kits you just cant bring yourself to build.

• You cannot reply to this topic
48 replies to this topic

#21 moparfarmer

moparfarmer

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Farmer

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

I always wanted a JoHan 66 Chrysler 2 dr ht..Unbuilt in a flat box..Finally got one and more JoHan Flat box kits unbuilt..Hell I'am 66 yrs old and will NEVER build some of my collection..Someone saw that I was thinking of selling some of my stash and came over..I asked a fair amout and they bought about $500.00 worth of

two kits I had..All I did was smell the air in the box and goke it a couple of times..I have two other built unpainted in mint condition so I could part with it..Sure was

hard  but hadn't looked at it in two years..Won't miss it...

#22 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

I know one thing for sure.  I have too many kits and if I live another 40 year I may get to all of them but that would make me 104.  Not likely I will get to all of them.  Having said that, there are no "holy grail" kits in the pack.  When I look at my next project, they are all on the table.  Some are multiyear projects others are week end project.  I guess it depends on what I am in the mood for.  I do know that I have kits I probably won't ever want to build as they were purchased at a different time in my life and I have lost interest in the genera. But, no, there are no kits I won't build, just those I won't get around too. :D

#23 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,421 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

I bought every kit I own but one to build. I am not a collector of unbuilt kits..

#24 ianguilly

ianguilly

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Full Name:Ian guilfoyle

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

I don't build some kit because I want my skills to improve before I attempt them. I collect certain kit because I have a little bit of a vintage mopar collection.

#25 kitbash1

kitbash1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Full Name:Douglas Graves

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

I never set out to be a collector and don't consider myself one. Yet there are several I won't build. I'm not driven by raw consumerism. I maybe have a greater sense of future and maybe feel like I'm keeper of the kit until someone else wants to enjoy what I've been able to enjoy. On some things, just appreciating the plastic is enjoyment enough. But I always buy with the intension of building, it just occasionally evolves into something else.

I'm the same way. I didn't start out to be a collector, I was going to build everything I bought. Then something happened, that I can't put my finger on and I started to look for collectible kits. I buy to build, but I also buy to collect.

Edited by kitbash1, 10 July 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#26 Helix

Helix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Hincks

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

I have a good collection of kits and my intentions are to build all of them; however, there's one I bought over 20 years ago (Revell Germany T600 Kenworth) even went to the extra effort and bought aftermarket accessories (Auselowe) to make it look Australian!

I've opened the box up countless times, looked at the kit and just put it back in the cupboard.....  :blink:  :lol: !!

#27 GLMFAA1

GLMFAA1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Smith

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

Here is a thought, A fellow modeler that I know has this philosophy: Buy three, one to build, one to hoard and one to speculate.

greg

#28 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

I've never done this kind of thing. If I buy a model, I will build it, I see no reason to buy something so rare that I couldn't build it. Models are meant to be built. ;)

#29 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

My intent in buying any model is always to build it. The trouble is I've got so many kits I know I'm never get around building then all.

There is only one kit in my collection I will for sure never build. And that is a JoHan Chrysler Turbine Car kit. I have a mint one sitting in its original box. Everything is still on the trees and pack in that unique set up JoHan used on some kits. Like I say it's mint, but for some reason when I opened it up, and it was still factory sealed, I found it to be missing the glass parts!? I've built the Turbine several times in the past. And I own an original promo. Plus with that unique so called "frame-pak" parts layout. I want to leave this kit alone. I just wish I had the glass for it, still on there original trees to complete the kit.

Scott

#30 clovis

clovis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Jackson

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

I have so many interests in life that I have an odd philosophy about kits and model building.

I have sworn myself to only buy one kit at a time, and not buy any more until I've completed the current build. So far, with the exception of a Revell kit that I found at a thrift shop, I am good to my word. At the same time, I am not cranking out builds like the average builder on this forum.

It is cool to see the mountains of collections that many people have collected...I've just decided to not collect kits.

