I thought I'd do this new post as I've got the hang of how to post now and to share my first completed build after my 40 year hobby hiatus. This car was a blank canvas and it kicked and fought me in many different ways. Not least because I was new to all of the options/materials/tools that we have today but I didn't when I was a kid.
The car was to be kind of old school but with a "modern" twist. I wanted to stuff the widest rears ( I grew up in the late 60's /. early 70's) but not tub the car. The only way to be legal back then was to put flared fenders / extensions on that covered most of the tire. So I grafted Shelby Cobra fenders on it and re-worked them substantially. I opened the trunk and did the mandatory nostril scoop. (they have pounded brass frames with glued screen to fill em') The rear quarter window panels were drilled out and a zillion teensy rivets installed. The R model front bumper and rear glass were installed and I made scratch aluminum brackets to hold it in place. The front grill surround and topside radiator supprt are scratch aluminum. The door handles are kitbash, drilled out and pinned to the door. The engine is a modified 427FE with modern EFI. A lot of scratch work went into the motor. It was originally a Gibson motor. I added a scratch remote oil filter and alum. oil radiator. The water radiator is fabbed of alum. The shorty headers were fabbed from brass and took several weeks to do. The bellcrank/throttle linkage is complete I assure you even though you can't see it for the rectangular plenum plates I made. All fuel, oil, water, radiator, brake and heater lines were added/installed and the firing order is correct. The engine has a standar 4 speed and the shift linkage is installed as well. The shifter is scratch. The firewall and inner fender wells were fabbed out of alum. sheet. The chassis is old school with leaf springs and threaded collar adjustable coil overs in the rear. The front suspension from the kit was junked and a scratch built IFS was installed. Most of it is made of alum. and brass. The exhaust is alum. with the requisite cherry bombs and DM exhaust manifold flanges. Wheels have air valves and the brakes are drilled disc at all corners. The brake cylinder and pro-valve are scratch. The interior has scratchbuilt dash pieces and seat frames. The rear seat was cut out and an alum. package shelf fabbed as were the alum. door side panels. The roll cage is alum. and the belts were made of red/black material that was painstakingly (I really mean that one) together to get the 2 tone effect. Theres a key fob too. There is a fabric headliner and the color is Testors Bright Yellow The car was painted 3 times till I got it right. After the first purple pond bath the body work was pretty much destroyed and I had to kinda start over again. This car was a struggle BUT it taught me so many lessons so that I can attempt to build almost anything with confidence and really enjoy the process of design and fabrication. I know why people love to scratchbuild now. It gets in your blood. Almost 2 years in the making and hundreds of hours of effort. I want to close by saying a special thanks to Donn Yost as I was struggling a year into this build and I had bought his paint DVD tutorial. When I was getting frustrated, he talked me off the ledge and gave me the best advice of all....start other projects and have others going when you start feeling burned out on a build. Then come back to it and you can see the forest for the trees again. I wanted to share because he didn't have to but he did and I'm all the better as a builder for it.
Your feedback/comments and criticisms are welcome I assure you. Tim