#1 angelo7

angelo7

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Full Name:Angel Santos

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

I like to work on truck model kits (big rigs from the 70s and 80s) but when it comes to put the license plates decals, I don't know exactly where to put them (front, back of truck, back of cab??) or how many to use.  These kits come with several of these decals, in different colors, different States, etc.  What is the correct way to use them in the real world?  I've seen trucks with several different plates in the front bumper.  And I've seen others with nothing in the back of the truck. 

Edited by angelo7, 12 July 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#2 Superpeterbilt

Superpeterbilt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Hymel

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

Hang them on the front bumper, or mount an extension from the bottom of the bumper. They can also be mounted at the rear of the frame. Multiple plates means the truck is registered to haul in multiple states. It seems that Ive also seen plates mounted below the sleeper.

#3 Bowtienutz

Bowtienutz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Full Name:Vinnie
    I'm trying to be good
    0 warning points whatever that means.

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

From what I remember Pa law said truck (tractor and trailer and trailer registered in Pa must display license plate on rear). Out of state plates & Tax Stamp plates must be on front bumper. (Those are the small license plates that have small stickers attached, some states would endorse the truck that way).

Another way to endorse other than registering the truck was with tax the fuel that stamp that was placed on the side of truck. 

#4 angelo7

angelo7

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Full Name:Angel Santos

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

So every state may have different regulations.  Then I think anywhere I put them stickers will be correct.  I also wondered about those stickers on the sides.  I did not know they were fuel taxes.  Can those fuel tax stickers go on the windshield also?   Thank you guys!!

Edited by angelo7, 13 July 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#5 Petetrucker07

Petetrucker07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Full Name:Clayton Scheiber

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:12 AM

Today the IFTA (interstate fuel tax assc.), those must be on the sides of the truck, with unobstructed view. The DOT inspection sticker goes on the bottom right hand part of the windshield. Most states require the truck license plate be displayed on the front bumper as vision is obstructed by the trailer to clear glance at while passing through the scale or port of entry. As far special special permit, registration and other types of stickers have different places they should placed.
Like i said thats for todays trucks. I cant tell you about the 70s and 80s. Best advice i can give is to search the internet for pics from those times and go from there.

#6 Aaronw

Aaronw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

With all the old trucking books out there, I'm kind of surprised that nobody has done one on regulations showing the various commercial inspection, registration and tax markings used over the years. Seems like it would fit in well with the many photo collection books focused on trucks and trucking companies.