Took another tack with the spark plug wires. I had glued them to the plugs but they broke off when I tried to bend them towards the shield. I'll try the other way. Also started on the ignition shield for the other 3 engines.
Here is a quick rundown to explain the differences between the different R engines, from an article by Doug Crall who looks like the expert on the matter. R1-289 CID,10.5-1 compression, flat top pistons, 4barrel AFB, 260 degree cam. estimated 240hp. R2-289 CID, 9.0-1 compression, flat top pistons, belt driven Paxton supercharger, AFB carb, Estimated 290-300hp R3-304.5 CID, 276 or 288 degree cam, Paxton supercharger,non-sealed AFB carb inside a cast pressure box. Estimated 335hp. There were only 9 production R3s (all 64's) made by Paxton products , a division of Studebaker (Granatelli brothers). There are probably 20 or so factory built (crate engines) and another 50 or so built up to R3 specs. R4-304.5 CID, 12.0-1 compression, Forged-true pistons, dual 4-barrel AFB carbs, same cam selection as R3. Only one production engine in a 64 Daytona. That engine has been restored.
There was also an R4 Daytona convertible created at the factory but lost to history. R5-By Andy Granatelli, not Studebaker, 304.5 CID. He called it Duo Cento because it was to do 200mph on the salt. Modified bendix FI. Dual Paxton superchargers. Estimated over 500hp. That engine has also been restored. Apparently some of the parts were missing and had to be made.
Since we are now on the bench, I decided to continue here. I started on the R2, using a Starliner engine and some Avanti engines bought on eBay. The background story is here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/117564-a-studebaker-story/#comment-1703106 The belt & pulley assembly is in place. It needed a bit more than the shim I mentioned earlier to make the alternator and compressor fit the pulleys. they are from different kits.