#31 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,421 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:24 AM

Some of us have intentions of building our kits., Sometimes if you don't buy a kit or two when you have the chance, you never know how much it will cost later. None of us like the postage and ebay prices on out of production kits..

#32 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

Technically were all collectors to a point....rather we build them and put them in a display case or have them on a shelf in the box built or un-built.  We often get a few we want to build and they can wait for their turn too.   My biggest thing is wanting to build/collect cars/trucks the family owned...its just been a dream of mine and was one my dad had too.

#33 mrspex

mrspex

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Full Name:David Owen

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:33 AM

I don't have any that I wouldn't build. I do, however, have a bunch that may not get built.

#34 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

Occasionally I'll come across something that is too rare to build. Promos for instance.

I immediately trade it for something that I will build. Zero interest in collecting.

#35 JTalmage

JTalmage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Talmage

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

I have like 60 kits, and I'm not going to build all of them immediately, and my problem is that I keep accumulating more. I'm only 28, but I took about a 10 year break from the hobby. Most I bought when I was a teen/late teen, some are pretty rare as far as modern kits go, but my biggest deal is, I only have 1, maybe two if im lucky of certain kits, and I catch myself thinking of multiple iterations of how I want to build this ONE kit.. then I tell myself I need more than one kit. So usually I dont build a kit until I 100% decide what I'm going to do w/ it, and build another kit instead. Or, I get a new kit, and it pushes the kits that I'm less interested in building to the back of the line. I'm bad about that. I organize them in my closet where I keep them by order of interest. Chevys at the back lol

#36 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

I don't have any that I wouldn't build. I do, however, have a bunch that may not get built.

That's my problem too..................

#37 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

Occasionally I'll come across something that is too rare to build. Promos for instance.

I immediately trade it for something that I will build. Zero interest in collecting.

If you do please let me know...I love restoring/collecting promos.

#38 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

I have like 60 kits, and I'm not going to build all of them immediately, and my problem is that I keep accumulating more. I'm only 28, but I took about a 10 year break from the hobby. Most I bought when I was a teen/late teen, some are pretty rare as far as modern kits go, but my biggest deal is, I only have 1, maybe two if im lucky of certain kits, and I catch myself thinking of multiple iterations of how I want to build this ONE kit.. then I tell myself I need more than one kit. So usually I dont build a kit until I 100% decide what I'm going to do w/ it, and build another kit instead. Or, I get a new kit, and it pushes the kits that I'm less interested in building to the back of the line. I'm bad about that. I organize them in my closet where I keep them by order of interest. Chevys at the back lol

This is how it starts! I'm twice your age and never took the ten year break. I always have an idea or two on how I'm going build a kit. I just get distracted by other kits. I have a lot of built kits. I maybe have slightly more unbuilt kits. I'm sure all together I now have over 500 or 600 kits! Probably close to 100 or more promos. And I can not even guess how many Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning, etc. I own. So your young. You have plenty of time to catch up.

Scott

#39 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

My intent in buying any model is always to build it. The trouble is I've got so many kits I know I'm never get around building then all.

There is only one kit in my collection I will for sure never build. And that is a JoHan Chrysler Turbine Car kit. I have a mint one sitting in its original box. Everything is still on the trees and pack in that unique set up JoHan used on some kits. Like I say it's mint, but for some reason when I opened it up, and it was still factory sealed, I found it to be missing the glass parts!? I've built the Turbine several times in the past. And I own an original promo. Plus with that unique so called "frame-pak" parts layout. I want to leave this kit alone. I just wish I had the glass for it, still on there original trees to complete the kit.

Scott

I got one like that too.  Everything's there but the glass.  I figure I can make the windshields and I'll just cast some clear headlight lenses.  I intend on building mine.  :)

#40 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

Nothing is sacred in my collection. I'll cut up almost anything. 

But not this one…...

OriginalHUG-vi.jpg