#1 Russell C

Russell C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Russell Cook

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

One more in the lineup of my 2 decade-old models. If I remember right, this AMT kit was a door prize which I was wondering what to do with. Since I'd had the flame image of the 1:1 prototype for a Pacer pickup rattling around in my mind at the same time as a Ferrari with sidepipes, that's what brought this about. I worked occasionally on it from '92 to March '94. It was pictured in the GSL coverage of SAE's '94 contest annual, and also again in that same magazine on page 42 for the Springerville AZ contest. Where'd 20 years go?

34ot24z.jpg

333iquq.jpg

Whacked the roof, but not much else custom beyond the Fujimi wheels and Pirelli P-Zero tires. My dad lathe-turned the outer rims from aluminum. I was living in NM at the time, but I figured an Arizona plate would do good on this one - hot car for a hot place.

169eooh.jpg

fbcpvm.jpg

The main color is some kind of nail polish medium tone yellow, and the flames are a really nice nail polish pearl orange, airbrushed light at the front and heavier/darker at the ends, where I masked off the yellow with Bare Metal foil to eliminate paint bleed under the masks. The inner curves and flame ends are hand-painted black lines. The trick to getting a decal-flat finish was via the clear coat. What I did was lay on a ton of PPG Deltron clear, which simply built up the stair-step effect of the flames on top the yellow, but when the clear cured, I had so much of it over the flames that I could chisel that excess down to the level where it met the built-up clear between the flames. Deltron is really cartable, actually, sorta like chiseling up clear wax, and it polishes really nicely. But I no longer have auto body shop contacts who could supply me with small quantities of that stuff.

34gko61.jpg

To get the gauges to pop out of that otherwise dark hood, I put in model aircraft ones that looked like the Lambo's gauges, which were black reverse-printed on clear sheet (similar to these). With these, it makes you look like a super modeler when all you are doing is dropping a blob of yellow for the needles on the back and blobs of white for the numbers. What everyone sees are perfect needles and numbers through completely flat "glass".

2jb7db7.jpg

As Richard Petty would say, I'd rather be lucky than good, and it turned out that my gamble on making the flames look flat against the background worked out well, as did the fading on the orange. I'm not actually all that good at airbrushing, but I get a kick out of the way that turned out to this day.

#2 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Very nice Lamborghini. Great job on the paint. I like it!

Scott

#3 bobthehobbyguy

bobthehobbyguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Taber

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

Very nice. It would drive the purists crazy though.

#4 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

Good color, too many wheels!

#5 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,305 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Great looking model. I really like it...

#6 Maxicoop

Maxicoop

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Cooper

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

what a great lookin' Lambo  great color and fabulous flames ............. super build !!!!!!!

#7 DynoMight

DynoMight

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Might

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

... different, but good. Very good.

#8 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:23 AM

Excellent model, Russell, that certainly withstood the tests of time!  It looks as good and as contemporary today as it did 20 years ago. 

Looks better topless, BTW.   B)

#9 Tonioseven

Tonioseven

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  • Full Name:Antonio Holmes

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

I dig that. B)

#10 Sixx

Sixx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Full Name:Derrick Six

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:18 AM

I remember seeing that in the mag! Awesome build !

#11 TheCat

TheCat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts
  • Full Name:Felix Plaza

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:22 AM

very nice :)

#12 Russell C

Russell C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Russell Cook

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Thanks, guys.

Good color, too many wheels!

Evil Andy taunts me with my running gag yellow three-wheelers for the GSL contest "Group" category. One of these days I'll have to do a thread on the whole line-up. Hollywood Jim got most of them in that 'photo essay' of his, but there were more.