Moebius New trucks......KW, Peterbilt.....others? New trailer?

• You cannot reply to this topic
146 replies to this topic

#141 Force

Force

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Full Name:Håkan Persson

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

Weird how we're all putting our faith in Moebius and almost not asking anything from other makers... I think Revell is still a contender for new equipment and should have a serious look at a truck design of their own, I'm hoping they're not just asking around for suggestions... They could have been testing the waters with the reboxed Moebius kits.

So anyhow, any kit producer could try something like this, AMT did various truck wheel models it in the 60's and 70's. The Astro and Titan had 5 spoke wheels all around, the Autocar dump truck had front flotations with 6 spokes, the Autocar tractor had 5 hole aluminum front discs, both firetrucks and the Peerless logging trailer had nice 5 hole steel budds the White brothers had 5 spokes in the back and the D-R had 5 spokes all around too. Come to think of it, Ertl did the same except it was even easier to switch the wheels from one truck to another since the wheel back parts were separate from the "face".

At the time, AMT and Ertl had many kits out, that must have helped a bit to spread the wheel designs and they did have a nice assortment of rims and tires. It sure was fun to switch the rims from one kit to another and end up with something looking different from the box art.

So you never know, maybe the folks at Moebius have something up their sleeve. It would be nice to have those 2 hole wheels with accurate hubs, make them separate parts on their own trees so it's a mix and match for truck and trailer applications. And correct drive tires would be nice too... If we ask nicely.  Get the next truck and trailer kits on those and sell the new wheels separately like the other rims just as it was suggested before. I know a Lonestar would look pretty cool with 5 hole steelies... Even if the big ones don't get them!

Another thing that I would like to see, a truck kit no chrome at all except for light buckets. If I want shiny bits' I'll paint them with Alclad chrome or aluminum. Nothing I hate more than have a nice chrome fuel tank just to sand down the seems and then paint it up with aluminum paint again.

I personally don't care who does the subjects I wish for, as long as we get them I'm happy.

So if it's Moebius, Round 2, Revell or anyone else doesn't matter to me as long as the kits and parts they do are done correct.

Regarding chrome plated parts.

It's a lot easier and of course cheaper to remove unwanted chrome plating than to have parts you want plated done...all builders around the World doesn't have a vacuum plating service for modelers available to them as you do in the US...companies like Chrome Tech and others...we don't have anything like that over here so we have to rely on the kit manufacturers to plate the parts for us.

Yes you can use Alclad Chrome or something similar, but the finish doesn't get as shiny as the plated kit parts does and I prefer plated parts over non plated parts as I can do as I please with them, dull them down, remove the plating and use paint instead or whatever, if the parts are unplated I do not have much choice do I. 

Edited by Force, 31 August 2014 - 01:03 AM.

#142 Aaronw

Aaronw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

Weird how we're all putting our faith in Moebius and almost not asking anything from other makers... I think Revell is still a contender for new equipment and should have a serious look at a truck design of their own, I'm hoping they're not just asking around for suggestions... They could have been testing the waters with the reboxed Moebius kits.

Well this is a thread specifically started about future Moebius trucks, by Dave who works for Moebius. If Tom Lowe started a thread about the future of truck kits at Round 2 / AMT I would expect to see discussion revolving around their past, present and future kits. Basically I wouldn't read too much into the lack of discussion about the other brands, they are sort of off topic.

Edited by Aaronw, 31 August 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#143 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

You are right Aaron and the subject really is for Moebius. But my point is, there is no request to the other manufacturers out there. Thre might be some hope from Revell (ROG). But not much else. The others just re-edit the older kits which is ok, but I'd like some more newer subjects. So I guess our best bet for now really is Moebius...

Hakan, I wouldn't get the shiny parts chromed by an outside firm, I'd paint them with Alcald II. It's a waste of time having to remove the chrome of parts before repainting with chrome again once they are trimmed and sanded down smooth.

#144 Force

Force

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Full Name:Håkan Persson

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

I understand your point of view, yes it might be a waste of time removing unwanted plating but if no parts were plated the choices are very limited if you would have liked them plated...especially when you don't have a vacuum plating service for modelers at hand wich we don't have over here.

So therefore I prefer to have plated parts in model kits even though I might remove the plating...at least I have the choice to do as I please.

Edited by Force, 01 September 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#145 Petetrucker07

Petetrucker07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • Full Name:Clayton Scheiber

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

Chrome it, chrome it, chrome it. It only takes a day to strip chrome, and at a cost of what 5 to 10 bucks for whatever product you prefer for stripping. I say chrome it, it easier and cheaper that way for the builder.

#146 Aaronw

Aaronw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

You are right Aaron and the subject really is for Moebius. But my point is, there is no request to the other manufacturers out there. Thre might be some hope from Revell (ROG). But not much else. The others just re-edit the older kits which is ok, but I'd like some more newer subjects. So I guess our best bet for now really is Moebius...

Hakan, I wouldn't get the shiny parts chromed by an outside firm, I'd paint them with Alcald II. It's a waste of time having to remove the chrome of parts before repainting with chrome again once they are trimmed and sanded down smooth.

I've got plenty of ideas for tweaking existing kits from the other manufacturers, I just didn't think this was the place to bring it up. :)

#147 explorer2770

explorer2770

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon VanNess, Ph.D.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

What about the International CXT?  The real truck didn't last long in production, guzzled gas at about 8-10 mpg, it is essentially a 7300 crew-cab with 4x4, Allison 2500HD automatic transmission, Meritor MTC 4208 two-speed transfer case, and 8 ft Ford super duty drw bed, but man isn't it a cool looking truck.  It could provide a wealth of options for many builders out there, including as a starting point for any TranStar builders.  I know that I'd take the pickup bed off, add a Type IV body, and have myself a nice set of wildland fire trucks with this kit.  It couldn't be any worse than the Cadillac Escalade kits, right?