Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Color Is Best For A '57 Chevy?

For me the Chevy is the dullest offering of the low priced three for 1957 and I always wondered why it enjoys such a populatity plus over the Failane 500 and most of all the Plymouth.

I hence cannot bring myself towards building a 57 Chevy stock. The plan is to build my Revellogram 1/12 as a mild custom with all chrome intact, but fancy wheels, a slight rake and a fancy paintjob, possibly two tone.

Please, no wild stuff like fadeaways or flames - I was thinking a dark rich brandywine metallic for the body and white pearl for the roof. What color - or color combination at that - do you think would make it a real standout?

Edited by Junkman

That copper color was called Sierra Gold.It was also used on '66- 67 Chevelle's under a different color code, but same formula. I mixed a lot of that color back then.

It is a nice colour. Especially when it is complemented with that cream seen on the pic of the Chevy wagon. I'm tempted to use this combination on my 1/25th scale 57 Chevy. On the 1/12th I would like to go with something custom. I do like the cherry red one very much, but this will be hard to do in 1/12 if you are not equipped with a fairly large sized airbrush.

Getting the candy-red paintjob is actually quite simple.

I used spraycans for automotive. First the normal primer, than I used aluminium mettalic as base-coat.

Than I used a can from MoTip/Duplicolour which is used to paint rear-light clusters red ( or black ).

I used 20 coats of red to achieve this result, the best thing is that you don't have to clear-coat it, since it is a clearcoat with a bit of colour in it.