#41 Codi

Codi

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Hoagland

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

A sincere thank you to each of you following the thread and I welcome the opportunity to answer your questions. 

For Michael,  When doing a given suspension I fab and or gather those major pieces that I want to do include on the build. Especially the engine, rearend and wheels and tires. Then depending on what "flavor" of suspension I want to build I start laying it out very simply on a piece of plastic.  You can see from my 33' Willys post on FOTKI that they're is a lot of notes written in detail on the plastic itself (look closely and you'll see a lot of those notes scribbled or crossed out too)   :)  Based upon those major components going in....I then lay out wheelbase and most importantly the stance I want to achieve.  Everything is then derived from those simple dimensions layed out on the plastic base. You'll see on the site how I do simple front and rear axle posts/supports to keep the ride height locked in.  Dave (COMP1839) does it to perfection with his angled milling plates but I'm not at his level.  Check out his photobucket site for his method too.  Mine is very basic but it works for me so far.  Wheelbase is established left to right and length obviously on a car. Each car I build is different.  But don't get hung up on a jig etc.  It's not as daunting as it would appear. I DO however keep my tolerances as tight as possible and check them constantly throughout the build. 1/64" is what I strive for.  Granted, when it comes to final assembly, it will can be challenging cause things simply "move around" during the building process itself.  Did I answer your question(s)?   If not, I'll be happy to try to clarify.  My biggest advice is just delve in and enjoy the process. After you get 1 or 2 under your belt, it's actually easy & FUN!   Tim

#42 Daniel Lynch

Daniel Lynch

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

Impressive built!  B)  B)  B)  B)

#43 PowerPlant

PowerPlant

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Full Name:Matija Vasić

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

Lots has been said already... All I can say is, I'm in awe!

That's one wicked mustang ;)

#44 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,880 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

Obviously the amount of work put into this model, the craftsmanship, the attention to detail, the scratchbuilding skill, etc. is first rate. Very clean, almost surgically precise... that's not easy to do, especially at this scale. So I agree with all the superlatives, but...

if there's one thing that sort of stands out to me, it's the fact that in real life this car wouldn't be driveable, at least not on real roads with real cracks and real potholes, because there is just about no room for the rear wheels/tires to move up and down. They would be constantly hitting the wheel openings, and it would get pretty annoying for the driver to be constantly scraping the rear tires on the bodywork.

Slightly narrower rear tires, that were completely tucked in behind the fender flares, would have been a better way to go.

I know, it's only a model, it doesn't have to "work." But making a model plausible in the "real world" is a goal I strive for, so those wheels just sort of jumped out at me right away.

#45 Codi

Codi

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:59 PM

Hi Harry, your point is correct and I agree with it. When I did the stance on this car it had a 2 to 3" scale gap between the top of the tire and it was maintained throughout the build. During final mock-up & assembly, that gap shrank to 1" (trust me,there is a gap all the round on both sides but I acknowledge it is snug). After a bunch of fiddlin' with it, I accepted that it was going to be as you see it and finished the build. I didn't want to bother with adjusting the fenders or swapping out wheels/tires either.

I DO however remember as a kid riding in hot-rodded muscle cars that my friends somehow had the pleasure to "own" (drive to and from school) and half the guys stuffed big tires in to the point that they rubbed every time you even hit a hump in the road or small pothole. But it didn't matter because we were "cool".   :)

Cheers to all,

Tim

#46 geetee66

geetee66

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:34 AM

Wow, Tim!

You have got some real skill there, buddy!

This is such an impressive build. It has so much realism. Worth all the sweat and cussing...!

I wish my builds were even half as good as this.

Truly awesome.

#47 Mike 1017

Mike 1017

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Full Name:Michael A Permanian

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:49 AM

Amazing detail .A true work of art.

#48 playzwtrux

playzwtrux

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Full Name:James N Smith

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Really nice build. thanks for sharing and inspiring

#49 LokisTyro

LokisTyro

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

That's one exceptional build. I'm thinking of writing a love song about it.  :wub:

#50 Codi

Codi

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

Thanks fellas for your comments.  I'm back to the bench now and I'll have something to share again in the near future. 

Cheers,

Tim

#51 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

If model cars can ever be called art then this is a prime example. Absolutely world class - and then some!

#52 hjracing

hjracing

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Full Name:Josť Antonio HernŠndez Medina

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Really awesome!

#53 Belugawrx

Belugawrx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Coy

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

, because there is just about no room for the rear wheels/tires to move up and down. They would be constantly hitting the wheel openings, and it would get pretty annoying for the driver to be constantly scraping the rear tires on the bodywork.

\Only on saturdays and sundays Harry..

And on flat tracks

Cmon ...you think this a daily driver?

I love it 

Cheers

#54 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram