No, it's not a Chevette... in the US it was also called a Sunbird at some point. I think it was the direct descendent of the Vega. IT was also the Chevy Cavalier, Buick Skyhawk, Olds Firenza, and there may have been a Caddy version, too.
After looking at this closely, it's interesting that the car was using snow chains without any snow on the ground (but wet streets) and no chains on the right front. Not hard to figure out why the accident happened.
So, this project is finally getting back on the table. It seems to get interfered with by major life changes, but hopefully that slows down a bit and this can keep rolling. To that end, I started on the front wheels. I can't stand the way that kit front wire wheels look, because they aren't scale at all, and make the model look like a toy. It's one of the major week links in most dragster kits and the most difficult to fix. I found these very pretty, very detailed and very expensive dragster front wire wheels from Ted’s Modeling Marketplace. They are made by Machined Aluminum Specialists and consist of lathe-turned hoops and hub, photoetched wire centers and rubber tires. The center hub needs a touch of handwork to clean up. The wire centers get trimmed form their tree, then delicately bent to form the dish of the wheel. The trick is getting everything centered up and glued, without making a mess, and keeping it all lined up properly. It's a bit tricky, and would be nice if there was a fixture to assemble them with, but it can be done with patience. If they weren't so expensive, I would stock up on more of them for future builds. Sure are pretty, though.
Chill out. How exactly did I state a source? And where are these unwritten rules for this "game?" I didn't post links or anything else... just said it was a real car, which it is. It says Nitro Thunder on the side of the car—that's not a secret. If the car is a model, nothing I said is false, either—lots of replicas on these boards. Find something else to get tweaked about.
No new progress on this build, guys. I'm after the brutal winter we had here in the Midwest, I'm taking every opportunity to be outdoors golfing, shooting, riding bikes or spending time with the kids. Hiding in the cold basement is for the cold season. I probably won't be pushing this one out again until the fall. It won't be shelved indefinitely, you can count on it.
Hi guys, the build is still on my work surface, waiting to be picked back up again. Between working 60-80 hours a week since February and just recently fighting through pneumonia, there has been very little time to devote to things like this. Not to mention that with the spring finally treating us well, I haven't been inclined to lock myself in a cold, windowless basement.
Things will pick up again eventually, but for now, the project is a bit mummified.
Charlie, a common comment about your work is how CLEAN it is. I'm amazed at the lack of glue edges, paint scrapes or anything else we all usually suffer from somehow. Any tips on how to work so clean and excess free?
No real progress to report on so far, as I wait for a boat load of 392 Hemi engine pieces, a late-arriving trade from the boards here and a general lack of "me" time to work on the car.
But, I have been busy with the reference materials. Two big pieces that will prove to be absolutely priceless as I move forward with this car.
One, I found through some searches that the current owner and restorer of the Old Master, Pete Eastwood is also an active member at the H.A.M.B. hot rod boards, so I contacted him through the forums. Renowned in his own right for his hot rods, he has already proven to be helpful in clarifying details of the car for me, and said he'd be willing to help with anything else I needed to know about the car.
Two, I tracked down Wes Allison, the Hot Rod photographer that shot the car for the January 2013 article about the car. He was able to provide the proof sheets of the raw photos from the shoot, which include about 4x what I was already able to find from the article. A bunch of views of plumbing, pedals, steering and other things that I had not been able to see in other photos.
Both of these contacts will make this build infinitely greater than I could have ever hoped to do when I started this hair-brained idea.
I'm even more excited for this project now than I was when it began!
Storing upside down will also keep it from ever drying out (this works with latex house paints, too). I have Testor's and Model Master paint that is over 15 years old that is perfectly usable because there was no air allowed to enter the seam at the lid. Excellent tip and it makes your paint almost last indefinitely.