#1 AC Norton

AC Norton

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Full Name:A.C. "the ACE" Norton

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

does anyone know when the original issue amt modified stockers short track series of 9 cars came out back in the day.....I  built 3 of them in the summer of of 1977, and it was hard finding all of them around here as I recall. I am building the re issue 64 ford mod presently, and have always had a soft spot for them. thanks, a.c.

#2 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

First issued in 1971. All nine were out that year. The first one dropped was the '66 Skylark (wasn't in the '72 catalog if I remember right), by '74 only the '66 Impala and '65 Chevelle were in the catalog.

#3 AC Norton

AC Norton

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

thanks for that info, mark. makes sense now that the 65 fairlane, 65 olds, and the 65 gto were all that seemed to be around here by 1977 summer.   regards, a.c.

#4 scummy

scummy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Harmer

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

G,day , i just pulled out my copy of the AMT 1971 catalog . And all i can see is 6 modified stockers ,

T-189 66 Buick skylark

T-190 65 olds 88

T-191 65 fairlane

T-192 66 chevy

T-193 64 ford

T-194 69 torino

#5 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

The other three ('65 Chevelle, '65 GTO, '69 Falcon) came out during '71. They aren't in the '71 catalog, but are in the '72 catalog and not listed as "new" for that year. The '66 Skylark was gone for '73, and for '74 only the two Chevies were listed. Both of those disappeared after '74.

#6 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

In addition, most of these weren't great sellers. I had the '66 Skylark back in the day, I picked it up on clearance. That would have been in '71 or early '72; we moved in mid-'72 and I remember having that one prior to the move. I had the Chevelle too, but that one was bought when it first came out. These kits were called "butchered" in one of the model car magazines back then. But to be fair, the issues of some of these kits prior to the conversion didn't sell well. I had pre-Modified Stocker issue '65 Olds and '65 Fairlane kits that I'd bought for cheap AFTER the Stocker issues appeared.

#7 AC Norton

AC Norton

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

its funny,,,,,after buying and building cars from 1968 on, I really don't remember these kits from their 71 issue era. as I mentioned prior, I  had 3 in  the 1977 summer, and don't  recall them until sparking a stock car interest at that time.  I think you are correct, mark, that they were poor sellers too. buying the olds, fairlane, and gto around town in mid 77 I think tells us there was no lineup at the shops for these. certainly enjoying the 64 ford mod I am building at present. a.c.

#8 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

The other three ('65 Chevelle, '65 GTO, '69 Falcon) came out during '71. They aren't in the '71 catalog, but are in the '72 catalog and not listed as "new" for that year. The '66 Skylark was gone for '73, and for '74 only the two Chevies were listed. Both of those disappeared after '74.

nothing really to do with this thread but darn I wish I had that kind of memory

#9 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

I feel like they destroyed some good kits. The 66 Impala was a mistake, to me.

#10 THarrison351

THarrison351

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Harrison

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

I built the '64 Ford Modified Stocker as a kid in the early 70's. Don't remember too much except the two piece tires would fall apart and the bumper and side braces kept falling off. I liked to push the cars around and crash them into each other. Now I have all the reissues including a case of the 66 Chevys. I built the Falcon, Olds, and Buick to look like the box art. I wish they would have left the '65 GTO alone. The stock version is pretty poor. I have the reissued AMT (MPC) Monte Carlo and GTO Super Stockers, too bad the Mustang, Camaro, Barracuda, and Chevelle were lost or returned to stock. Don't get me started on all the lost MPC NASCAR stockers and pro stocks.

Edited by THarrison351, 10 July 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#11 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

For me, these are the worst things AMT ever did! They ruined several great kits that I'd love to be able to build stock now. In fact I'd buy all of them, if they could still built stock. I like them all, even the '65 Olds 88. So, I literally hate AMT's Modified Stockers. Let's never mention them again!

Scott

Edited by unclescott58, 11 July 2014 - 12:34 AM.

#12 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

For me, these are the worst things AMT ever did! They ruined several great kits that I'd love to be able to build stock now. In fact I'd buy all of them, if they could still built stock. I like them all, even the '65 Olds 88. So, I literally hate AMT's Modified Stocks. Let's never mention them again!

Scott

If AMT thought there was money in the kits.....they could be restored back at any time. The GTO was, the 69 Torino was. The Falcon is the only one I'd put any money into. It MIGHT get a return on investment if the stock stuff is floating around in the mold.  The rest would not turn a profit.....and had they not been modified and given new life would have been scrapped by now anyways.

#13 DR JAY

DR JAY

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Van Nostrand

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

I sure do like the Header-manifolds that came in the Impala kit...PERFECT for that Mystery-Motor 1963 Chevrolet conversion. 

#14 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

If AMT thought there was money in the kits.....they could be restored back at any time. The GTO was, the 69 Torino was. The Falcon is the only one I'd put any money into. It MIGHT get a return on investment if the stock stuff is floating around in the mold.  The rest would not turn a profit.....and had they not been modified and given new life would have been scrapped by now anyways.

I hope your right about them restoring back the Falcon. That is the number one kit I'd like to see back in its original form. Followed closely by the '66 Skylark.

Scott

#15 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

When they restored the AMT 65 GTO, it didn't exactly return to it's former self. The first ERTL version had wires covering the headlights and some body contours were wrong. But, it is possible they could come back.

The biggest problem is the kits were based off promos and the kit design, not even considering cost to restore, is too primitive for todays modelers taste.

I wonder if the current supply of used kits / unbuilts satisfies the few that may want those cars.

#16 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

nothing really to do with this thread but darn I wish I had that kind of memory

Not memory, just having the catalogs! I should have looked at the '71 catalog before my initial post, however. I don't have the mid-year release listing for '71, though. 

For me, these are the worst things AMT ever did! They ruined several great kits that I'd love to be able to build stock now. In fact I'd buy all of them, if they could still built stock. I like them all, even the '65 Olds 88. So, I literally hate AMT's Modified Stockers. Let's never mention them again!
For "worst", I'll nominate the Boss Nova. I'd bet a lot of folks would like to have the stock '63 Nova wagon back again...
Scott

#17 AC Norton

AC Norton

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

i'll forgive you for that, mark,...but don't make that kind of error again....lol....a.c.