I had only just found out that a co-worker of mine owned this vehicle, and some of the history behind it, when Modelhaus a short time later released their kit of the same car. The mileage you see is original, 00095. To make a long story short, this car was driven on the street exactly once, the day it was purchased. It's been garaged it's entire life, and even though I haven't gotten around to snagging the kit yet, I fully intend to.
I did manage to get my friend to let me photograph it, last spring. A car this original, as in totally original, is for certain an excellent source of reference for someone restoring one, or for builders. Here's a link to the Photobucket album.
I decided to do another Galaxie, and since I wanted to do a ' 65 to replicate the car of a fella I used to work with, I figured there's no time like the present. His car was not an XL, but it was gold with a black vinyl roof. So even though I'm doing this box stock, I'm going to use the same color scheme. Here's the body with the paint and clear on it, as well as the vinyl roof, added today.
Put together the last of the bits about an hour ago. Can you see what they forgot to mold on the convertible front bumper? Ha, I didn't even realize it until I went to screw the whole thing together. Ah well, I'm leaving the bumper on. We'll just pretend cars don't always have those lights. And look, I didn't even leave the mirror police anything to do. Thanks to everyone who read and commented in the w.i.p. thread. Oh, and sorry 'bout there being only one trash can. It's garbage day, and blackie's at the curb!
Now that I've finished (luv that word!) my ' 70 Rebel, this will be next. Got this painted and cleared last week, and depending on what source you look at the Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue might be fairly close to Ford's Aquamarine of that year. The chassis has all that nifty promo style engraving about the car's features, and just like the ' 62 Galaxie I did last year, I'm going to leave it right there. I'll do the frame rails with semi-gloss black. The chrome is a lot fresher in the ' 61 hardtop re-issue that I'll be robbing some parts from, but I might just go ahead and strip the kit bumpers, clean up the seams and re-do them with Alclad. I foiled the script on the trunk, prior to laying the paint on, then cleaned it off with some thinner.