#41 DirtModeler

DirtModeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Full Name:Michael S. Crowley

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

I just wanted to pipe in that i think it's cool everyone pooling together against a rip caster.

I had a much different experience, which is why i've been silent on those who are copying my stuff.

On a facebook group, someone had posted photos of my work and where he'd gotten it.. and someone posted "that's awesome!, i'm going to make resin copies of it!"... and the thread continued.. not a single person piping up and calling them out on it.. (i didn't say anything because i wanted to see where the thread would go)

Low and behold a few weeks later, that same person loudly proclaiming they were going to copy my part.. has a freshly cast copy of it.. and now they are selling them.

the thing that bums me out? Is that people heap on the compliments on the poorly cast copy being used, and few even mention the original that the copy was made from.

It makes me wonder why i would ever want to invest that kind of time and money again to make something else that is just going to be copied and thrown aside?

I don't really feel like being the R&D division for rip casters.

It played a big part in me abandoning R&D for anything new in 1:24th that was castable.. and switching to full kits in 1:64 at a price point that even a rip caster would lose money on.

Edited by DirtModeler, 31 August 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#42 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

I just wanted to pipe in that i think it's cool everyone pooling together against a rip caster.

I had a much different experience, which is why i've been silent on those who are copying my stuff.

On a facebook group, someone had posted photos of my work and where he'd gotten it.. and someone posted "that's awesome!, i'm going to make resin copies of it!"... and the thread continued.. not a single person piping up and calling them out on it.. (i didn't say anything because i wanted to see where the thread would go)

Low and behold a few weeks later, that same person loudly proclaiming they were going to copy my part.. has a freshly cast copy of it.. and now they are selling them.

the thing that bums me out? Is that people heap on the compliments on the poorly cast copy being used, and few even mention the original that the copy was made from.

It makes me wonder why i would ever want to invest that kind of time and money again to make something else that is just going to be copied and thrown aside?

It played a big part in me abandoning R&D for anything new in 1:24th that was castable.. and switching to full kits in 1:64 at a price point that even a rip caster would lose money on.

its kind of the reason i have 1:18 where im at its a open market and little to no rip offs and where there is a rip off people will get called out on it.

#43 English Jules

English Jules

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Full Name:Julian Hales

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

bollocks man thats not good.  cant believe one didnt stand up for you the orig guy whos work it was.

Im planning on doing some masters for resin trash and household junk, and dumpsters, lots of measurements, work, rework, and more work to get them good enough to offer. i would be really angry if someone just did copies from my work and sold them

#44 sebivens

sebivens

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Bivens

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

Sorry to hear of this thief & hope Karma strikes them hard...thank you for letting me know who it was, I actually was considering purchasing another item from them but will take my business else where cause of this

#45 agmaciej

agmaciej

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Full Name:Al Maciejewski

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

Scott- I called Shep Shepperd out on his Whiskey Ridge Resin & decals FB page, and he came up with three different stories to how he came to have the Fairmonts- first, he stated he bought twenty (not fifty as he first claimed here) of the bodies from a caster in Australia but couldn't think of the guys name, the he stated he bought them from a caster in Georgia, then changed that story to he bought them (again, 20 of them) in a collection from 'somebody'. At that point, his FB partner-in-crime Mike Coleman, who co-owns the FB page, chimed in with a long diatribe about the fact "they" don't cast anything but only sell resin cast by others. What followed from the two of them was the standard "hey, anybody could have made the master, what have YOU cast," and then a few choice homophobic and body-orifice comments. At that point, MC booted me from his page, so I don't know what transpired afterward. I did receive quite a few pm's supporting my comments, including from two other resin casters whose products WR was selling as their own. 

FWIW, I don't think they will be around for long as comments on other FB and modeling sites seem to be 95% against their practices. They publicly acknowledge that they don't care where their stuff comes from, and plan to continue selling to "their 2000 customers" and to hell with everyone else. The idscussion carried over to the FB Scale Resin page, but ended up getting deleted.

