Jump to content


Member Since 24 Apr 2013
Offline Last Active Jun 01 2014 01:30 AM

Topics I've Started

Believable biscut style rubber motor mounts

17 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Tried this on my 1:8 deuce build & happy with the way it looks.

couple of o-rings of appropriate outside diameter with a washer sandwiched between to simulate the metal core..





Simulating the texture of cast parts.

12 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

The casting texture can be seen on the back of the engine while the bellhousing is smooth.

Any tips for adding a realistic casting texture to the bellhousing so it will visually match the engine?





Gasket materials for visual contrast on engines, etc?

10 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

I'm considering my approach on the flathead engine out of my 1:8 deuce kit.

The engine will be blacked out & I'll use brass sheet for head gaskets, but curious what you guys are using for realistic looking gasket material on front covers, water pumps, intakes & oil pans?

1:8 scratch deuce

24 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'd like to say that I'm really glad to be here, in the company of some very talented & skilled modelers.


Also somewhat intimidated by that talent, as this my first model build since I was in my early teens.


I spent 30 yrs, before retiring, in auto metal shops & in my own home shop, repairing & fabbing panels & a couple of frames as well.

With that behind me, I want to scratch build this project in metal, since it's a material that I have experience with.


Never had a 32 & always thought they are one of the best designs ever developed, so a deuce is a logical choice for this project.


Since aluminum is plentiful & scraps of it are everywhere to be had for cheap or free vs brass being less common & somewhat pricy to buy, I'm researching methods & products for soldering/joining, to see if I can effectively take advantage of aluminums easy availability.


My plans are drawn in 1:8 from dimensions gained from Wescotts web site.

I then overlayed the drawing with tracing paper & drew it again.



I took a piece of 1.5" x .062 aluminum angle that was laying around & cut it down the spine to make two flat pieces to work with.

After stacking 2 pieces of the appropriate length for the side rails & 4 for the top & bottom edges, I laid out my tracing paper drawings on the stacks, held with double sided tape & drilled & pinned, with 1/16 brass rod, to a 1/4" piece of pine to hold the stack securely for cutting & shaping.


My first post

24 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

Just completed my registration here & want to say hello.

Since my interest is big scale, thought I'd make my introduction on the big boyz page.


I built model cars when I was a kid, up to the time I got my drivers license & then moved on to 1:1 for the next 40 yrs or so.

Since retiring, my budget will no longer accomodate that, so am switching back to models to satisfy my need to build.


I have a project that is in the early stages & will be starting a thread to show it off for critique & suggestions on better ways to do things.


best to all