Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Karl LaFong

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Karl LaFong

  • Rank
    MCM Friend

Previous Fields

  • Scale I Build

Profile Information

  • Location
    Philadelphia Area
  • Full Name
    Keith Jones

Recent Profile Visitors

2,727 profile views
  1. MPC Dodge Daytona done as a mini stock. Please see WIP section for in progress shots. In short - Roll bar from MPC '78 Firebird, seat from Revell '90 Mustang, wheels from MPC Stock Car, paint is Testor's "Go Mango", various parts box decals. I started it several years ago; going through some kits I decided that since it was well on it's way, I'd finish it. A bit rough, but I've never seen a smooth mini stock.
  2. This one is almost done - interior installed and up on all 4 wheels. Just needs the front fascia, decals, and minor touchup - next stop the completed area.
  3. Made some more progress. Seatbelts and seats installed, Model Car Garage gauges for the instrument panel, and a front roll bar hoop constructed from 1/16th inch styrene covered wire. Unfortunately the cage broke apart when I dry assembled it, so I'll re-glue it after the body is attached to the chassis.
  4. Another stalled project brought back to life. Most of the mini stocks I've seen run 4 lugged wheels; I couldn't find any suitable wheels. During the last couple of weeks the least of my worries is having the correct wheels on a model, plus I have found pictures of minis running 5 lug wheels. I was taken with the looks of this mini stock : My version is painted Testor's Go Mango. Wheels are from an MPC stock car, mounted on the kit's tires. The engine was converted to a carb induction and wired. The roll bar is from an MPC Firebird or Camaro, the seat is from the Revell 1990 Mustang dragster. The steering wheel and fire extinguisher are parts box items. Thanks for looking!
  5. I had started this several years ago, but it ended up in the stalled projects pile. Now that I have time on my hands, I've decided to finish it. Originally it was painted Testor's Huggar Orange (which is pretty close to a factory IH color). The tailgate and wheel flairs were removed. I repainted it Tamiya Brilliant Orange, substituted the roll bar from the Revell Baja Bronco, and wired the engine. The next major hurtle is coming up with a 6 point roll bar ( I HATE fabrication work!), other then that I'm on way.
  6. You could always send them to Pennsylvania - they are one of the few birds that eats spotted lanternflys.
  7. For more obscurities, head over to the Drastic Plastic site - anybody remember the "T.H.E. Cat" Corvette or the Porter from "My Mother the Car"? https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/tv--movie/
  8. Details & in progress shots in the On the Workbench: Pickups etc. section. In brief, Revell '50 F1 powered by a Revell Experimental Turbine engine, mounted on a Revell 40 Ford chassis.
  9. In the homestretch (I hope). The front looked naked without a grill, so I used the grill from the '50 F1, and added an alternator and other details , including a Replicas and Miniatures oil cooler mounted behind the grill. When my dad was stationed in the Southwest Pacific during World War II, he took several pictures of plane nose art, including the B-24 "Hangover Haven II". I had planned to build a model of it, but lost interest, so I used the decal (minus the "II") on the truck.
  10. I have the interior completed and installed. The steering wheel is a Model Car Garage banjo steering wheel item with an AMT 1936 Ford rim. I didn't like the looks of the dashboard switches; they were replaced with MCG dashboard details. Since there's no transmission, there's no need for a shift lever. The bed contains a fuel cell from a MPC stock car kit, painted Tamiya NATO green. I'll install the filler later. O gauge diamond plate sheet painted Testor's magnesium replaces the original wood grain floor. Various wires, bits, and bobs have been added to the engine. I hope to wrap this up in the next week or so.
  11. Yup, it's a golden oldie - if you check out '63-65 era Model Car Science or Car Modeler, there were plenty of cars featured with this engine. The one thing about this mill, which was pointed out elsewhere in the Forum, is that it isn't based on an actual turbine engine, so you could call it a steam, atomic, matter/antimatter, or what have you, and you would still have a completely accurate engine 😁. (Somewhere a rivet-counter is gnashing his/her teeth...). I hope I can find anther one at a reasonable price, I have a steam powered vehicle in mind.
  • Create New...