Hi Guys, well after completing the New Revell Cuda Kit, I took a day or two to go through my stache and desided I may try to work on Revell's original mini cooper kit. It's been really hot and humid out here in northern Michigan the past few days so the start on this is gonna be drawn out and slow. My plan for this kit is to see where I can take it as far as detailing goes.
I want to maybe open the doors and trunk area as well as detailing the engine and interior. But being as small as the kit is, it's gonna depend on how well my ole' eye site holds up and just how much the smaller detail needs to be. I havent decided on a color for it yet (got a long way to go before that needs to be decided), but I do know I will be going for more of a replica stock look and not the rally look. I know, I know, but its just my thing with replica stocks. Besides, the reason I choose this kit in the first place, (besides it being a christmas gift from the wife) is because owning a classic british sportscar (1976 MG-Midget), I belong to a local british sportscar club and a few of the guys in the club have these Mini coopers, which makes access to reference for it pretty easy.
First up, before I even attempt to start the body work, Im atempting to make working door hinges to replace the molded on ones that are on the body now. I have made one as a test to see if I can. And you can see it in the few starting pics below. Later as I make the others, I will post pics of the process on how Im making them and what Im using. I plan to make 4 more hinges so I have a extra one to test on some basic sheet plastic to see if they will be strong enough to hold up.
the basic material I am trying this experiment out with is, (and dont hold it against me for not remembering sizes cuz I tend to loose the packages that stuff come in):
A peice of evergreen round rod (not sure of the exact size), sanded and shaped and flattened on one side, with a emery board to match the molded on hinges. Once shaped it was cut at the door line into two peices
a strip cut off of a sheet of brass sheeting, (not sure of the thickness, buts its thin enough to bend with my tweezers) but it was split in two again once I had it the right with by comparing it to the molded on hinges
A really thin pice of piano wire to wrap the thin brass strips around
And finally Some Medium grade Extreme power CA glue to bond the shaped plastic rod to the brass strips that were bent around the piano wire.
Once all the hinges are made, the molded on hinges will be gently removed from the body leaving just a shadow of them, so I will have a guide mark on the body for the new working door hinges. Then the doors will be cut open and gaps taken care of,(as well as other work that will be need for the window frames), then reattached with the working hinges.
This is all depending on how the test hinge holds up when I try it out on scrap sheet plastic. (Thats why no plastic bodys will be harmed by exacto knifes, in the start of this project before then LOL)
Im gonna average a hinge a day to make sure I give the glue plenty of harding time. So bare with me on the slow thread updates. Once I have all the hinges made I will post more detailed pics of the hinge making pocess. That;s if they work strength wise. If the test fails and they turn out to not be stong enough, well Then the kit will be built without opening panels. But right now the test hinge so far seems to be strong enough.
A pic of the hinges in two peices
The hinge halves slid together
You can see here how the molded on hinges that will need to be removed look
And this is how the working hinge looks when sitting on the body to compare to the molded on hinges. The piano wire will be cut off at each hinge halfs pivot loop with the loop for the body side of the hinge being cemented and the door side will get a tiny peice of round evergreen tubeing to hold it on the piano wire.
More coming as I get further along with the hinge process.
Edited by microwheel, 22 September 2014 - 03:51 AM.