Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

Previous Fields

  • Scale I Build
    1/24 1/25

Profile Information

  • Location
    Kalispell, Mt
  • Full Name
    Paul Tolonen

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Speedpro's Achievements

MCM Friend

MCM Friend (4/6)

  1. The malibu ss had a tunnel ram intake while the street rat had a blower. They had different hoods. The street rat also had a roll bar and no back seat. Other than that (and the rear end deal and decals) they are the same. Oh, Can't forget the wheels!
  2. After looking at my old parts it looks like the malibu SS (the black car) had a dana and the red or orange car had the 12 bolt. But if you look at the '77 box art of the original issue black car you can clearly see it has a 12 bolt as does the street rat. I think trying to remember back 40 yrs confirms it, I'm just getting old!! By counting the old parts i could find it looks like i built more street rats than super sports so maybe that's why i'm thinking they all had 12 bolt rears. And all the 12 bolt covers are molded in red or orange.
  3. Excellent work! Colors different than what i normally see. Good choice.
  4. Nice rod! Has kind of a 90's vibe going on. Great work.
  5. Real nice! I like what you did with the headlamps. Suicide doors is a nice touch. And that engine looks great.
  6. While working on the rear axle i had this feeling it wasn't right. Something has changed! I only remember it had a 12 bolt chevy axle. I guess i'v only built But this kit has a dana 60! When did they change that i thought. After some research i found that the first edition '77 kit #2219 had the 12 bolt. Then in '91 the reissue came out and it has the dana 60. And so does the '98 issue. The sister kit '66 malibu street rat (the red car) still has the 12 bolt axle. So why on earth would they retool with a dana 60 and ditch the chevy axle. The cover on the left is from the street rat. i have a couple original rear axles but they have been narrowed. I will have to do some surgery to fix this as i want a 12 bolt in the car. Any body notice this before? e
  7. Got the majority of the parts all cleaned up and detailed. Put the engine long block together and the trans. Most parts ready for paint. Shaved the firewall of the two box's and wiring. Fitting of the firewall and side frames..................... Some of the pin and sink marks i had to remove............................ Parts cleaned up.............................
  8. Thanks wrenchr, You beat me to the answer. Was just going to say the same thing. Also, the lindberg kit builds up very nice.
  9. "It's too bad that there isn't a really good 1966 Chevelle available". Lindberg has the best '66 chevelle SS. It in no way share's the same problem with the windscreen area of the roof of the monogram kit. Here is a look at the lindberg chevelle................. And here is a build i'm doing of that car............... I'm not going to try and fix this problem. I just want to build this Out of the box for my collection because all the others i'v done in the past have turned into parts cars. As i stated, I''m just going to fix fitment issues. Not body molding issues.
  10. This is a kit that i have built several times over the years. The first one i built was in '79 and through out the years used up many of these for parts for other builds. A few weeks ago i had a visit from my friend of many years @Kit Karson and he surprised me with a couple of chevelle kits. This kit from '98 being one of them. So now here i am at my bench building one again. Only this time i have a few miles under my belt building models and am going to have a go at this kit one more time. One thing about this kit is its name on the box '66 Malibu SS. While the car is a 1966, It is not a malibu SS per say. It is a chevelle SS. The malibu is a base model car. When you bought a super sport model it was call a chevelle super sport. The malibu SS is a canadian built super sport and is quit a bit different the the american built car. I'm not going to get into that here thought. So here we go.................. Pulled all the parts and took inventory of them. They were then washed and let dry. All the parts were then cut off the tree's and each one will get cleaned up and test fit. These kits have a few problem areas and i will address these areas for proper fit. The first thing i worked on is the fitment of the dash to body. If this is not done the rear axle will not be in center to the rear wheel opening because the chassis to body will not fit together properly. The chassis will instead fit to the rear because the interior bucket is not in the right position caused by the dash fitment. Starting with the glass, All the numbers and letters on the bottom of the roof were removed and the area sanded (still needs more sanding done) smooth so as the glass will sit flat inside. The dash was first lowered a little in the interior bucket. Next i started filing on the leading edge of the dash till the body and interior bucket fit together nicely and the chassis was center in the rear wheel wells. Been working on cleaning up other parts of pin, sink marks and casting imperfections due to the old molds. More to come and thanks for looking................
  11. Perfection at it's best! Paint is beautiful and love the color. Very nice! I remember some of those builds in the back ground from back in the day. Some fine work.
  12. Speedpro

    King "T"

    @Dennis Lacy @Rocking Rodney Rat @Kit Karson This is an opportunity to tie a knot in our relationship! I'm standing in the garage with the guy that restored the original King T! -KK
  13. Very nice clean build!
  14. Love these old pro stock race cars. Very nice.
  15. Really nice paint! Excellent detail work. Engine turned out great.
  • Create New...