Ace, that sounds ace, I'll try the mask thing, thanks. Thanks Ray, can't wait to see the big Ford. Carl! I can't believe I've inspired you to want to build a kit, yes! Have you built one of these before? Andy, they are the kit stacks, I de-chromed them and did a lot of sanding/prepping and then shot them with Alclad chrome, out of the spray can. The engine has been uninstalled due to forces beyond my control, stay tuned!
Andy, I certainly believe that about your cat. Cat's love playing with things that are 'not' cat toys. My black cat is quite the pistol. Ace, I think I might hang on to this when I get it done! Thanks for the positive words my friend. Kevin, I think it's a classic too, how can you 'not' like a AWB '65 Mustang funny car? Here's what I've got so far: One of the rear tires looks kind of crooked in the pic but it's the camera, bends it weird somehow. And I've still got a couple of places to touch up as you can see.
One other thing that is 'off' here is the front axle. The drivers side wheel/tire are off the ground slightly. I didn't catch this when I epoxied the piece on, so , that means the other side is further extended which could be why I had some difficulty attaching the trailing link to the chassis on that side, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't stay in place when I was attaching it. Here's a pic of how things lay underneath, there are still a couple of things to finish up: Like the brake disk that has slid out on the passenger side rear wheel. Man, taking photos sure does let you know where you're at.
There is no adhesive on the rear shocks. The fit was 'just' tight enough that for me to place the shocks into the chassis then just 'slid' the tops along the axle housings(?) until the tabs slid into the holes. Tricky little buggers those shocks.
Thanks Kevin, hope this thread helps on your build, love your signature. Ace, the headers are from this kit, the engine lines up just like the kit engine, the oil plug, (that used to be there) , sits halfway across the cross-member, but that doesn't help line it up side to side, or , the angle. Looks like I'll have to get out my eyeball tool from Micro-Mark. I hope I get it right, 'cause right now the stacks fit just fine through the cutout in the hood.
Hey Carl thanks, and, good question! I used Dupli-Color Hot Rod Gray ( I love that color!) primer, and , then Tamiya Light Gun Metal (TS-42) , then Testors Dull Coat clear. Three brands! It's fairly close to the color that some of these valve covers came in, should be a little darker for a closer match. The trailing links are in, I'll have pics shortly.
Wow, thanks for the encouragement you guys. Bob, thanks. There are plenty of weird things about the way this car fits together, that make sense with what you say. I think I've got the tub issues solved at least to the point that I put on the body and get things lined up moderately well, I'll find out in a few days! Alan, thanks, glad you're liking it. Ha, ha, on the paint thing! I'm always looking for the easy way out, and , it never works! I had another of these kit, so , I just used the other rear panel and filled it in, not the greatest job but now I know something new. I used to hate the very idea of using putty. I had thought of the plate idea too. Ace, I got those tabs in for the rear valence, (redid both the front and rear) , it looks like it's going to work. Then it will be time to polish the body. Here's the most recent progress shots: Here's the panels and the engine: