Jump to content


Hawk312

Member Since 03 Jul 2008
Offline Last Active Yesterday, 06:54 PM
-----

Topics I've Started

Accurate size modern slicks - No more Pegasus/So Real slicks?

09 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

What are you guys using for accurate diameter slicks for modern funny cars/top fuel? I was looking around for the Pegasus (old So Real) slicks, as they are close to the correct diameter and fit almost any wheel because of their soft rubber. But it appears Pegasus dropped these, as they are out of stock everywhere that I can find. I was thinking of going with Competition Resin`s FC/TF slicks, but am concerned with possible fitment issues because of the hard compound. I will be using the "super trick" wheels from the Revell Chevelle Malibu kit.

Thanks!


Littlemotorkarco for chroming resin parts?

11 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

Does anyone have experience with this company? How is the quality? How about turn around times? Are they responsive?

Thanks!


`74 Gene Snow Vega Funny Car

09 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

After the L88 corvette project, which is going on 6 months now, I am looking to do something quick and easy. Hopefully this will do it. I had this one sitting around for well over a decade, possibly 2. Also, this is starting out as the Snow car, but may end up as the Prudhomme Army Monza Funny Car. We shall see.  :D  B)

First, the built model pictured is not what is in the box. The box art appears to be the 1/16th kit. I was really disappointed with the actual contents, which is why it was shelved for so long. The wheels and tires are horribly undersized and in no way accurate (though the rear wheels are close). The tires are also the two piece versions, split down the middle. So I will be borrowing parts from other kits.

Here is what I am starting with:

IMG_2959_zpsf0b8d47d.jpg

 

And here is what I have so far:

  snow_zps29542147.jpg

 

snowtires_zps8c887781.jpg

 

 

I made a mold and cast the wheels from the `66 Malibu kit for this build to replace the kit wheels. 

The tires above, from left to right, a tire from a newer Revell F/C kit, the same plus the rear wheel from the Malibu kit, the kit wheel and tire (notice the size difference), and a Pegasus/So-Real slick and newer top fuel kit wheel. Notice the size difference of the kit tire and the tire on the far right, and the kit tire is in the foreground! The Pegasus/So-Real scales out to about 36" if memory serves me.


Casting resin and air bubbles

01 September 2014 - 03:20 AM

I am using a simple 1 piece mold cast from a kit wheel. The mold itself looks perfect. When I cast the wheels though, there is always air bubbles right around the rim or around the wheel lugs/center cap area. I have tried both the 3 minute white and 7 minute tan alumilite casting resin. I tried pouring very slowly immediately after mixing and "flexing" the mold immediately after pouring which seems to help alot, but I still always have an air bubble somewhere. I have also tried using baby powder without much success. Poking holes through the bottom of the mold doesn`t seem to help either. Is there something else I need to do? Or what other options does one have if they are on a tight budget? Is switching resins my only choice?

Thanks.


1/12 `67 Corvette L-88 - in progress

12 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

Ok, I am going to give a try on a work in progress thread. Updates might be few and far between as I am not good with these.  :D
So I am going to try to build a red on red L88 coupe without side pipes and with Rallye wheels, like the one that went across Barrett Jackson.
I will be using the Monogram `67 Covette Coupe kit from the mid-90`s. This will take alot of modification to get right. Some of you may remember the "Big Scale Beauty" issue from a few years ago. I will follow the same procedures as I documented there, but this will take more modification given the exhaust, chassis, and body work needed to match the real car.
 
The first problem is the sink marks in the chassis. Since this will be a full detail build including chalk markings, it would make no sense to not address this. 
achassis_zpsc2a9ccf8.jpg
 
After some sanding:
 
achassis3_zps7384e55c.jpg
 
Since the 1:1 car doesn`t have side pipes, exhaust pipes that make their way through the frame cross-member will need to be fabricated. And since the cross member is solid, I needed to carve out holes for the pipes. Given the surrounding surfaces that get in the way, this was a little more difficult than it looks:
 
achassis2_zpsa86ab7e9.jpg
 
The finished and painted chassis:
 
achassis4_zps35e84add.jpg
 
I have a gripe with kits that have two engine halves that divide the oil pan. Sanding, filling, priming, and eventually painting rectify this:
 
 
 
aengine_zps3c705d53.jpg
 
This car has no heater. That means removing the heater box from the firewall. It also has a special intake that needed to be fabricated. The bottom carburetor cover piece is actually one of the drag wheels conformed to the general shape of the cover using an open flame, then the outer rim removed. I am using filler putty to fill in the details and to get an accurate shape. The top small cover is actually the aftermarket Moroso air cleaner lid trimmed to the size you see here. The L-88 cars had the unshielded spark plug wires (no radios) and were a flat orangish red.
 
aparts_zpsa4b37132.jpg
 
Since there is no heater and radio, and the kit version comes with these, I needed to carefully remove them. This is tricky because of the surrounding ridges in the dash. But lots of careful trimming, sanding, and filling results in this:
 
adash_zpsb8e6b564.jpg
 
The 1:1 car is Rally Red with Tuxedo Black striping. This is what it looks like right after being sprayed from the can before any sanding or polishing. I have my work cut out. Automotive lacquers are used throughout.
 
abody_zps1155855d.jpg