Model Cars Magazine Forum

American Lafrance ladder truck

Nicely done Ron. I've built a couple of these in years past (none came out a nice as yours did) I found the more difficult parts to be the ladder assembly

and the out-riggers. You've inspired me to finish the one I started about 15 years ago.

brinx

Nice work but a little care would make the ladder assembly work easier.

Here are some challenges that this kit presents

My original way back when

post-13341-0-52409300-1407325393_thumb.j

A dual axle 100 foot 4 section quad combining the pumper and ladder kits

post-13341-0-18282300-1407325503_thumb.j

and finally the Water Chief with Century cab

post-13341-0-30338700-1407325597_thumb.j

My departments 100' ladders

post-13341-0-85163200-1407326100_thumb.j

greg

what kit is the original pis of? im not really up on things like this, i know of the AMT/Matchbox one that it looks like to me (i have that kit). but i dont really have a clue.

they look good though, i want to make a model of a LA one, around the 70s as seen in CHiPs, Emergency and GOne in 60 seconds etc

The one you are thinking of from the TV shows was a Ward LaFrance not an American LaFrance. All the kits were based off the AMT kits, With the three kits you could build the complete line of ALF truck for that era,

The Ward cab is available as a casting

Here is a midship ladder from the kits

post-13341-0-97553200-1407333969_thumb.j

Ron, if you are interested in models of American apparatus may I suggest

http://scalefirehouse.com/sfh_brd/search.php?search_id=newposts&sid=863fc0b58fd375da80bb249909c1d0bc

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1

Thanks everybody for your comments .....and yes this one took quite a while to build ..... and yes the windshield shifted and I got glue on it ...... I'm just glad I got it done ...... my sledge hammer got pretty close to this a couple times ...... so I had to stop and build something else to just get away from it for a time... Greg those are some beautiful ladder trucks you built ..... I have the ALF pumper Eagle by trumpteer but that won't get started/done until a cold winter sets in.....LOL

The one you are thinking of from the TV shows was a Ward LaFrance not an American LaFrance. All the kits were based off the AMT kits, With the three kits you could build the complete line of ALF truck for that era,

The Ward cab is available as a casting

Here is a midship ladder from the kits

attachicon.gifP1000545.JPG

Ron, if you are interested in models of American apparatus may I suggest

http://scalefirehouse.com/sfh_brd/search.php?search_id=newposts&sid=863fc0b58fd375da80bb249909c1d0bc

greg

Greg, nice truck. Btw, who makes the Ward Cab? I hope you don't mind me asking. TIA

Mike