Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Impala and '69 Galaxie

Bob Ellis

Ron, I would make a convertible out of that '72 Impala. But, I have to admit a Caprice is a good idea.

Bob,

I have a "phantom" '76 Caprice in the works.

2005_01150037.jpg

I love that '69 Ford. I did mine in Triple Black.

Mamameetingjuly212012027.jpg

I was going to do it as a XL/GT, with gold stripes, but the decals disintigrated.

Ron, both convertibles look great.

Since you posted the pictures, I now have a couple of questions.

How did you make the Caprice convertible windshield? Any details on fabricating it? I have 2 more 71-75 Chevy convertibles to do and maybe your method is better than mine.

Where did the simulated mags on the '69 Galaxie come from. They look correct as an option that year.

Edited by Bob Ellis

Ron, both convertibles look great.

Since you posted the pictures, I now have a couple of questions.

How did you make the Caprice convertible windshield? Any details on fabricating it? I have 2 more 71-75 Chevy convertibles to do and maybe your method is better than mine.

It's kind of complicated to describe how I made that windshield and frame, but i'll do my best. First I cut the roof from the Caprice, leaving the "A" pillars intact. I then added some plastic rod to them to make an "L" shaped bracket for the glass to rest on. I had some clear acetate that I cut in the general shape of the stock windshield, using the kit glass as a pattern. I fitted the "glass to the pillars. Once I was satisied with that, I put some masking tape on the glass, and drew the corresponding rounded top on the glass, and trimmed it away. I fabricated a upper frame out of multiple pieces of plastic rod, bent it to shape, fitted it to the modified windshield, and attached that piece to the pillars on the car. I have to tweak the top a little, and add a set of sun visors. If you notice, I also did the trunk lid on this one too, making it virtually flat, with a ridge in the center. The boot on this one needs a little tweaking, but it is pretty close. I will probably change the wheels and tires on this one, using a set that are close to stock for a '76 Caprice, probably a set of wire wheel covers and pin white radial tires.

2005_01150022.jpg

Where did the simulated mags on the '69 Galaxie come from. They look correct as an option that year.

I got the wheelcovers from Missing Link Resin. They were originally in the MPC '69 Jeepster. I modified the center cap, and detail painted them according to my reference material. There are similar wheelcovers from other sources, but these are the only correct set for this application.

Mamameetingjuly212012028.jpg

The wheelcovers in the Lindberg SS396 are not correct for this application, nor are they correct for the car in the kit. Those wheelcovers are a good fit for '67-8 Plymouth and Dodges, and the '68 Shelby GT. I used them on my '68 Barracuda.

2005_1204Dec2005Projects0001.jpg

The only correct Sport Wheelcover for the '65 through '68 Chevrolet applications come from the Revell 65 Chevelle SS396 Z16 kit. I used them on my '66 El Camino.

1966ElCamino.jpg

On all of the wheelcovers, I detail painted them according to my refernce material, and mounted the on period correct tires for the application. All the aformentioned wheelcovers are similar in appearance, but not the same. I hope I answered your questions.

My approach to making a big body GM convertible windshield was build a complete new frame. The MPC and Johan models have hardtop windshield frames that are incorrect for a convertible. First, I cut off the roof and the front windshield frame. I used the kit glass as the basic shape. After studying 1:1 photos, I decided the windshield frames were rounded on the top ends and have a shallow V at the top center.

Using Evergreen styrene, I built a frame around the kit glass gluing it to the glass. I then shaved and sanded the shape around frame edges.

I made a slot in the body so the A posts can slip into the body. My original '71 Impala (Green Vegetable) shows how the frame fits into the body.

My approach to making a big body GM convertible windshield was build a complete new frame. The MPC and Johan models have hardtop windshield frames that are incorrect for a convertible. First, I cut off the roof and the front windshield frame. I used the kit glass as the basic shape. After studying 1:1 photos, I decided the windshield frames were rounded on the top ends and have a shallow V at the top center.

Using Evergreen styrene, I built a frame around the kit glass gluing it to the glass. I then shaved and sanded the shape around frame edges.

I made a slot in the body so the A posts can slip into the body. My original '71 Impala (Green Vegetable) shows how the frame fits into the body.

Bob,

You are very close on that windshield frame. In my opinion, that hard "V" in the middle should be rounded, with no hard edge.

Here is a '72 Eldorado Convertible, which is the first one I did, back in the 90's.

72EldoradoConvertible.jpg

I am going to do something similar when I tackle this one.

2008_10262008vacation0343.jpg

with one of these

DSCF2825.jpg

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Ron, you are correct, the break in the shape line is hard to notice, particularly at the wrong angle. These windshields have a very complicated shape. I had no success rebuilding the kit hardtop windshield frame as you did. The frame has so many compound curves that I built it in two pieces. I would have liked a smoother V in the center, but that is how it turned out

I first noticed this weird windshield angle while watching Twin Peaks. Thanks for reminding me that I should model the car in this show.Twin Peaks is a great show, and the guy driving this blue Caprice convertible is the lunatic murderer. These are imdb.com photos

Here is another GM convertible windshield but it's a Pontiac. Some cruise night shot.

Dave, it came out of Illinois in a lot of models and a promo on Ebay. So, maybe it came from you.

I had to re-work the body where the windshield broke and in the back. It was missing parts too so I got another kit.

The convertible roof may be a '65 Impala as you say. It's got the correct slant that the '69 Galaxie and Marquis convertibles had.

• 3 weeks later...