Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another 1980 Datsun 720

Enjoyed building the Desert Rat so much I just had to build another one. This one is going to be a stock 4x4 version. I've carved the stock front bumper from the kit piece, stripped all the incorrect chrome, deepened the proper panel lines and added the missing ones, and started correcting the chassis a bit.

DSC_5031.JPG

DSC_5032.JPG

DSC_5033.JPG

I also added a step bumper, which was a factory option.

DSC_5034.JPG

I still need to fill in the holes for the mirrors. I may end up using the kit's mirrors, but they need to be mounted farther forward on the doors.

DSC_5035.JPG

I'm going to cheat a bit on the chassis and attach the spare tire directly to the underside of the bed. This way it won't hang so low like on the Desert Rat. I've also cut out a section of the molded-in exhaust and a crossmember that hang way too low.

DSC_5036.JPG

I also reworked the lower control arm/torsion bar piece to bring it up closer to the front axle and frame.

DSC_5037.JPG

Thanks for looking. Comments encouraged. B)

While it may not appear like much work at first, I've done a significant amount of filling and sanding. I have filled in the holes for the mirrors...

DSC_5049.JPG

DSC_5050.JPG

...mounting holes for the light bar and the seams between the header panel and bedsides...

DSC_5052.JPG

...around the rear window as well as covered the seat backs...

DSC_5053.JPG

...closed in the gaping hole in the firewall...

DSC_5054.JPG

...and filled in the mounting holes on the rear panel beside the tail lights.

DSC_5051.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so, I've been having some paint issues on the body but I've gotten it stripped and going to paint again. I decided to paint this truck white, which is actually a difficult colour to paint. Anyway, I'm having some trouble deciding if I should go with the white raised letters or leave them black. Thoughts?

DSC_5055.JPG

DSC_5056.JPG

• 1 month later...

I finally finished this one up. I started a new job right after the last update and haven't had much spare time as a result. Plus, I was starting to get bogged down with trying to replicate the added detail I put on the Desert Rat so I took a step back and finished it up as is. I may go back and fiddle with it later on, but it is done for now.

DSC_5133.JPG

Under Glass thread here.

Tanks for looking. B)