7 replies to this topic

#1 Jefbo

Jefbo

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:24 AM

This is one of the more recent airbrush works I have done. Probably the toughest mural I have ever done. I was asked by my good friend Willie to portray his better half that had recently passed. I almost declined. I was to give her an angelic glow, soften the lines of her face almost give a child like look to her yet have it still look like her. I didn't think I pulled it off but Willie said it was perfect.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Willie who is also a painter did the graphics & base paint on the bike. The dogs were hers and his and also passed on.
Jefbo

#2 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,338 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

Did you do that while the tank was in place?

And did you do a lot of freehanding, or is everything done with frisket and masks?

#3 gbritnell

gbritnell

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

That's some outstanding work Jeff. What brand of brush and paints do you use? The last airbrush work I did on a bike was my buddy's Harley. Nothing fancy just his own idea for a tank logo. I use Createx Auto Air colors for that.
gbritnell

#4 JAFFA

JAFFA

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Full Name:Magnus Arpi

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

Oh gheez,, thats so sad, i could never see myself doing something this heavy, she dont even look very old....

Great work anyhow!

#5 Jefbo

Jefbo

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:38 PM

Did you do that while the tank was in place?

And did you do a lot of freehanding, or is everything done with frisket and masks?

Hi Harry, I had the tank only in my studio. I hate to think of painting a tank on the bike. :angry: I do mostly freehand work I find the stencil work to labor intensive and then I find myself airbrushing over the stenciled work to keep it from looking like a stencil was used.
I now do a lot of my composing in Photoshop. So with this tank, I printed out the various images, (faces, wings, dog heads) on printer paper. Cut out shapes to make a stencil, lay the paper in place and lightly dust a shade of paint on the tank just to lay the design out. The rest is all freehand.

Jefbo

#6 Jefbo

Jefbo

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

That's some outstanding work Jeff. What brand of brush and paints do you use?

Thanks, gbritnell. I use a Badger XF 150 that I have been using for over 35 years. I have about six Badger 150's and one Paasche VL1 also about 30 years old. I keep the VL1 around because it will always work every time if I need to paint. The badgers are a much more precise air brush but very delicate. A breeze can bend the needle :angry:

For this and most automotive murals I use House of Kolor.

Jefbo

Edited by Jefbo, 01 February 2008 - 06:56 AM.

#7 Jefbo

Jefbo

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:06 PM

Oh gheez,, thats so sad, i could never see myself doing something this heavy, she dont even look very old....

Yeah, I couldn't see myself doing it either. I stressed big time. But it was for my good friend. She was not old at all, I believe in her 30's. We talked about how she would look as an angel; you know every thing being perfect and all. I think most women might see themselves as younger, no wrinkles, etc. This makes her look younger in this painting. Very challenging but Willie loves it.
Jefbo

#8 roncomatic

roncomatic

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

Hi Jeff,

Great looking work!

It's really rough to take on a job like that one. The personal pressure (the pressure you put on yourself) must have been terrible.

--ron