Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nascar 50th Anniversary (gold-plated)

The Creative Explorer

Ok,let me kick in this new forum off with a new topic.

I am going to use the Revell/Monogram 50th anniversary kit. Since this kit has the exterior already done, it doesn't need a lot of painting.

So I thought...............

First thing I did was painting the chassis and the roll-cage in a gold-colour. Not near the plated colour, but I didn't want to go with stock-gray either.

Photo's will be added soon.

Edited by Steef Hartither

If you'd like it all to match, do it like most of the gold plastic is done. Give it a good "chrome" finish with something like Alclad, then a coat of MRC clear yellow. Even the gold stick one mylar lettering is done that way. You can experiment with VERY small amounts of MRC "smoke" to darken it and maybe get a perfect match.

Here's the chrome Monogram wheels with a coat of the MRC clear yellow.

22np3.jpg

Thanks, but I am not going this way.

I am not feeling confident enough to get a nice result. So I am going to apply a metallic gold, which will be different enough to see it is done on purpose. It is the best I can do.

On a other note, I have a hard time to find pictures of a '98 or '99 Chevy Nascar Engine, where could I find good referencepictures, for wiring and plumbing.?

Guest roadkill2525
Thanks, but I am not going this way.

I am not feeling confident enough to get a nice result. So I am going to apply a metallic gold, which will be different enough to see it is done on purpose. It is the best I can do.

On a other note, I have a hard time to find pictures of a '98 or '99 Chevy Nascar Engine, where could I find good referencepictures, for wiring and plumbing.?

I'll check my old Racer, Cicle Track, etc. mags for any pics. The engine(i think the SB2) was the same from '89(Lumina) on up to the '07(Monte/CoT), the only difference would be how the teams set it up.

Luke, where did you find the MRC gold?? and is it a spray can or airbursh only??

that Miller Buick is actually my next build...

I don't remember what the number was but it was in the acrylic "X" colors they did in the early to mid ninties. If I remember right it was the first acrylics they came out with and they had a clear red, blue, yellow and maybe more in that line. It looks pretty dark in the bottle but makes a beatiful gold anodized color over chrome plating. I just brushed it on. If you can't find it a permenamt magic marker in yellow does a passable job over kit chrome.

Edited by LUKE'57

Guest roadkill2525

Couldn't find any engine pics, most of my mags are from about '90-'95. You might be able to find pics on Billy Kingsley(El Camino Billy) Fotki/Photbucket page.

Engines don't interest me-I've got nothing! (The majority of mine have the hoods taped shut and the engine bay open...Curbside!)

I'm glad to see someone is actually building this....They almost never get built. I do with Revell/Monogram had plated the nose piece though. It doesn't look right being white plastic (even with the gold decal they provide).

I bought one of them sometime back to build with my mom...be she never wanted to and it's still sealed. :D (I've got my own as well).

I doubt I will ever build it as is though, myself...I have enough actual racecars that I want to build! :D Maybe when I finish all 1800+ that I already have decals for I'll worry about fantasy cars :P