Edited by agmaciej, 11 September 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#46 Gothicz House Of Kustomz

Gothicz House Of Kustomz

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Gasca

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

Wow, I do stock and kustom decal work, and am at the moment building a kustom '65 Impala for the slot car world, my MAIN, client is friends with said person, now I have already talked to a caster who is a friend, and has a biz, anyway, my main client, wants me to send the body to said person, after reading all this, which I'm glad I did, I'm now having second thoughts. wow, not trying to sarcastic, but thank you for this post, and I'm GLAD I took the time to read this, once again thank you.

#47 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

This discussion is similar to that I remember during my model railroading days. In that case,metal castings were copied. And lots of them too. Even were sold to other people producing kits that may have known they were pirated, or didn't care because the price was cheaper than the people that mastered the pattern.

The end of the story is that it represented enough money for one kit manufacturer to hire lawyers, sue for cease and decist, and monetary damages. It cost a lot of money and in the end it may not be worth it.

Edited by Bob Ellis, 12 September 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#48 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

How does one get to the FB Scale Resin page. I recently joined FB and really don't know my way around it(nothing new ;) ) ?

#49 fantacmet

fantacmet

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Full Name:Michael

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

I've seen Whiskey Ridge mentioned alot popularly in another magazine devoted to Scale Model Cars that shall go nameless, that I've had numerous issues with the editor so I don't go there anymore.  Though sometimes I will create a new account, post up, and then "let it slip" who I am and then he bans me again.  Totally flies off the handle it's funny.  Anyhow seems like WR is just about right for that market on there.

I have a question however.  Is this Fairmont body only?  Is the body itself stock?  I would love to make a basically Stock Fairmont, and oen as a street rod.  Mustang Chassis from Fox Body would be the same underneath so it'd be easy as pie.  If it's body only, the interior might be tough though. 

Edited by fantacmet, 12 September 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#50 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

Threads like this help get the word out; There will be no joy in ripping someone else's work off.

-MJS

#51 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

Michael,

To answer your question, the body that was copied is a drag race "pro stock" body with lengthened rear wheel wells, integral, narrowed bumpers, with a one-piece, extended hood/cowl panel like what was customary on that particular body style when they were raced.  To go on record, I am working on a stock body Fairmont that will have stock rear wheel wells, separate bumpers, stock length hood, separate cowl panel (and hopefully a PE cowl vent).  I have begun the process of lengthening the new Revell pan to match the 105.5" wheelbase and I've also started work on lengthening the chassis in the trunk area to match up to my body.  You are right, the new Mustang will be a perfect match for it.  I am also hoping to do interior side panels to match up to the body.  Here are some pics of where it's at at this moment...  There is still a fair amount of tweaking to do to make everything look the way I want it to, but I'm slowly making progress...

stockbodyfairmontpics091414005_zpsadf2c5

stockbodyfairmontpics091414006_zpsdf4bf6

stockbodyfairmontpics091414007_zpsae529c

stockbodyfairmontpics091414004_zpsa01c1a

stockbodyfairmontpics091414010_zpsc110f2

stockbodyfairmontpics091414009_zpsdc4332

Mike - I totally agree.  I don't understand why a handful of people were so quick to give Shep the benefit of the doubt, and/or implied that I should just accept the advice that this sort of thing happens, and there isn't anything I can do about it...  Why???  We have a Great Traders Thread pinned in the Trading Post category to let modelers know who to stay away from as trading partners or are good  - why shouldn't people be made aware of situations like this???  If someone buys one of the WR bodies and its quality isn't up to the high standards that Ed and I are doing our best to maintain, but then my name or my business gets associated with the lesser quality product, who stands to suffer for it?  I know I'm preaching to the choir with you, but I just want to put that out there for anyone who thinks this sort of behavior should be glossed over...  One thing I will agree with that was stated - there are lots more skilled modelers out there than me who are fully capable of making their own Fairmont (or whatever body style).  I am fully ready to accept that fact, as Ed said, even if it creates competition for me.  I'm okay with that.  All I ask is that they make it be their own creation and not a copy of mine...  I would also hope that they do their due diligence and spend at least a few minutes conducting research before proceeding.

#52 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,711 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

the counterfeiters are at it again...

Frank, please fill the details for those of us who don't know the story here.

#53 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,942 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

Frank, please fill the details for those of us who don't know the story here.

looks like it got deleted that can only tell you something about the story. 

*edit by Casey -- was likely the S-bomb in the screen capture...now edited and reposted below*

wrd.jpg