Jump to content


BBossman1

Member Since 15 Jan 2014
Offline Last Active Feb 20 2014 04:13 AM
-----

Topics I've Started

Revell Hemi Dart

19 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

This being my first attempt at modeling in over 30 years, I decided I was not going to shoot for the sky and build a super detailed model, but instead create a reasonably accurate depiction of the original car using what is in the kit.

 

Upon receiving the kit and examining the box art, instructions and the actual body, I was less than thrilled with the shape of the rear wheel openings used for the Hemi version.  The scribe lines on the body are a good starting point, but having seen these cars in person it is just not very accurate.  I was particularly concerned with the fore and aft dimensions as well as the shape of the forward part of the wheel opening.

 

I began doing research which led me to an interesting dedicated racing site which contained a thread over 250 pages long where the folks involved where attempting to document the lineage of all the 68 Hemi Darts and Hemi Barracudas.  The thread had hundreds of photos from when these cars were first campaigned in NHRA Super Stock.  I discovered that due to class rules, racers where not permitted to alter frame rails or add wheel tubs to gain clearance for the class legal maximum tire size.  The only choice was to open up wheel arches of the body.  Hurst accomplished this by opening the wheel arch to almost the maximum interior dimension of the outer wheel house.  Hurst used as reciprocating saw, BFH, body hammer, dolly and braising torches to accomplish this.  It was actually pretty crude in appearance, most had variations in shape from car to car and even side to side, depending on who did the work.  There were even gaps in the sheet metal after the work was performed.

 

Armed with this information, I decided to mock things up to see what I had to work with.  I temporarily assembled the interior tub, firewall and core support.  I then inserted the chassis into the body to see where I was at.  I began by tracing the shape of the inner wheel well onto the body. At this point I'll also offer the ubiquitous apology for poor cell phone pics.

 

 

Once I had the tracing I pulled it all apart and began roughing in the shape of the wheel opening.  The new opening and my original tracing can be seen here…

 

39374732-ecd0-4b62-8d0d-18325f20717c_zps

 

 

My research also revealed that the new shape also required alteration of the inner rocker panel, as it now protruded into the wheel opening.  Here is a picture courtesy of Mosher's Motors from a restoration which shows the modifications done to the wheel opening and rocker…

 

b7dcd0ad-4eee-47ea-a18f-938689c56420_zps

 

 

After ruffing in the opening, I mocked everything up again to see where I was at.  I immediately knew I was on the right track.  You can see in this picture that the front of the opening exposes the front of the wheel house and inner rocker…

 

d8a56b7a-f2df-4db2-850d-e0413299bd68_zps

 

 

I trimmed away the inner rocker and used a little heat to reform the wheel well…

 

7394c7db-8b8d-4125-a77c-635655ac29cf_zps

 

 

 

 

I’ll be back when I've cleaned everything up and made more progress.

 

 

 


Over 30 years for me...

18 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

I've been out of the scale auto modeling hobby for over 30 years.  I've got some time on my hands so I decided to give it a try again.  I'm primarily a MOPAR fan, having owned a 1:1 '69 Road Runner and a '73 340 Duster in my 20's.

 

I'm jumping back in with a Revell 1/25 '69 Dodge Dart Hemi kit.  My plan is to go for an "as delivered from Hurst" version.  I'll be posting my progress in the "On The Workbench" sub-forum.

 

Wish me luck!