Thanks guys. Brad, I haven't been here on this topic either for a while, and now I see the pics are gone. Hmm, looks like some serious PB issue. I have all of the pics though, just don't feel like straightening things out at this time. The motor is as good as done, and moving to the interior soon, then the front end, not much left to do there.
Tim, removing my comments was not the offer, just editing the comments was the offering. I don't remember reading that you accept only positive replies or comments. I find it strange that you receive praise from only members of your choice. But then we both know that sometimes criticism goes both ways, don't we? Your preference may not be the same as mine. Still wonderful work on the fronts wheels.
Hi Jaroslav, I'm not a truck expert, but recently I bashed an AMT 359, and lowered the rig drastically. The kit suspension will not work for lowering a rig this much. Using kit parts, you would have to cheat by bending and cutting parts that would otherwise not look realistic. I'd suggest, mount the wheels and tires to the axles you want to use, then match these up to the frame you plan to use. You will see something drastic has to happen to make this work. Consider a "C" cut in the frame rails to let the axles sit closer to the top of the frame rails. This is done on 1:1 custom trucks, a good remedy. Otherwise, you will have to make a more adjustable rear suspension from scratch. As an example, if you don't mind, I chose the current and modern day axle setup from Volvo/Mack. This allowed lots of room for lowering the rig to where I wanted the thing to sit;
It worked very well, but this setup was for a custom truck. If you want a stock axle setup, I can't help you.
UPDATE: Today a little further on with the motor buildup. The design of the blower manifold just screams for injectors, no way I can leave these out. So, 8 holes to cut into hard nickel. The runners a solid too, so I wanted to go just deep enough, maybe 1,5mm, to hold a 1mm brass tube. This way there'll be lots of possibilities to hook the fuel lines up. More on this later on. First off, the new manifold situation with the prepped holes;
Just a mockup, enough room?
Blower hat prepped for upcoming fuel lines;
I like the slight shine, a nice chrome look, but not highly polished. Makes a nice contrast. Here the hat with prepped parts for the upper fuel lines;
Here the mocked fuel lines for the upper injectors;
Here the finished prepped manifold injectors, plus the spark plug holes got a brass liner;
Up front a bar was added for the belt tension pulley, and the bottom pulley was affixed. I was seriously thinking about making a thinner front cover to let the blower snout be back further on the motor, maybe, maybe....just not now;
Not sure at this time if the manifold injectors get a single line each, or if I'll use a log type setup. Thoughts are, the left side of the blower appears to be somewhat neglected since the fuel lines are right side. I'll have to study some more reference pics, this fuel setup stuff is difficult and not that easy to sort out. More coming up. Thanks for looking, feel free to comment or offer ideas, no problem.
Something simple to report now. What a treat! Just around the corner is the city's oldest pizzeria, still in family hand, still plain and simple, still the best in town. No modern-type deep dish or junky loaded up pies here. The best I've ever had outside of Italy. Tuesdays bring a special offer. Pizza and a great Italian salad. The wife and I do this almost every week for lunch, 2 great original Italian pizzas and 2 great salads, including tip, $17.50. This pleases me.
Hi Tim, not only does the car on this current thread look amazingly clean, the one posted on above link is fantastic as well. I keep looking to try and find a way to make my own appear this clear and perfect, what a great incentive! Question: Pic #45, especially concerning the grill shell, it looks like metal. The light reflects, the blue oval, the whole deal is overwhelming. I've seen lots of polished nickel, but never any styrene that has that kind of shine. Could you offer some insight? Greetings, Michael
Meantime, I'm thinking ditto. The last truck project looks finished from a distance, what a shame. I know though from ship building days, here and there touch-ups are great for in-between projects, also for the dark and short winter days coming up.
UPDATE: Some progress on the motor buildup today. Metal pulleys in aluminum from VCG Resins will be adapted, the bottom crank pulley is bashed from a Revell kit, but cast in nickel with provisions for 6 bolts, I figured this might add a little detail to this motor. The blower snout had to be shortened, also vintage Revell, just the usual fitting issues with bashed parts, no real problem. Here a few progress pics;
The blower front plate has been prepped for the safety screen and the starter brackets;
The blower hat will have 8 port injection, but none on the blower manifold (I forgot to add those, too late. Nickel is too hard to bore 8 tiny holes),;
The blower hat still has lots of work left. Fuel system and such, and I'd like movable butterflies if possible. They'll have some kind of deal added, time will tell. Also, next up is a (maybe) milled bar for the middle, adjustable pulley for the blower belt. Lots of small units to be built, more to come.