Codi

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Hoagland

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd do this new post as I've got the hang of how to post now and to share my first completed build after my 40 year hobby hiatus. This car was a blank canvas and it kicked and fought me in many different ways. Not least because I was new to all of the options/materials/tools that we have today but I didn't when I was a kid.

The car was to be kind of old school but with a "modern" twist.  I wanted to stuff the widest rears ( I grew up in the late 60's /. early 70's) but not tub the car. The only way to be legal back then was to put flared fenders / extensions on that covered most of the tire. So I grafted Shelby Cobra fenders on it and re-worked them substantially. I opened the trunk and did the mandatory nostril scoop. (they have pounded brass frames with glued screen to fill em') The rear quarter window panels were drilled out and a zillion teensy rivets installed. The R model front bumper and rear glass were installed and I made scratch aluminum brackets to hold it in place. The front grill surround and topside radiator supprt are scratch aluminum. The door handles are kitbash, drilled out and pinned to the door. The engine is a modified 427FE with modern EFI. A lot of scratch work went into the motor. It was originally a Gibson motor. I added a scratch remote oil filter and alum. oil radiator. The water radiator is fabbed of alum.  The shorty headers were fabbed from brass and took several weeks to do. The bellcrank/throttle linkage is complete I assure you even though you can't see it for the rectangular plenum plates I made. All fuel, oil, water, radiator, brake and heater lines were added/installed and the firing order is correct. The engine has a standar 4 speed and the shift linkage is installed as well. The shifter is scratch. The firewall and inner fender wells were fabbed out of alum. sheet. The chassis is old school with leaf springs and threaded collar adjustable coil overs in the rear. The front suspension from the kit was junked and a scratch built IFS was installed. Most of it is made of alum. and brass. The exhaust is alum. with the requisite cherry bombs and DM exhaust manifold flanges.  Wheels have air valves and the brakes are drilled disc at all corners. The brake cylinder and pro-valve are scratch. The interior has scratchbuilt dash pieces and seat frames. The rear seat was cut out and an alum. package shelf fabbed as were the alum. door side panels. The roll cage is alum. and the belts were made of red/black material that was painstakingly (I really mean that one) together to get the 2 tone effect. Theres a key fob too. There is a fabric headliner and the color is Testors Bright Yellow  The car was painted 3 times till I got it right. After the first purple pond bath the body work was pretty much destroyed and I had to kinda start over again. This car was a struggle BUT it taught me so many lessons so that I can attempt to build almost anything with confidence and really enjoy the process of design and fabrication.  I know why people love to scratchbuild now. It gets in your blood. Almost 2 years in the making and hundreds of hours of effort.  I want to close by saying a special thanks to Donn Yost as I was struggling a year into this build and I had bought his paint DVD tutorial. When I was getting frustrated, he talked me off the ledge and gave me the best advice of all....start other projects and have others going when you start feeling burned out on a build. Then come back to it and you can see the forest for the trees again. I wanted to share because he didn't have to but he did and I'm all the better as a builder for it. 

Your feedback/comments and criticisms are welcome I assure you.  Tim

MUSTANGFINALPICS058-vi.jpg

MUSTANGFINALPICS006-vi.jpg

MUSTANGFINALPICS020-vi.jpg

MUSTANGFINALPICS069-vi.jpg

MUSTANGFINALPICS077-vi.jpg

MUSTANGFINALPICS083-vi.jpg

MustangAssembly122711028-vi.jpg

ustangShifterExhaustInstall003-vi.jpg

#2 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

This is a sharp Mustang. i like the color and the engine detail . . 

#3 Maxicoop

Maxicoop

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Cooper

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

WOW !!! what detail !!!!! looks like you could start that 427 up and it would rattle the windows  ............ it just looks totally wicked !!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome build !!!!!!

#4 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Just when I thought my detailing skills were improving, you go and show this...it's back to schools for me, Darn!!!

#5 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Well , you promised me that it was going to be something special , you certainly didn't disappoint in that department ! Love every bit of it ! You have done yourself proud on this one !

The Old Man

#6 S. Svendsen

S. Svendsen

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Full Name:Sean Svendsen

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

Wow. That is a mountain of detail. Nice work.

#7 MikeBoyle

MikeBoyle

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Boyle

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Another beautiful build.

#8 Jaguar man 21

Jaguar man 21

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremy Krnzel

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

Great job, the engine bay is in incredable

#9 Helix

Helix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Hincks

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Amazing work Tim B) 

#10 Shelby 427 1965

Shelby 427 1965

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Full Name:Tomo Pattison

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

I don't even have words for this. Amazing.

Edited by Shelby 427 1965, 18 August 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#11 Belugawrx

Belugawrx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Coy

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

Wow Tim!!

An absolutely beautiful build

Congratulations on the long term effort

Looks Great

Cheers

#12 o-man

o-man

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • Full Name:Oscar White

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

WOW !!! what detail !!!!! looks like you could start that 427 up and it would rattle the windows  ............ it just looks totally wicked !!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome build !!!!!!

X2!!!!

#13 Codi

Codi

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Hoagland

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for the very generous comments. And I want to say "hi" especially to Donn as it's always great to hear from the "old man" himself. I've posted my FOTKI link below on this car....there are 300 pics of it's bits and pieces during construction...take a peek and let me know what you think or if I can answer any questions. Most sincerely, Tim

http://public.fotki....stang-fastback/

#14 jweik

jweik

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff W.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Wow. that is very impressive my friend

#15 1 bad55 stan

1 bad55 stan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • Full Name:stan ponting

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

That just blows me away!Totally Cool!!!!

#16 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,503 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

So impressive and beautiful..

#17 Quick GMC

Quick GMC

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Full Name:Cameron DeMille

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

There are a lot of good builders on these forums who present a lot of really high quality work. I am always impressed by the level of detail and cleanliness, but only a few times have I just stared in amazement wondering how these things could have possibly been done. This is a very impressive build. Not only the amount of detail, but how precisely and cleanly it was done. I didn't like the stance at first, but it's growing on me. i love the fender flares. Very well done.

#18 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

excellent work on your "comeback" build.

I have another tip for you if you plan on using that style of fan again, the line etched in the fan blades is the point which the blade should be bent backwards to form a propeller like blade. A google search for automotive flex fans should give you an idea what they should look like.

the current configuration would not pull any air through the radiator while the car is sitting still.

#19 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,807 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Unfreakinbelieveable!!!!

#20 DynoMight

DynoMight

MCM Ohana