Jump to content


Speedfreak

Member Since 16 Sep 2013
Offline Last Active Yesterday, 08:29 AM
-----

Topics I've Started

Hole filling medium for wheel/axle mounting

23 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

Hi everyone, Here's a picture of some wheels that I want to mount to the axle shown, the hole in the wheel is too big. What's the best way to securely mount the wheel to this axle? I have thought about using Tamiya liquid cement mixed with styrene dust to create a filler, and , then re-drilling the hole. Is this the best way to do this?

 

Thanks.

 

 

wheelaxle1_zpsl6rrz46a.jpg

 

 

 


How to secure very small parts for painting,........

18 March 2015 - 02:26 AM

Hi, I'm working on a Revell parts pack Blown 427 FE Ford motor that has a coil the size of a small sun flower seed and I'm trying to figure out a way to secure the piece for painting, either brush or spray. The best thing I've not tried yet is to attach the piece to a cut off tooth pick using Liquitape or some other kind of adhesive.

 

Does anyone know of an effecient way of doing this? Thanks!


Plug boots for second generation 426 Hemi? Does anyone make them?

05 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

It seems that I saw some ready made black rubber(?) plug boots for the 426 Hemi online somewhere but I can't find them now. Does anybody know who makes them, or , was I seeing things?

 

Thanks.


Krylon Short-Cuts Chrome over Tamiya gray surface primer, then,........

19 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

I've got a car with one coat of Tamiya gray surface primer on it, that I'm letting sit overnight. The plan is to cover this with Krylon Short-Cuts Chrome, and then , Tamiya Racing Blue , with a day, or so , drying time between each paint. Any problems? I just like that look of the Krylon chrome, it's more like silver paint then actual chrome. Thanks.


AMT 'Super Boss' Barracuda Funny Car! Update! #16: 3/23/15

30 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

Got this in the mail yesterday, ebay auction, $40.00. Will probably work on this slowly as I work on other builds. Not sure how hard it's going to be to get paint/glue off of a kit that's probably somewhere around 45yrs old. Since it's really not much of a glue bomb I might just leave some parts on in some places and just remove the paint, we'll see. The only breakage is with the three wheels that are off, that should be an easy fix. No cracks in the glass anywhere! It's going to be a slow go like I said because I don't want to flub this up. It looks like enamel paint so I guess the purple pond will be the first order of business for most of the car. The engine looks really good and was never painted, the chrome has taken on this really cool effect with age that I've never seen, it looks almost like Alclad. So I might just leave the engine white, (? yuck!) and work with washes for effects, instead of risking trying to get it apart and breaking something. Pretty much everything else looks like it can go to the pond. Any words of wisdom will surely be appreciated.   

 

 

Box art :)  

 

(You can see where the original builder tried to match the blue on the box and then changed their mind. Possibly inspired by the gold on the blower decided that a single color was better/easier):

 

 

 

 

IMG_0667_zps2bc81976.jpg

 

kitfeatures-1_zps97bb8b0e.jpg

 

 

The original Kmart price sticker:

 

stick-1_zpsaba05343.jpg

 

 

Side view of the car as it is now; (I should have stuck the slicks in for this one :(

 

sideviewbody_zps5e42ae1e.jpg

 

 

Everything laid out together:

 

wholekit-1_zps9b75298d.jpg

 

 

Floating in mid-air:

 

IMG_0677_zps6bd2169f.jpg

 

 

The front end and rear glass; (the grill insert is in the " Everything laid out shot") :

 

IMG_0675_zpsc1637948.jpg

 

 

Close-up of the engine:

 

IMG_0687_zpse8c6ca25.jpg

 

Notice the mold sharpness and the hue of the aged headers:

 

IMG_0697_zpsb2786d3a.jpg

 

 

The interior:

 

IMG_0680_zps880b2969.jpg

 

 

As you can see it's doable, I'm excited!

 

 

Gene