your digestive tract, often exiting unexpectedly and rapidly.   I thought it was very funny when I first heard their commercial, kinda like admiting the anti-medicinal value of their product.  Now "Slider" is generic slang for any small burger... beef, chicken, barbecue beef  etc. no doubt accepted by folks too young or ignorant to understand the origins.

I remember as a kid hearing my older brother explain the origin of that name..he also called them 'gut bombs'..

:)

The bar my company frequents for happy hour in Tempe has beef, chicken, and pulled pork ones..we usually order a few rounds, they go down well w/ a pint or two of brew...

Edited by Rob Hall, 09 July 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#58 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

I remember as a kid hearing my older brother explain the origin of that name..he also called them 'gut bombs'.. :)

Yea, we'd describe it as a restroom theme restaurant, all done in white bathroom tile. Figured there should have been 4 toilets around each table....   what a visual!

#59 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

Yea, we'd describe it as a restroom theme restaurant, all done in white bathroom tile. Figured there should have been 4 toilets around each table....   what a visual!

DANG YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm having trouble breathing!

:P

#60 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,818 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

Welcome aboard!  :lol:

Rob has assigned quite a few of us to the Doddering Old Fools Club.  It's kind of satisfying to see him establishing a Middle-Aged Fools Division.   ^_^