#1 AC Norton

AC Norton

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Full Name:A.C. "the ACE" Norton

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

does anyone know when the original amt modified stockers series,,,64 ford, 66 skylark, 65 olds 88, etc, hit the stores back in the day. I built 3 of the original issues in late 1977, but found some of them hard to find in most stores around here back then. also, does anybody remember if all 9 came out at once, or were they issued 2 or 3 at a time. I am building the 64 ford re issue at present and have always had a soft spot for them,,,just thought I would ask. thanks, a.c.

#2 james460

james460

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

Around 1970 I believe. I built a couple right after I got married. 1970 As to how they were issued I'm not sure. I built an Olds and a Fairlane back then. At least that what my 65 year old mind remembers.

#3 John Gorday

John Gorday

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Full Name:John Gorday

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

I built a Chevelle somewhere along about the mid 70s with the balloon tires of the day.  Then about 6 years ago, I learned about   filling in the wheel wells a bit and using PPP wheels and tires, and I liked it a lot better.   And then about 2 years ago, I built the ' 64 Ford with PPP wheels and tires, didn't fill the wells in at all, and thought it looked just fine.

Most guys don't like the balloon tires, but there are ways around that.  The MS series of kits, I think, make an easy, basic, late model of that day, if you just want a shelf model like I do.  :D

then

#4 AC Norton

AC Norton

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

I feel the same, john. they are a simple, yet a fun series to build and enjoy. I am presently working on the 64 ford mod, and enjoying it very much. I think all of the 9 in this series are interesting,...even if not really up to par by the standards of todays models. I will post it upon completion hopefully in a week or two. thanks for your input. a.c.

#5 james460

james460

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

Doesn't take much effort to make a nice model out of them. The biggest shame is they changed molds to make them what they are. I love to have a 64 Ford restored to stock. That's probably never going to happen. AC just to let you know, sometime in the late 60's one of the NASCAR driver, I think it was Bill Dennis drove a 64 Galaxie in the Sportsman race at Martinville Va. Everyone else was driving Chevelles, Fairlanes, Novas. It was a big deal on the local news.

#6 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

One thing I've wondered about this series: Were those huge wide slicks really common for the Modified Stocker class in the early '70s, or did AMT just use what they had available?

Anyone have more info on the PPP wheels/tires John mentioned?

Edited by ChrisBcritter, 11 July 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#7 AC Norton

AC Norton

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

well, now that you ask....old photos of some mods in that late 60s to mid 70s era seem to have huge slicks. several of the pics I have recently seen have the tire way out from the body. seems different cars and such ran different setups, but I am no expert. the 64 ford mod I am doing now looks better once the tires are sanded down some, with the sharp side edges rounded out a bit as well. I also trimmed the axle stubs down about 40 percent to bring them in some. that really helps, and looks ok to my eye. best, a.c.

#8 John Gorday

John Gorday

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

I am new to this forum.  Are we allowed to mention manufacturers, or aftermarket people ? If so, I have info about PPP or someone else might like to go ahead and mention them. 

#9 Truck parts

Truck parts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • Full Name:gordon d.dickerson

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

We use to run a 65 mustang in the late 70's . The tires was about 18 inches wide,and threaded . We raced on dirt,and was also working on that thing.

#10 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

One thing I've wondered about this series: Were those huge wide slicks really common for the Modified Stocker class in the early '70s, or did AMT just use what they had available?

Anyone have more info on the PPP wheels/tires John mentioned?

Depended on the track and the local rules.  Around here they allowed a big slick on the right front only back in the day.  1/4 mile bullring at Thunder Road, owned and operated by none other than Ken Squier.

#11 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

The '65 Chevelle Modified kit is close to what I remember at a track in Norwood, MA back in 1971. It was a 1/4 mile track.

Follow this link where you will see these cars.

www.norwoodarena.com

This has a great track history, pictures of cars through out all the years. I went there last time in 1971

Edited by Bob Ellis, 22 July 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#12 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the link, Bob - lots of inspiration there. The Volkswagen Mini Stocks were new to me - might be something fun to do with that IMC VW I've had sitting around forever.

#13 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:11 AM

Chris, it's funny you mention the VWs.

I remember them racing at the Norwood 1/4 mile track. They were incredibly loud with a buzzing sound. Like bees at 150 decibels. Not super fast, but as a group, they were competitive. 

#14 Dale W. Verts

Dale W. Verts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:D.W. Verts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

John, I believe links/information is always welcome.

Dale

#15 james460

james460

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

The PPP wheels are really nice. They are molded between 1/24-1/25 scale so they work well for both scales. They come with decals for the call out either Goodyear/Firestone. I haven't tried their newer dirt, square treaded tires which would probably go nice with the any of the stocker kits. I think they may come with hoosier decals but not sure. Most of the major after market model suppliers have them listed as in stock. They are good stuff.

#16 John Gorday

John Gorday

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

Yes, you can google Plastic Performance Products, and get lots of information.

The actual business is owned by David Hawkins and he is a pleasure to deal with. He is in Asheville, North Carolina, and the number is 828 670 1450.

The tire decals that I have gotten from him are Firestone.    He tells me that any of his tires will fit any of his wheels. I have not tried the dirt tires yet.   :) 

#17 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:33 AM

Plastic Performance Products = beautiful stuff. Gorgeously molded wheels and tires. Intricate detail.

For dirt tires, you can get square tread or angle cut, and I believe McCrearys, Hoosiers, Good Years and American Racer markings.

Buy early, buy often! :)