Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Hurst Hemi Under Glass

mrmike

This kit has been in the stash for some time now and I wanted something different to build. The kit box art shows a '69 Barracuda but the kit actually contains a '65 Barracuda body.

HUG01.jpg

The body is in process of being cleaned up and I have assembled the base engine assembly. The intake manifold is from the Lindberg Little Red Wagon.

HUG02.jpg

My paints will be Testors One Coat Lacquer Inca Gold, Alclad II Gloss Black and Alclad II Chrome paint for the chrome parts I had replaced to build my MCW Resin '66 Barracuda.

HUG03.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

This will be interesting! You build really high quality models and I'm glad to see you building a Drag Car, too. This kit has been on my "Wish List" for a long time, but I believe you'll inspire me to finally buy it. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks guys!

A quiet Sunday morning, it's raining outside, the wife and the dogs are sleeping so I came down to the hobby room to do some painting by firing up the paintbooth. I painted the body with Testors One Coat Lacquer Inca Gold which is more yellow-gold than the actual gold paint on the HUG. I have seen many pictures of the HUG during my research and found several paint schemes in various colors. I've decided to throw license to the wind and use the Inca Gold. When that has dried, I'll mask the body and paint it with gloss black. The other parts have been painted with ColorPlace Flat Black.

HUG04.jpg

HUG05.jpg

HUG06.jpg

More to come...

Thanks Ron and Carl!

My Local Hobby Shop had their 30% off sale today and I picked up a bunch of paint for future projects and found a can of Testors Gold Metallic #1244. If the cap is any indication of the color inside the can, this color is closer to the gold on the HUG. I'll test it on a plastic spoon and see what the actual color is. Chassis, interior, and roll bar in mockup.

HUG07.jpg

The engine is partially assembled and installed in the subframe at this point.

HUG08.jpg

The completed interior.

HUG09.jpg

Distributor, plug wires, and velocity stacks installed.

HUG10.jpg

HUG11.jpg

Another mockup to check on the fit.

HUG12.jpg

More to come...

Thanks guys! This is a cool subject, but the kit itself is so-so with a low parts count.

The chassis is nearly complete. I am considering raising the front suspension for a more nose up attitude.
Hug13.jpg
I assembled the kit headers. I had to shorten one side about 1/8th of an inch to match the other side.
HUG14.jpg
I repainted the body with Testors 1244 Gold Metallic enamel. I was amazed at how fast it dried to the touch!
HUG15.jpg
After about an hour of measuring and masking, I painted the body with Model Master #2921 Classic Black.
HUG16.jpg
HUG17.jpg
After painting the resin bumpers with the Classic Black, I shot them with several coats of Alclad II Chrome paint.
HUG18.jpg
More to come...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Joe!

I got the body foiled today. There's more foil needed on here than I thought there would be!

HUG19.jpg

The grille has been detailed with The Detailer black wash.

HUG20.jpg

A mockup to see how it's looking!

HUG21.jpg

Decals are next along with touchups and clearcoat.

More to come...